Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Will the Rams ever embrace the TE position?

In its long history, the Rams have had great players at virtually all the "skill positions" on offense. At RB, they have had a Hall of Famer (Eric Dickerson) two future HOFs (Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk) and several other 1,000 yard backs (Lawrence McCutchen, Wendell Tyler, Steven Jackson, etc.). At WR, the team has two HOFs (Elroy Hirsh, Tom Fears) three potential HOFs (Henry Ellard, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt) and several other notables (Jack Snow, Ron Jessie, Harold Jackson, Flipper Anderson). Even at QB, the Rams have two HOFs (Bob Waterfield, Norm Van Brocklin) and two league MVPs (Roman Gabriel, Kurt Warner).

Then, you get to TE. The Rams have never had a great TE. Probably their best was Pete Holohan, who in his brief tenure with the Rams, had the only really good year for a TE in 1988 (59 receptions, 640 yards, 3 TDs).

Today, the TE position has become more important than ever. Players like Antonio Gates, Jeremy Shockey, Heath Miller, Randy McMichael and Alge Crumpler have become key targets and game changers.

While defense remains the No. 1 priority for this offseason, maybe the time has come for the Rams to finally look at the TE position as a key.

Certainly, Marc Bulger would benefit from having a large target who can go over the middle and provide a real threat in the Red Zone. Also, by tying up a safety in coverage, a good TE would open things up even more for Holt, Bruce, Curtis and McDonald.

This year's draft seems to be pretty deep at the TE position. Once the Rams have addressed the key needs on defense, the TE position should be high on the list.

Finally.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Will the Rams ever embrace the TE position?

I think ernie conwell was better than pete h.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Conwell was probably a better all-around TE than Holohan, but his best receiving year as a Ram was 2001, when he had 38 receptions, 431 yards and 4 TDs.

Again, not a major part of the offense, relatively speaking.

I'd like to see a Ram TE who catches 50+ passes and scores 8-10 TDs.

I think tight end is a luxery for us cap wise. I would rather spend the money on defense. I agree 100% that we could use an upgrade, i am just not sure that i want to allocate resources to it given our needs on defense. I could be convinced otherwise if the right guy were available, but you only have one ball to throw around and i think we have plenty of weapons on offense with which to dominate. Part of this is just a decision to throw it to the tight end, its not like our guys have been repeatedly dropping passes, its just that for the most part, we never throw to them.

my view on tight end is that we need a REALLY dominant blocker who can do the job in short yardage etc. Manu, notwithstanding his occassional big catch, is still a lousy blocker for the most part.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Then, you get to TE. The Rams have never had a great TE. Probably their best was Pete Holohan, who in his brief tenure with the Rams, had the only really good year for a TE in 1988 (59 receptions, 640 yards, 3 TDs).
    Ah the memories;

Good post AV, and you are right, we need a solid TE, probably 2. That would definitely give the offense a boost particularly in the red zone.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I really like the TE Byrd out of USC. They say he has been impressive at the Senior Bowl and he has good hands as a WR. I wouldnt mind seeing him in Blue and Gold.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Welker83 is offline Registered User

Welcome to the Linehan days!!!! Linehan uses extensive use of TE's. His favorite Package is 2 TE. Now he uses 2 different types of TE's. The first is the receiving TE in the Randy Mcmichael, Wiggins type. THey will be in on every package to provide a receiving and blocking threat. The next TE is really a Hybrid. We used Alex Holmes, the vikes used Kleinsauser. Basically they are an H-back. Which is a Tweener guy between a FB and a TE. Generally they are shorter 6'1"-6'4". and Heavier 265+. Their primary role is blocking. Linehans favorite move is to line up with 2 TE's(1 of them the H-back) on the line on either side. Then the QB motions the H-back into motion and they line up in front of the RB as a blocker and plow the way. Generally the H-back wont catch many balls.

Also Linehan learned a trick from reknowned OL coack Hudson Houck. During practice he has the TE's do drills with the offensive line. The reasoning is that Most TE's have bad blocking technique cause its seen as a secondary role. By teaching how to square up he turned randy Mcmichael from a blocking liability to a blocking strength. By the end of the Year randt was blocking more cause he kept opening up big runs for our RB's..

So in short linehan really uses the 2 TE more than the 3 receiver pkg. It helps with the power run a lot more. Subsequently the FB gets almost no passes thrown to him, and is brought in almost exclusivly to be a blocker on running plays... So you just need a no-name smasher...

Hope this helps...
    And it looked like such a good day...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Tony Gonzolas.

Also, how can a tightend NOT block? I don't get it. They're standing right there in the way. .....Oh.......never mind. Then how did the standing in the way-not blocking tightend get here anyway without moving or blocking or catching? IT'S THE NFL DAMMIT:bling: .
    Let the hype begin.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I think we need a TE in the draft but I do not think we should look for one untill the third round,D is the way too go with our first 2 picks and if we dont I will be very dissapointed

RealRam is online now Registered User

Bring back Billy Truax, No. 87!

If Roland Williams remains in the roster, I expect some good consistency out of him, mainly as an experienced receiver at the TE position.

No doubt there will be an increase in TE activity / productivity.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Vernon Davis take him 1st round.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I have always felt that our offense struggled in the red zone once we lost Ernie Conwell. He may not have been the best, but he really fit into our offensive scheme and seemed to open things up for others just with the threat of him being there. Manu just never developed and is just so awkward and clumsy; mumblin, bumblin, stumblin, but seldom rumblin. He shucks blocks rather than makes them. We do need a new one. I liked the Texas tight end. Not sure if he is a senior or available, but he was always available for a dump off pass in the BCS Championship. That is what we are missing; a good blocker and/or a short dump off pass outlet. Not sure about going for one though before the third round, but it is a glaring need.
    Last edited by SFCRamFan; -01-26-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I think tight end is a luxery for us cap wise. I would rather spend the money on defense. I agree 100% that we could use an upgrade, i am just not sure that i want to allocate resources to it given our needs on defense.
    Look at it this way, when our offense does well in the redzone and scores a lot of points it takes a ton of pressure off of our defense, which in turn makes them better. So of course like you said we need to fill big holes on defense but I don't think we can afford to think of a good TE as a luxury, it's a necessity, maybe not first or second round but it is a huge need.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Allow me to reminisce on Bill Truax's years. He was one of my favorite Rams / TEs. :football:

Year /Team / Gms./ Rcptn /Yds/ APC / TD
    1964 Rams | 10 | 0 0 0.0 0
    1965 Rams | 14 | 6 108 18.0 1
    1966 Rams | 14 | 29 314 10.8 0
    1967 Rams | 14 | 37 487 13.2 4
    1968 Rams | 14 | 35 417 11.9 3
    1969 Rams | 14 | 37 431 11.6 5
    1970 Rams | 14 | 36 420 11.7 3

Source: pro.football.reference.com

Thanks. :1:

realram, as we have dicussed on prior occasions, i am with you as a truax fan.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast