Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Will the Rams ever embrace the TE position?

I agree 100% that more conversions to tds in the red zone is a critical element to our future success. I just dont draw the conclusion that it is a "priority" for us to get a tight end to accomplish that. A better blocking tight end? Absolutely. We are terrible running in short yardage. As for catching the ball, we never threw to the tight end in the past when we were scoring tons of points and while it would help to have another weapon, i dont think its a "priority" It is on the list of needs, but i just cant rank it along with the needs on the defense.

Reasonable people can disagree.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Great post AV, I couldn't agree more. The TE position is now a critical spot on the offense. I do feel the defense is were we need to focus this off season and somehow improve at TE also.

:clanram:

RealRam is offline Registered User

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1971+Topps/152/

Sure thing, GC! :clanram: Say, I had forgotten he was traded to the Cowboys in '72.

Notice the Rams uni on this Topps card (see link above). Now that was a uniform! Looked great on short players or tall, like Truax at 6'-7" or Dick Bass, 5-9.

Was Cam Cameron a FA? Was he released? Hmmm. Anyone have knowledge on Aaron Walker, 3 yr. TE from Florida?

the 1971 topps card in the photo is very cool. personally, i like his 1969 rookie better. he appears on rams cards in 69-71. i believe that he may also be on a 1967 williams portrait as well as some other team issued regional sets.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bruce_wannabe Guest

i would loe to see mercedis lewis is but im gonna trade and of our picks to trade for him!!!!! is he were to fall to the late 2nd then i would trade up for him. but the rams have far too many glaring needs on defense... byrd would be a reasonable pick in the 3rd round. i like his athleticism and his tencatity in the running game. ARE THERE ANY REAL BIG NAME TE FREE AGENTS EVEN???

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    . As for catching the ball, we never threw to the tight end in the past when we were scoring tons of points.
    general counsel
    Exactly, and now we aren't scoring a ton of points, our redzone offense isn't great. So since we will be running a different offense we could use a prime pass catching TE to help our lack of redzone TDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

argpdt Guest

I have thought about this topic before. I had a hard time coming up with the starting TE for my all time Rams team a few years back. I went with Billy Truax at the time. I am a stats fanatic, so after seeing this post I started looking at Rams TEs over the years, and it is a pretty underutilized and/or mediocre bunch.

Below are stats for some of the Rams TEs over the years. As far as I can tell, no Rams TE has ever had more than 6 TDs receiving in one year, and the highest yardage total is 657 by Mike Barber in 1983.

The Rams could really use a playmaker at that position.

Player Year G Rec Yds Avg TD
    Marlin McKeever 1964 LAM 14 41 582 14.2 1
    Marlin McKeever 1965 LAM 12 44 542 12.3 4
    Billy Truax 1967 LAM 14 37 487 13.2 4
    Bob Klein 1974 LAM 14 24 336 14.0 4
    Terry Nelson 1977 LAM 14 31 401 12.9 3
    Terry Nelson 1978 LAM 13 23 344 15.0 0
    Terry Nelson 1979 LAM 16 25 293 11.7 3
    Mike Barber 1983 LAM 16 55 657 11.9 3
    Tony Hunter 1985 LAM 16 50 562 11.2 4
    Damone Johnson 1988 LAM 16 42 350 8.3 6
    Pete Holohan 1988 LAM 16 59 640 10.8 3
    Pete Holohan 1989 LAM 16 51 510 10.0 2
    Pete Holohan 1990 LAM 16 49 475 9.7 2
    Troy Drayton 1993 LAM 16 27 319 11.8 4
    Troy Drayton 1994 LAM 16 32 276 8.6 6
    Troy Drayton 1995 STL 16 47 458 9.7 4
    Ernie Conwell 1997 STL 16 38 404 10.6 4
    Roland Williams 1999 STL 16 25 226 9.0 6
    Ernie Conwell 2001 STL 16 38 431 11.3 4
    Ernie Conwell 2002 STL 16 34 419 12.3 2
    Brandon Manumaleuna 2003 STL 16 29 238 8.2 2

Manumaleuna will probably be gone, yes?

I'd like to think that Roland Williams will give it a shot one more time as a Ram (see 6 TDs in '99, posted by Argpdt above). He may not be 'spectacular' as TEs go, but would be productive on short, tough plays, either blocking, either receiving.

