r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Williams: No Excuses For 'Bonehead Move'

Williams: No exuses for 'bonehead move'

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, September 23, 2011

In his first comments since his dropped backwards pass resulted in a New York Giants touchdown, running back Cadillac Williams made no excuses.

"It was just a bonehead move by me, just knowing whenever it's a lateral like that, you've got to be aware and get on the ball," Williams said Thursday. "Just a bonehead move by me."

On third-and-8 from the New York 25, quarterback Sam Bradford attempted to throw a quick screen to Williams near the left sideline. But because of pressure from the edge by the Giants' defense, Bradford had to throw the pass backwards to reach Williams.

Williams dropped the pass, which was considered a fumble as soon as it hit the ground because it was thrown backwards. Giants linebacker Michael Boley scooped up the ball and raced 65 yards for a touchdown and a 14-6 New York lead four minutes into the second quarter.

Williams just stood there while all that was happening. Did Williams think it was an incomplete pass? Or was he upset for dropping it?

"It was a little bit of both," Williams said. "At first I kind of thought maybe it was an incomplete pass. And then upset."

The next thing he knew, Boley was racing toward the end zone.

"It just happened so quick," Williams said.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo grabbed Williams almost as soon as he reached the sideline. But it wasn't to scold him. "He just told me there's a lot of football left," Williams said. "You've got to have a short-term memory; forget about the play. Let's go out and win the game."

Williams finished out the game, with 13 carries for 36 yards and three catches for 4 yards, even though he suffered a hamstring injury in the early going.

"I actually did it in (the) first quarter, early in the game," Williams said. "Just kept playing; we kept it warm on the sideline, wrapped it up."

Williams hasn't practiced so far this week but will try to run today and is optimistic about playing Sunday against Baltimore. "I feel like I should be a 'go,' " Williams said.

Jackson tests thigh

For the first time since suffering a right quadriceps injury in the season opener against Philadelphia, Steven Jackson tested the leg during practice Thursday. But he remains questionable to doubtful for the Ravens game.

"I was able to get out there today, practice a little bit, get a few reps in," Jackson said. "I'm starting to familiarize myself with the game plan and knowing what Baltimore does so mentally, I'm right on key with the team. I just have to continue over the next few days to see how the quad reacts to me actually doing physical work that's football related."

As was the case Monday against the Giants, Jackson's status for Baltimore probably won't be decided until he tests the thigh a couple of hours before kickoff.

"It'd be a lot easier, not only for myself but for the whole team to know if I was playing before then," Jackson said. "But the way the quad is reacting right now it probably is going to be another game-time decision."

Heading to the stadium Monday night for the Giants game, Jackson said he felt optimistic about playing.

"It came down really close," Jackson said. "We got a pretty good workout in Monday night. I passed all my tests, except for the very last one was a 40-yard sprint. It wasn't for time or anything; it was just can I sustain a long run like when the injury occurred? And the muscle just wasn't ready."

Even though he may not play against Baltimore, Jackson said the quad is feeling better, and that right now he's ahead of schedule on a possible return. Apparently team medical officials thought he might be out several weeks with the injury.

"It's an injury that we thought was going to keep me out for a lot longer than what it's actually doing right now," he said. "So that's the positive out of the situation. ... But it's just frustrating that it's come down to this. But we're going to continue to stay positive and fight through it."

If neither Jackson nor Williams can go Sunday, the Rams will use some combination of Jerious Norwood and Quinn Porter.

no blackout

The Rams met the NFL's sellout requirements, and Sunday's game will be televised at 3 p.m. on KMOV (Ch. 4).

Injury update

Once again, WR Danny Amendola (elbow) did not practice, and he's probably another week or two away. C.J. Ah You, with his left hand wrapped like a club following wrist surgery, returned to practice on a limited basis. Also limited were LB Ben Leber (groin) and TE Michael Hoomanawanui (calf). WR Greg Salas (ribs) was upgraded to full participation after being limited Wednesday.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Williams: No Excuses For 'Bonehead Move'

Ive been giving Cadillac a real hard time all week for his performance and it turns out he was injured very early in the game.? It would be nice if he can play, but not if he is anywhere near the health he was in the Giants game. To me its looking more and more like it will be Norwood and Porter.?
    For this reason alone its going to be difficult to pull out a win. It looks like the Rams will have to go the aerial route again this week. Matt Hasselbeck had a good day against them last week, so their is plays to made for the Rams.?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Ive been giving Cadillac a real hard time all week for his performance and it turns out he was injured very early in the game.? It would be nice if he can play, but not if he is anywhere near the health he was in the Giants game. To me its looking more and more like it will be Norwood and Porter.?For this reason alone its going to be difficult to pull out a win. It looks like the Rams will have to go the aerial route again this week. Matt Hasselbeck had a good day against them last week, so their is plays to made for the Rams.?
    Not if the running game is unsuccessful

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"It was a little bit of both," Williams said. "At first I kind of thought maybe it was an incomplete pass. And then upset."
    That was a costly error in judgement, and basically inexcusable. I'll bet all of us watching were imediately yelling "lateral, lateral, get the ball!!" at the TV, I know I was.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    That was a costly error in judgement, and basically inexcusable. I'll bet all of us watching were imediately yelling "lateral, lateral, get the ball!!" at the TV, I know I was.
    Yes, I was certainly doing my part to help him understand that the throw from Bradford, from outset, was lateral. It was a bonehead, painful swing. The worst swing I have witnessed as Ram fan has got to be the Bobby Bryant FG block in NFC championship game. I believe we lost that game 10-7 or 14 -10 ?? but we would have basically iced it with the 3 points, rather turned into 7 for the Viqueens.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Yeah when he just stood there I was like, WHAT ARE YOU DOING GET THE BALL!