Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Will the Rams using the Pistol in 2013?

The Pistol also has an added advantage for just plain old passing. The Quarterback is standing, like in the Gun, meaning that he can survey the field better than under center. Then, the ball is only traveling about half as far as in a normal Gun set, meaning that the QB has an extra split second to survey the field post-snap as well.

Add the fact that you can still get a fairly good run and burst from the running back(Problem with the Shotgun is the lack of forward momentum when getting the ball) and you get a balanced and more dangerous formation. I think that we'll see many more teams adopt a Pistol look to keep defenses off balance and honest.
    Agrajag likes this.

I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Schotty is feeling really creative, then I'd like to see the Rams use a version of this pistol package formation...

The close bunch of three receivers to one side can really draw quite a bit of the coverage and confuse defenses, freeing up other areas of the field. It's out of this specific formation that Tavon Austin did much of his damage as a runner against the Sooners this year. Having only five defenders in the box and quality blocking at the second level sure helps.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Add the fact that you can still get a fairly good run and burst from the running back(Problem with the Shotgun is the lack of forward momentum when getting the ball) and you get a balanced and more dangerous formation. I think that we'll see many more teams adopt a Pistol look to keep defenses off balance and honest.
    I agree and I think it's why the Rams are using the pistol. The RB can get the ball while moving and he can do so going either direction.

IMO, zero chance the first teamers on the Rams are learning and operating an offense so that the defense can practice defending it. That's what the scout team is about. Defending the read option is about gap integrity. DEs and DTs must avoid getting out of position and opening running lanes for the QB unless a blitzing LBer is filling that gap. This is one of the problems I had all those years with Leonard Little even though the read option wasn't a threat. He swung outside so far in an attempt to utilize his speed that it gave RBs a 3 yard wide hole to run through.

I like that three wide offense to get men out of the box. Not sure that with last years WRs that defenses wouldn't have kept that extra safety down in the box and just went man outside or shifted to zone.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -08-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12