I'm tring to find out more on Aaron Walker's TE profile (other than his school and being 6-6 / 255).

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    I'd like to think that Roland Williams will give it a shot one more time as a Ram (see 6 TDs in '99
    1999 was a long time ago my friend. Roland is getting older and has been injury prone, not sure if he is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Its going to cost us dead money if we cut manu. i would like to know how much. if someone knew his signing bonus and lenght of the contract, we can figure it out easy enough. probably over a million bucks to let him go, just a guess. my memory was that his signing bonus was 4 mill plus.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This is a very interesting question, considering Linehan's extensive use of the TE position. I hope he addresses it one way or another because I do think it is a critical factor missing from our offense. Too bad we have so many needs on defense with the great talent at TE in the upcoming draft.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Welker83, I love your avatar, where did you get it? Also thanks for the insight on the 2 te sets. Should be a different offense than we are used to.

No, I wouldn't think of Roland Williams as the 'answer' to our TE needs either but just as a solid veteran, one that might be a consistent contributor.

Let's see if he overcomes his injury completely. :football:

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    No, I wouldn't think of Roland Williams as the 'answer' to our TE needs either but just as a solid veteran, one that might be a consistent contributor.

Let's see if he overcomes his injury completely. :football:
    I agree I would welcome Roland back as you said.

I also would not mind seeing us get one of these two Saint TEs.

Zach Hilton TE Saints (Restricted Free Agent) 26yrs old this year
    Ht: 6' 8" Wt: 268
    Born: 7/2/1980, Washington, DC
    College: North Carolina
    NFL Experience: 3rd season

News: Zach Hilton caught five passes for 74 yards in week 17.
    Impact: The next Boo Williams? Hilton put up 371 yards in the second half of the season, but will have to win a starting job in New Orleans all over again with a new coaching staff likely taking over. (Mon. Jan 2, 2006)

Started 6 games in place of the injured Conwell finished with 35 catches 396 yards.
    3rd most receptions.
    4th most yards on team.

Ernie Conwell TE Saints (Trade) 34 yrs old this year
    Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 255
    Born: 8/17/1972, Renton, WA
    College: Washington
    NFL Experience: 10th season

News: Ernie Conwell recorded 13 receptions, 165 yards and one TD in eight games this season as the No. 1 tight end in New Orleans. He missed eight games due to an injured knee and finished the season on injured reserve.
    (Updated 01/06/2006).

Started 9 games injured reserve at the end of the year finished with 13 catches 165 yards.

Zach Hilton produced nice numbers in limited time as a starter and could pass Conwell on the depth chart next season. Should he retain his spot, Conwell could be worth a late-round flier in 2006 drafts.
    (Updated 01/06/2006).

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think this is the most important issue facing the offence this coming season. Some of us have stated in earlier threads that having a good pass receiving TE really does free up the middle, creates more space for the run, creates more space on the outside, helps with protections and increases red zone efficiency.

We've had a schizophrenic offence for the last couple of years, great between the 20's, terrible in the red zone or in area where we have to smash it out of there. We've all seen it, it's no secret.

The difference between us and KC on offence over the last couple of years, it could be argued is Tony Gonzalez and threat he provides underneath. (Their O-line has a lot to do with it as well)

But..........I don't think we necessarily need to invest a No.1 in the position. I know the draft is somewhat of a lottery, but the number of TE No.1's that we've seen who haven't performed quite up to their billing is a little cautionary.

I think that in any draft, but particularly this one, we can beef up the position in the 2nd or even 3rd round the players available are there. I would also argue that Manu needs to be given another look in a situation where he's given different coaching (Great point Welker) and his position is given more emphasis.

I played TE in college in the UK and in amateur football, and whilst catching passes was great fun, I always saw runblocking as a distinct chore. When I came to play in a less open system that threw a lot less my run blocking got a lot better. Manu is big enough and quick enough and has soft enough hands to get it done.

Along these lines, I think Buster Drayton could have been a great one if we'd had better talent back then, and Holohan didn't strike anyone as exceptional until he had 2-3 good years with rams and caught 50 balls a year.

I think this is a big question for us next season and I'm really interested to see how Linehan approaches it. If he gets this one right, I think we'll all be delighted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast