View Poll Results: Will Steven Jackson ever have better year end rushing or receiving stats then 2006?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 50.00%
  • No

7 50.00%
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Will Steven Jackson ever do better then 2006 in rushing or receiving?

Steven Jackson is now 27 years old and is starting his 7th season in the league. He looks like he might miss this next game and if so it will be the sixth time in seven seasons that he was unable to play in all 16 games. 2006 was the only season he was able to play in all 16 games and his per game and yearly stats were the best that year. He set rushing bests in avg yards per game 95.5, total TD's 13, and total rushing yards 1528. He also set receiving bests in yards per game 50.4, catches 90, total receiving TD's 3, and total receiving yards 806. He also had his longest run 59 yards and longest reception 64 yards. Jackson is the type of back that takes alot of direct or ackward hits IMO. He should be good for another 2-3 seasons but most RB's that approach the 30 plateau in age seem to fade quickly. I like Jackson and will try to enjoy the time he has left but injuries and age are concerning. We really need to get a back that could share some of the load and help keep Jackson in good shape. Possibly even go to a two back system with Jackson getting a 60/40 split.

One guy that does intrigue me and is available via trade is Marshawn Lynch he is only 24 and has good speed.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -10-01-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Will Steven Jackson ever do better then 2006 in rushing or receiving?

Barry Sanders got past the 2000 yd record when he was 29 years old, I can't see why it isn't impossible for Jackson to do so as well.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

The emergence of a true passing threat led by Sam the Ram will open up running lanes allowing S Jax to run wild, and eclipse his 2006 total.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I don't think he's going to get past that this year (although you never know), but I think that next year, once Bradford has established himself and the passing game improves, Jackson will be primed for a HUGE year.
    I just hope he can find a way to stay healthy... that seems to be his only flaw.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Man it seems like people just can't wait to get Jackson out the door. Maybe his best season was 2006 because that was the best all around team he was on. They finished 2nd in the division at 8-8 and were by far the best team he has been the starter with in his Rams career. Last year Jackson ran for over 1400 yds and had 51 catches on a horrendous team where everyone knew he was getting the ball. As far as him missing games Gholston tried ripping his leg off hardly your typical NFL injury where someone deliberately tries to play wishbone with your legs. The better the team the better Steven Jackson in my opinion. People just seem so eeger to get his replacement in here now like hes just gonna hit the wall before hes 30. Jackson is one of the top 5 backs in the NFL right now it's not time to shove him out the door. We will need a replacement for him eventually but i wouldnt worry about it this or next year.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Man it seems like people just can't wait to get Jackson out the door. Maybe his best season was 2006 because that was the best all around team he was on. They finished 2nd in the division at 8-8 and were by far the best team he has been the starter with in his Rams career. Last year Jackson ran for over 1400 yds and had 51 catches on a horrendous team where everyone knew he was getting the ball. As far as him missing games Gholston tried ripping his leg off hardly your typical NFL injury where someone deliberately tries to play wishbone with your legs. The better the team the better Steven Jackson in my opinion. People just seem so eeger to get his replacement in here now like hes just gonna hit the wall before hes 30. Jackson is one of the top 5 backs in the NFL right now it's not time to shove him out the door. We will need a replacement for him eventually but i wouldnt worry about it this or next year.
    I am not saying get Jackson out of here. I like Jackson but I think its long over due to get another running back that can share some of the load. I also think its unrealistic to think he is going to miss fewer games over the next 2-3 years. Jackson is in his 7th season and has only had one season he was able to play all the games. I think his running style is more prone to injury then say a Barry Sanders who started all 16 games in 6 of his last 7 years. You are right Gholston did try ripping his leg off but could part of that be that Jacksons running style left him vulnerable to getting in a postion for that to happen? Not to many people got a good hit on Barry Sanders because of his elusiveness but Jackson takes some fairly good hits IMO due to his running style.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Barry Sanders got past the 2000 yd record when he was 29 years old, I can't see why it isn't impossible for Jackson to do so as well.
    While it's not impossible I dont see it as likely IMO. Barry Sanders retired at 30 years old as well and Jackson will be 30 in 3 years. Barry was more of a scat back that did not take the direct hits that Jackson does. Barry started all 16 games in 6 of his last 7 years.

Marshall Faulk had 5 straight 1000+ rush seasons up to the age of 28. With the last three years being 5.3 yards per rush.

Faulk at 29: 953 yards 4.5 per rush
    Faulk at 30: 818 yards 3.9 per rush
    Faulk at 31: 774 yards 4.0 per rush
    Faulk at 32: 292 yards 4.5 per rush
    Faulk at 33: Retired

Priest Holmes most games played after age 30 in a season was 8.

Larry Johnson had two 1700+ yard seasons at 26 and 27 then his next highest after age 27 was 874 and he only started 7 games after the age of 28.

Shaun Alexander 5 straight seasons of over 1000 yards up to the age of 28.
    Shaun at 29: 896
    Shaun at 30: 716
    Shaun at 31: 24
    Shaun at 32: Retired
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -10-02-2010 at 12:53 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Truthfully, I dont think he will...which shatters my heart because I am his biggest fan and I wished he won a SB here and was a HOF HB.

I mean dont get me wrong, I'd love the guy to have a 2,000 yard season, but he gets injured much too often. I mean were 4 games into the season and hes already had 2 injuries... He takes too much of a pounding.

Trevor is offline Registered User

If he can stay healthy for 1 full season he can get 1600 rushing yards again.. He had 1400 and he didn't play like 3 games right?