Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Will Witherspoon ... Opinions? Side note on Chavous ...

Figured a discussion on Witherspoon might be fun. At the beginning of the season, I think everyone looked at Will as a good to very good linebacker who was playing out of position. I thought has was a very good one who would always be a very good one. However, as this season has progessed, I think Will has developed into an elite player in this league. He has matured, his leadership skills have improved, he has displayed a willingness to do everything asked of him, and I think he is extremely crucial to the development on this defense.

Look at his numbers:

82 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 5 Tackles for Loss, 6 passes defensed, 2 FF

Compare those numbers to any linebacker in the league and other than James Harrison, no one is having the OVERALL type of season that Will is. He has truly become a monster pass rusher, and with this hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 defense that we are beginning to show more and more of, I think he could end the season with some MONSTER numbers.

I think he has solidifed his position on this team as the MLB in the 4-3 base and as a monster pass rusher in the 3-4 sub-base ...

The side not on Chavous, I really don't think we can get rid of this guy. Yes, he is not as good a strong safety as he once was, and he is getting up there in years, but all indications seem to point to the fact that he is the glue of this defense. He may need his role reduced, but he can contribute to this team in so many ways. Same with Glover, who seems to be playing with renewed passion last couple of games. He nearly had 5 sacks against the Seahawks, although he did miss a few crucial ones by taking bad angles ....

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Will Witherspoon ... Opinions? Side note on Chavous ...

your right about Spoon,he is playing out of his mind right now,it will be a great injustice if he doesn't make the pro bowl,with Haslett's help he has become an elite linebacker and is the leader of our defense.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Spoon is having an amazing year. The play of the defensive tackles is having an awful lot to do with that. We are keeping the blockers off the spoon, allowing him to run wild and make the plays. Carriker and Ryan were great picks. You have to give linehan some credit for that if you are also going to blame him for byrd etc.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

At the beginning of the season, I think everyone looked at Will as a good to very good linebacker who was playing out of position.
    Yea, everyone except us! Turns out we DO know more about football than the average fan and/or journalist.

Sincerely,
    Jim Haslett & the Defensive Coaching Staff
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Yeah, he looks good roving around and reaking havok. I had hoped we pick up Adelius Thomas for such a role.

Picture if we had a "true" MLB that would allow us to let WW play outside and move him around as our X factor, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Yeah, he looks good roving around and reaking havok. I had hoped we pick up Adelius Thomas for such a role.

Picture if we had a "true" MLB that would allow us to let WW play outside and move him around as our X factor, that would be awesome.
    I don't know if you use him to his full advantage by moving him outside. Most thought he was better suited there, but with our beefier, more productive front four, and better strong side play from Chillar, you've truly seen with an athletic, speedy MLB can do in such a system, even if he is undersized ...

Will's best quality may very well be his coverage skills. He could probably hang with some WR's in this league ...

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Spoon is having an amazing year. The play of the defensive tackles is having an awful lot to do with that. We are keeping the blockers off the spoon, allowing him to run wild and make the plays. Carriker and Ryan were great picks. You have to give linehan some credit for that if you are also going to blame him for byrd etc.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, becareful giving out credit to Linehan, SLOP will be reading this thread at some point.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Tsk, tsk...

Yes, those were great picks.

SLOP does not demand perfection.

In fact, if SLOP were to rate Linehan solely on off-season performance, there probably would be no SLOP.

Gameday, on the other hand...

As for WW... if the Rams were winning, he'd be a shoe-in for the Pro Bowl.

Chavous? Not so much. Upgrade is needed there.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Chavous needs to stay around for the leadership and what he brings to the team in the lockerroom

however, id be surprised if we didnt bring a guy in to compete with chavous and potentially start ahead of him

moloch41 is offline Registered User

If I remember correctly, Chavous dropped two sure interceptions in the Seahawk loss. I think the guy has outlived his usefulness- but I guess that would depend on what his contract is paying him. If he's not going to hurt you in the salary cap, he might be worth keeping around, but if he's chewing up the cap, you have to cut him loose.

As for Witherspoon, I think he's the best linebacker we've had in a while. I still think he'd be better suited for the outside where he could use his speed more, but he certainly hasn't embarassed himself in the middle. My only concern with him was that he was small and with the play of our tackles (Kennedy and Company), he was going to wear down as the season progressed- which he did last season. But with Carriker, Ryan, and Glover playing better this year, he doesn't have to absorb all those hits and doesn't get swallowed up by a gang of blockers every play. He certainly is a pro-bowl caliber player, but the Rams D as a whole probably won't impress the voters, so he might get overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Chavous dropped two sure interceptions in the Seahawk loss. I think the guy has outlived his usefulness- but I guess that would depend on what his contract is paying him. If he's not going to hurt you in the salary cap, he might be worth keeping around, but if he's chewing up the cap, you have to cut him loose.

As for Witherspoon, I think he's the best linebacker we've had in a while. I still think he'd be better suited for the outside where he could use his speed more, but he certainly hasn't embarassed himself in the middle. My only concern with him was that he was small and with the play of our tackles (Kennedy and Company), he was going to wear down as the season progressed- which he did last season. But with Carriker, Ryan, and Glover playing better this year, he doesn't have to absorb all those hits and doesn't get swallowed up by a gang of blockers every play. He certainly is a pro-bowl caliber player, but the Rams D as a whole probably won't impress the voters, so he might get overlooked.
    Dropped interceptions are commonplace with all DB's. Every game you watch, you are sure to see at least one or two dropped. The two that Chavous could have had against Seattle were by no means easy catches. Witherspoon had the best shot at an INT that was dropped: had he picked off the pass in his hands, we save 7 points. But the fact that the DB/LB is there to break up the pass is what you really ask for. The interception is a bonus ...

That Ram's D is now ranked #14 in the NFL ...

I still remember Noah Herron ripping us last year. Sure don't miss those days ...

As for Chavous, could we upgrade the position? Yes. Should we let Chavous go? No way. He's an excellent leader ...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Chavous is getting up there and I do think if we could upgrade that position then that's one vet the Rams could afford to let go.

As for Spoon, I think he's playing his natural position....so to speak. He's not necessarily in the middle, Haslett is moving him around and allowing him to make plays.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I think the play this year of Witherspoon is phenomenal. He's been all over the place, breaing plays up in the backfield, getting tackles for loss, sacks, defending the pass (last game I think almost had 1 or 2 ints.) He's been great, no need to move him to different position. He's really playing great and has become an elite LB in my opinion. Which makes us 2 positions away from a good - great D. Pass Rushing DE and new SS. To Chavous, the last few games he has been playing good. But nothing spectacular. He's been making a few plays here and there but still has his scary number of missed tackles and coverage misfits.

I'd take Kenny Philips in R1 in the draft this year. SS from Miami.
    RamsFan16

Keenum is offline Registered User

Witherspoon is a stud. Period.

denverram is offline Registered User

I think Corey is to good in leadership to cut loose yet. Maybe find a young guy in the 2nd or 3rd round to platoon him.

Before we get to far off on the dropped int you need to remember why most of these guys play DB. They do not catch as well as WR.

I once heard a quote I think it may have been on this board that all a DB is is a WR who can't catch.

Denver
    Last edited by denverram; -11-30-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: missed idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast