Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Will the Rams be the "last to first" this year?

by Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager is a frequent contributor for FOXSports.com. You can e-mail him at PeterSchrager@gmail.com

3. Which team has the best chance of going from worst to first in its division?
    Since the NFL realigned its divisions in 2002, at least one team every season has jumped from last place to first in its division from one year to the next. It was Chiefs in '03; the Falcons and Chargers in '04; the Bears and Buccaneers in '05; the Saints in '06; and the Buccaneers in '07.
    The team to watch in '08? The St. Louis Rams. I know, I know, we've all fallen for the Rams before. But this year, St. Louis is truly a legitimate darkhorse. Banged up by injuries all of last season, St. Louis should be healthy and much improved come the start of the 2008 campaign. Chris Long adds a demon on the end, and Marc Bulger, Orlando Pace, and Steven Jackson are all back on the offensive side of the ball. Seattle should be strong and Arizona is a wild card, but St. Louis could be the squad to watch in the NFC West.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Will the Rams be the "last to first" this year?

I love how they dont even mention the ********.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    by Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager is a frequent contributor for FOXSports.com. You can e-mail him at PeterSchrager@gmail.com

Since the NFL realigned its divisions in 2002, at least one team every season has jumped from last place to first in its division from one year to the next. It was Chiefs in '03; the Falcons and Chargers in '04; the Bears and Buccaneers in '05; the Saints in '06; and the Buccaneers in '07.
    The team to watch in '08? The St. Louis Rams. I know, I know, we've all fallen for the Rams before. But this year, St. Louis is truly a legitimate darkhorse. Banged up by injuries all of last season, St. Louis should be healthy and much improved come the start of the 2008 campaign. Chris Long adds a demon on the end, and Marc Bulger, Orlando Pace, and Steven Jackson are all back on the offensive side of the ball. Seattle should be strong and Arizona is a wild card, but St. Louis could be the squad to watch in the NFC West.
    I'm buying that!!!!

Where are the slippers?

BEER is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Will the Rams be the "last to first" this year?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I'm buying that!!!!

Where are the slippers?
    I buy it every year...LOl.......But I know it this year. Go Rams.!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I love how they dont even mention the ********.

That's pretty funny. And weird how they wouldn't mention the only other team in the division.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    by Peter Schrager

Sounds good, KoaKoi. But are you, personally, confident that Bulger, Pace and Jackson will remain playably healthy for the whole season? If not, do you
    have any confidence in their back-ups being able to fill in effectively?
    And, granted, Chris Long hasn't had a chance to prove that he's a "demon" at the N.F.L. level yet but it's also very presumptuous to think that he will be.
    And, unless that article is condensed, he mentions three veteran offensive players and 1 defensive rookie. There's 11 players on both sides of the ball + special teams. We still have ?'s on both. And our special teams, especially on return coverage, has been scary bad.
    Look, i am hopeful that amazing things happen for us this year but what Schrager said here doesn't give me any warm and fuzzies.

RAM ON!

chipperjones Guest

We have the talent to win, that is for sure. Its a matter of being injury free, and gaining confidence. If we get on a roll we could be hard to stop.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Man Yoda i was so pumped up when i read this article, then you brought me back down to reality. What a buzz kill.

Mooselini Guest

I think that Seattle will be third this year. Arizona close behind us. We will be ontop of the NFC West this year. I know it. GO RAMS!

union jack rammer Guest

sounds good to me... but we do have one heck of a schedule this year...

rampower is offline Registered User

It is a very nasty schedule early on. We will have to hit the ground running if we want to be in contention.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

majorram is offline Registered User

I always think Any given sunday!! we can beat anybody, if you just have the luck and keep the injuries down anything is possible!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

rampower is offline Registered User

Thats the attitude!

We were pegged as a sleeper team last year until the slow start and all the injuries.

Any given sunday. Next years moto.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by union jack rammer View Post
    sounds good to me... but we do have one heck of a schedule this year...
    So does the rest of the NFC West - and theoretically, theirs should all be harder.

If we take care of our divisional foes, the rest should take care of itself.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It comes down to......

1. health - There is a correlation between healthy teams and winning teams. For example, here are Rams seasons since SB 34 ranked in order of rosters with at least 14 starts in each of the 22 starting positions; followed by the season record.

1. 1999 - 19 positions - 13-3 - SB Champ
    2. 2006 - 17 positions - 8-8
    3. 2001 - 16 positions - 14-2 - NFC Champ
    4. 2003 - 14 positions - 12-4 - Playoffs
    5. 2000 - 14 positions - 10-6 - Playoffs
    6. 2004 - 14 positions - 8-8 - Playoffs
    7. 2005 - 12 positions - 6-10
    8. 2002 - 11 positions - 7-9
    9. 2007 - 11 positions - 3-13

Healthy teams win games.

2. Consistency in the O-line. - Just as with #1, O-lines that keep their starters on the field tend to keep QBs and RBs on the field as well. Good things happen when your starting QB and RB begin and end each play on their feet.

3. D-line pressure - This is simply a numbers game. In run D, the line has to at least slow down the back. If the line can do that, the backers and safeties are more likely to make the stop in the box or near the line. If the back runs through a hole untouched, the chance of "less than 4" stop are slim to none. In the pass game, the secondary has the advantage for about 3 seconds. After that, the receivers are in their breaks and gain the advantage. With a D-line that can disrupt passing lanes and QB rhythms, the secondary maintain that advantage. As well, doing so with just a line instead of traditional blitzing, leaves one extra defender in coverage.

IF the Rams can do those 3 things.....we'll be watching January football.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast