evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Will Steve Fairchild and Joe Vitt run a more balanced show?

We all have no clue what to expect from Steve Fairchild. Mike Martz has previously given thought to turning over play-calling duties toward Fairchild. Now he'll get his chance to actually live up to his coaching title. Will he call for Steven Jackson to handle the rock early? Will he try to get the passing offense on track before Indy jumps out to a lead? Will he be able to see things Martz couldn't from up in the booth? Can he make quick adjustments on the fly and go for the jugular when it's right?

Joe Vitt will not have the burden of playcalling on his shoulders, like Martz had. He'll be able to manage the game and watch the clock. Hopefully he'll get on Marmie's case if they get into a hole.

Maybe, with this new combination of coaches, a more balanced game plan will emerge. We could surprise a few teams, if nothing else. Is this season lost without Martz, or do we still have hope?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Will Steve Fairchild and Joe Vitt run a more balanced show?

I haven't said anything this week about all that has happenned. Sunday I was too mad. Monday I was in shock. Tuesday I was reflecting on what the changes mean.
    Today, I woke up and thought about it all...and I can only think of one scenario.

Fairchild will now be calling plays that will be different than what Martz would have been doing. Not drastic changes, but still different. More conservative, but still edgy. More ground attack. Fewer 'trick plays'. More basic football.
    Marmie will end up showing his true colors. Martz won't be there to decide to change the defensive coverage, or to cover for Marmie. Either Marmie will look like a genius, or Vitt will see what is really going on and do what he sees as best for the team. If Marmie does good (which I doubt) then he will be a hero; If he screws up, I expect he will be gone soon.

No matter what, we will see a different bunch of Rams on the field come Monday. Will they live up to thier potential this week, and give the Dolts a game they will never forget, or will they be a team that has lost thier way?

I have a feeling that the Rams will show us they can play football....basic, smashmouth football, and win...or come dang close to it!

StRams is offline Registered User

I look at this as having a good side and a bad.

The good will be that the colts (much like us the opening game against the niners) will really not have much to go on as for game planning defensively against us, they really don't know for sure what to expect.

On the flip side, after all the shock went away, it really doesnt give the team much time to change things up, like someone else mentioned, maybe a more vanilla balanced version of what we already do. Vitt and fairchild wont have much time to put their stamp on the team.

We may not see a real big difference (if theres going to be one) until the next few games following Monday against the Colts.

Unfortunatly I see more downside to all of this. I see confusion and uncertainty.

I hope I'm wrong and the players will respond with a "We have to Unite" mentality.

I think this will at least show who has Heart, and who doesnt on this team.

Unfortuantly the one aspect of this team that will be least effected by what has happened is the Defense...and that may just seal our fate monday night. Actually out of the three phases of the game, the one most effected will be the only aspect that is actually playing halfway decent (halfway decent for us is better then most of the league), the Offense!

I can't see major changes in one week to fix what is happening there, if anything the uncertainty will make it worse.

I really hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by StRams; -10-12-2005 at 10:44 AM.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

One problem may be that, although they may play an inspired emotional game, there probably will be some confusion, and emotion may not be enough to beat the Colts. Which would not be good.

I think Fairchild knows all the plays and will somewhat try to mirror what Martz does, but will put his own flavor in there....no guarantee he is more conservative that Martz, probably similar since Martz has been grooming him. In fact, give Martz props for bringing him in, last year I think, because we would be screwed if he didn't have this guy in the booth being groomed for this.

I have a question. Can someone please tell me more about Joe Vitt. Where did he come from? What was his background? What has his role been as assistant head coach? I think I know who he is from seeing him on the sideline, but I'm not positive.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I have a feeling that the Rams will show us they can play football....basic, smashmouth football, and win...or come dang close to it!
    That's what I'm hoping. :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey