throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Will Rams' next coach be on hand Sunday afternoon?

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/03/2005

In terms of career advancement, Sunday's Rams-Redskins game is fraught with meaning for Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

With all signs pointing to a new head coach for the Rams in 2006, Williams could be one of the leading candidates, particularly if team president John Shaw goes with a defensive-oriented coach, as suspected.

Washington coach Joe Gibbs gives Williams, 47, high marks.

"I think our defense has been what's led us that last two years," Gibbs told St. Louis reporters Wednesday on a conference call. "Certainly, he's done his job on defense. We've been short on offense, and that's my responsibility. So, I think Gregg has done his part. I think he's very well-organized. He's bright and does a good job of organizing things over there."

Williams is a native of Excelsior Springs, Mo., near Kansas City, who played quarterback at Northeast Missouri State (now Truman State). He was head coach of the Buffalo Bills from 2001-03, but lasted only three years, going 17-31. Gibbs thinks Williams deserves another chance as a head coach.

"I think it would be hard to find somebody that's more organized, and understands the NFL," Gibbs said. "I think he has a great way of getting the most out of players. He's very disciplined in what he does. So you have somebody who's a great candidate to be a head coach."

Martin recovers

Results from a baseline test taken Tuesday by quarterback Jamie Martin were not normal. That means he still has after-effects from a concussion suffered last week in Houston.

"The vision was fine really after (last) Sunday - maybe a little bit Monday," Martin said. "It was just the headaches."

By Friday, Martin said the headaches had pretty much subsided.

"I'm just going to have to talk to the doctors, and see at what point it's all right to get hit again," Martin said.

Will that be Sunday against Washington?

"Probably not," Martin said.

In just two series against the Texans, Martin absorbed four brutal hits, including one a safety blitz by Glenn Earl that resulted in a game-ending concussion and blurred vision.

Even on Friday, Martin said, "I feel like I played about five games."

Looker to the rescue?

Martin's condition could leave Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jeff Smoker as the only healthy quarterbacks for the Washington game. In which case, wide receiver Dane Looker will serve as the emergency third quarterback.

"I'm always ready," Looker said. "I'm like Jim Jensen of the Dolphins in the '80s. I can play every position. I can hold. I can punt. I can kick. Quarterback. Whatever."

Jim "Crash" Jensen played quarterback, wide receiver, running back, fullback, tight end, and was the holder and punt snapper over a 12-season career with Miami (1981-92).

Last week, by the way, Looker was the emergency nickel back for an injury-depleted Rams secondary.

"I'm emergency everything," Looker said.

Looker didn't play quarterback at Puyallup (Wash.) High, but had a pretty good signal caller ahead of him: Brock Huard was a Gatorade national player of the year at Puyallup, and went on to become a third-round draft pick by the Seattle Seahawks in 1999.

"So I had to play receiver, which was a good thing, I think," Looker said. "I've always liked to throw the ball a little bit. I have a pretty good feel for the (Rams) offense.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Will Rams' next coach be on hand Sunday afternoon?

Looker to the rescue?

Martin's condition could leave Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jeff Smoker as the only healthy quarterbacks for the Washington game. In which case, wide receiver Dane Looker will serve as the emergency third quarterback.

"I'm always ready," Looker said. "I'm like Jim Jensen of the Dolphins in the '80s. I can play every position. I can hold. I can punt. I can kick. Quarterback. Whatever."
    Dane Looker.
    I believe in Dane Looker and I like the confidence, but let's hope he does not end up playing quarterback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamJackson39 Guest

I do not want Greg Williams as a head coach. Jerry Gray is the best candidate for the job. He is a former Ram and he has a CB in Buffalo that would almost surely come to St.Louis if Gray was the head coach.

RamsFan16 Guest

Greg Williams D is better than Grays this year. You make the choice and you probrably just want him for that ONE CB. Its more than just ONE error on this D that makes it horrible.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I do not want Greg Williams as a head coach. Jerry Gray is the best candidate for the job. He is a former Ram and he has a CB in Buffalo that would almost surely come to St.Louis if Gray was the head coach.
    I've speculated that Clements may follow Gray should he leave, but it was just that - speculation.

Have you heard something else that actually supports it? If so, that'd be some great news.

But I'm sure Buffalo wants to get him under contract, so much so that they may franchise him rather than letting him hit the market. If that were to happen, then Clements would have no say in the matter, because the Rams wouldn't give up two first round picks for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Greg Williams D is better than Grays this year.
    True, but his stint as a head coach was less than impressive.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 Guest

Have you heard something else that actually supports it? If so, that'd be some great news.
    I've read a few things. One thing I remember was that Clements said that he loved playing for Gray and would love to play for him anywhere.