By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
10/08/2005

Tight end Roland Williams is scheduled to undergo surgery Monday in St. Louis following his season-ending knee injury Oct. 2.

"I tore the ACL, PCL, MCL - the big three," Williams said, referring to the anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate, and medial collateral ligaments. "So I have to let the swelling go down, and go get that surgery on Monday."

An injury of this sort normally sidelines a player for a full calendar year, but Williams - as usual - is oozing optimism.

"Some people say eight months, some people say 12 months," Williams said. "But I think consistent with everything else in my life, I'll beat the odds. So I'll be back as soon as possible."

The injury occurred with seven minutes remaining in the first quarter when Williams was hit low by Giants cornerback Curtis Deloatch after a two-yard reception.

"It wasn't illegal," Williams said. "It just wasn't one that was out for my best interests. I respect him. I don't have any hard feelings for him. ...That's a part of the game, and everything happens for a reason. We'll be fine. I'll see you next year."

Looker's back

A forgotten man in the Rams' offense because of to the emergence of Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald, wide receiver Dane Looker provided a reminder of what he can do with eight catches for 90 yards against the Giants. Both totals were NFL career highs for Looker, 29.

"I was going in and playing a little bit every game, but it seemed like it'd been a while since I'd really gone in there and contributed like I did last week," Looker said. "Of course, coming in a loss, it doesn't mean much. But it was nice to get out there and just kind of affirm you can play."

Looker was one of the Rams' surprise performers on their 2003 NFC West championship team, catching 47 passes for 495 yards and three touchdowns.

But with McDonald and Curtis moving up to the top backup spots, Looker had only 13 catches last season. He had only three catches this season before the Giants game.

With Isaac Bruce expected to miss his second straight game because of a turf toe injury, Looker could see plenty of action Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, his hometown team.

S. Jackson feels better

Running back Steven Jackson needed a shot of painkiller to help get him through the Giants game, but says his bruised sternum is doing better this week.

"My chest is coming along pretty well," Jackson said. "It held up pretty good last week, and it's just a thing that's going to take time to get better and better."

Jackson ran tentatively early in the Giants game and finished with only 17 yards on 10 carries. Jackson plans to wear a protective pad again Sunday.