Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?

Yesterday at the dome many fans where tweeting the Rams where in the pistol.

@WoozyVirtuoso
    Rams using a bunch of Pistol formation plays. Very interesting.
    When I read this the first thing I thought was why? Then I thought why not!

Sure I don’t see Bradford and the Rams running the option from this formation, but I can see a few other things happening.

If you are not clear on what the pistol formation is here is a brief description.
    It is a hybrid of the traditional shotgun and single back offenses.[1] In the pistol offense, also commonly referred to as the "pistol formation", the quarterback lines up four yards behind the center, which is much closer than the seven-yard setback in a traditional shotgun formation. The running back then lines up three yards directly behind the quarterback, which is in contrast to the shotgun.
    I could see us using this wrinkle on occasion. Sure the RB won’t be lined up on either side of Bradford as to run the option BUT when lined up directly behind Bradford we can take advantage of what some of this formation has to offer.

Like running the ball from the shotgun, play action pass out of a shotgun.

Here are a few plays that we can run with Sam and our backs including TA lined up behind Sammy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?

It would certainly be a familiar formation for Austin if/when he's asked to work out of the backfield, since WVU ran a pistol offense under Dana Holgorsen.
    Rambos likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

It certainly adds to one more dimension to the Rams bag of tricks. I can see where the Rams can setup in a more conventional formation then shift at the last moment into the "pistol"--suppose you could call it the Derringer play-LOL! Still I would like the Rams to upgrade their play making with several styles of screen plays and throw "quirks" at opposing defenses like the pistol--the Rams have Cook on the field and he is tailor made for such plays

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

When I think of the pistol, I think of a QB with above average running ability executing it, so I'm really interested to see if showing these looks in practice actually amounts to anything.

Shotty is certainly channeling his inner mad scientist.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I like this - we know Bradford isn't the fastest QB in the league, but he doesn't exactly have lead feet either. Remember him chasing down that Seahawks CB after an INT his rookie year? He's got some legs.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I like this - we know Bradford isn't the fastest QB in the league, but he doesn't exactly have lead feet either. Remember him chasing down that Seahawks CB after an INT his rookie year? He's got some legs.
    It was a saints saftey... Roman harper I believe
    Last edited by Fastcat; -08-05-2013 at 08:18 AM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The pistol formation doesn't have anything to do with a QB running the ball.
    The pistol offense does and the Rams wont be operating the pistol offense.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

Unfort I am at work so I am unable to watch this video, but without sounding too idiotic.....what exactly is the pistol etc.? Like I have seen it before but I am still flaky on the formation/details? And if you have a problem with me asking questions to learn just a little more about this great team I will stomp a mud hole deep into your chest......And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold says so.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tavon Austin View Post
    Unfort I am at work so I am unable to watch this video, but without sounding too idiotic.....what exactly is the pistol etc.? Like I have seen it before but I am still flaky on the formation/details? And if you have a problem with me asking questions to learn just a little more about this great team I will stomp a mud hole deep into your chest......And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold says so.
    This is the most basic form of the pistol (a formation):

Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?-pistol_green.png (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

All it is-is a QB in a shotgun type formation with the RB right behind him (there may also be another RB/FB/TE to his side).

THE DREAM TEAM

Agrajag is offline Registered User

This is the formation I was envisioning when running the no huddle offense once they have Austin, Kendricks and Cook going as versatile threats.

Well thank you sir.....I thought I knew what it was and I was correct.....I love to run this in NCAA hahaha.......If you love to play Madden/NCAA football Give Me A Hell Yeah........And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.

Truck is offline Registered User

Could we have also just been lining up this way to help prepare the defense to face the pistol and not necessarily that we are going to be running plays out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    Could we have also just been lining up this way to help prepare the defense to face the pistol and not necessarily that we are going to be running plays out of it?
    No need to crush dreams Truck......Crush another one of Stone Cold's dreams and your going to get a stunner......and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I suppose, but how much practice would it really be chasing Rams quarter backs when you're simulating Kaepernick?

Again, the formation isn't really about the mobility of the quarterback. Think about it, the Steelers actually used the pistol formation when worthlesburger's foot was injured.

It's just a hybrid of the shotgun and single back offenses, so it's an attempt to maintain the threat of a rush ... just defenses know faster if it's a run or pass. But your pass can develop faster just like a shotgun when you have fast receivers running shorter routes which of course you can spread through progression.

In a way, I think it could suit Sam more, allowing him to get a read for the defense before and after the snap.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

That's actually a good observation, as both the whiners and Seahawks use the pistol. As far as the Rams using it as a different look/gimmick, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Argajag
    Again, the formation isn't really about the mobility of the quarterback. Think about it, the Steelers actually used the pistol formation when worthlesburger's foot was injured.
    It doesn't have to be about QB mobility, but having that extra threat makes it more effective, and more difficult to defend. Using the pistol to help injured QB's is indeed a recognized advantage, at least in theory.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -08-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast