Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Win Sunday, and the Rams are in the thick of the NFC West race

By: Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Despite the loss at New England, the Rams (2-5) will be just one game out of first place in the NFC West if they can knock off the division-leading Cardinals (4-3) at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday. A game behind at the halfway mark . . . you’d have taken that at the start of the season, right Jim Haslett?

After pausing, Haslett said: “I don’t know. I’d like to think we were in first place. I just like the opportunity. I’m glad we’re having the opportunity to play some of the teams in our division, and I think the next five or six weeks will tell us where we’re going to be.”

<><><>

With practices now open to the media, we were able to watch the Rams work on the onside kick play that worked to perfection opening the second half Sunday. If they ran it once last week, they ran it 20 times, trying to make sure that everyone had their assignments down.

Travis Minor grabbed Josh Brown’s kick, giving the Rams possession at their 41-yard line. But they didn’t capitalize, going three-and-out.

“We thought we might have an opportunity to get it . . . we were just trying to get a possession from that team,” Haslett explained. “I didn’t think it’d work that easy. The guys did a good job blocking, ‘Q’ (Quinton Culberson) and Corey Chavous, and Travis had the most difficult part, getting the ball. They executed it very well.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*S Oshiomogho Atogwe has three interceptions in the last two games, and 11 in his last 15. But he won’t talk about it — not to reporters, anyway. Atogwe is taking what he calls a “hiatus from the media.” Why? “It’s messing up my head,” he said. But Atogwe assured that he’d let us know when the hiatus has ended. “I’ll send out a memo or something,” he quipped.

*RB Antonio Pittman produced 105 total yards — 83 rushing, 22 receiving — as Steven Jackson’s stand-in. Jackson is averaging 127.8 yards per game.

*Special-teams penalties did significant field-position damage to the Rams.

*DE Eric Moore saw his most extensive action of the season, and had a nice outing. He picked up a sack among his three tackles, and had two quarterback hits.

*DE Leonard Little believes that the twinge he felt in his right hamstring, which sent him to the sideline in the early going, might’ve been just some scar tissue tearing. Little missed two games with a pull in the same muscle earlier this season.

*CB Tye Hill, who has missed three games after having knee surgery, will be back at practice this week and could suit up Sunday vs. the Cards.

All for now . . .

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Win Sunday, and the Rams are in the thick of the NFC West race

The Arizona Cardinals will be no push over for the Hosts, Saint Louis Rams. Kurt Warner will definitely put up the numbers and would love nothing else but to put on a clinic and give reminders to his former backup on how to put on a 'Great Show on Turf' in the Dome. If the Rams have Jackson, maybe we have a chance. Without him, I doubt we can rely on Marc Bulger to out duel a TWO-TIME MVP. Sunday, Please take notes,Bulger!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Let's do it! As Dgr828 said, we have a chance alright.

Coaches Haslett, Saunders, Jax, our entire D have to take charge. Wow, a tall order but this game is B I G.

blood85 is offline Registered User

No doubt we have a chance, the key is getting to Warner, and disrupting the timing on the passing routes...

blood85 is offline Registered User

Let's Go Rams, bring the Heat!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

One game out? Sounds good to me!

We just need to beat this air hungry Cards team. Warner is putting good yards against team. We have a pretty good secondary. Lets hope we come out with a win!

faulk2jackson Guest

Well on the bright side the Cards did lose last Sunday after having the lead for most of the game. If we would have beat the Pats and the cards would have won, we would still be in the same position. I KNOW we are gonna beat the Cards at home.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree completely with Blood. The key to the game is pressure on warner. If we dont get any, its going to be a very long day. No way are we going to cover fitz, boldin and breaston for 8 seconds down the field.

This is not a duel between warner and bulger. Its the Rams vs. The Cards. If you put warner behind the rams offensive line and bulger behind the cards offensive line with the cards receivers (which are the best in the nfl with boldin playing) than i think bulgers stats would look a lot like warners and vice versa. Warner has no more mobility than bulger (even less) and has been criticized for years for holding the ball too long.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

yeah kurt will put up numbers, hopefully in the int column as usual too.
    i have o.j picking 2 off.
    i worry about boldin & fitz, especially if hill is back this week.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I really do NOT want to see Tye Hill matched up against Fitz even once in this game. Get Bartell to cover Fitz. In fact I wouldn't shed a tear if Hill takes another week on the bench. You know just to make sure he's really healed

If Little plays it would be huge, with Chris Long in there too Warner will see a lot of pressure and with that ballhawk OJ roaming the secondary pressure on Warner will turn very dangerous very fast.

This game is almost the season on the line - we win we're one game behind, lose and we're 3 behind. We're not going to the playoffs on a wildcard, we need the 1st place in the division and we NEED this win.

eldfan is offline Registered User

We can not get into a shooting match with them. We need to run the ball control the clock take our shots down the field and be physical with them.
    :ramlogo:

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    We can not get into a shooting match with them. We need to run the ball control the clock take our shots down the field and be physical with them.
    Exactly! I think controlling TOP is far more critical than getting to Warner. Warner can beat the blitz, he can handle the pressure. Giving the Cards a steady dose of SJ and keeping the ball in our hands is crucial to keep Warner out of a rhythm ...

locazn is offline Registered User

We cannot beat the cardinals with field goals... they are too explosive on offence..We have to contol the clock with our running game and Pound it in for TDs..(Steven Jackson) Hopefully OJ can snatch a few more balls for us. And Chris Long forces warner to fumble! I Believe!!!!!!!!!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

No matter how you slice it Warner is going to see and feel pressure in this game. (Warner is one of my all time favorites but not this week) Turnovers will be the key to this game and Warner will help us in that category.

Fumblitis.....??

We spanked the Cowboys at our last home game....remember?

RAMS will win and win BIG!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Locazn View Post
    We cannot beat the cardinals with field goals...
    E X A C T L Y. Must convert more of those red zones into TD rather than 3 pointers! Let Brown get his one or two kicks but we need ...
    MORE 7s!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast