general counsel is offline Registered User

On the winning td in sb 34....

Did rev ike push off on the winning td in sb 34 or just make a terrific adjustment on an underthrown ball and then make a great move past one guy and then outrun the rest of the defense. Maybe it was a bit of both?

your views please.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Re: On the winning td in sb 34....

I think it was a little bit of both. Without Bruce's adjustment, the Rams don't win the SB..

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

I rewatched "The Catch" and their was no indication, as far as I could tell, of Bruce literally 'pushing off'. It looked as though Bruce used his arms to position himself away from the defender, not illegally, however, to make a tremndous adjustment on the ball. If their was any potential penalty to be called on that play, it could be argued that Hakim should have been flagged for clipping after Bruce makes the catch. You're right GS99, without that adjustment, the Rams may not have won that game... BTW, awesome display pic, I could watch that for hours!!!
    As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

PHAT-MONEY Guest

The Ball was Under thrown a tad, because if you remember, as kurt went to throw fred miller got thrown back into kurt by jevon kearse who hit kurt right as he released the ball, but I think that if he would have gotten all of it, it may have been intercepted. I am not going to complain, because Ike Made A great Move to get open, then he just out ran everybody.

"And They Wont Catch him Today,Touchdown Rams!!)

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont think Ike pushed at all but he did let the defenders momentum carry him right past Ike and Bruce made a great catch. I also agree that without Kearse hitting Warner that throw may have been picked off. Great memories, something to smile about after such a dreadful year.
    Just Fix It

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

it was just a great play by Bruce(maybe a slight pushoff if any) and yes I also believe Az got away with one there on his block,it was kind of like the big play in this past SB,Manning threw that ball up for grabs and they came down with it,but that play also could have went many different ways just as the Bruce catch could have.

It kind of does look like he pushes off

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The rule has always been applied to allow a bit more contact (by either the WR or DB) if the player is looking back at the ball and trying to get position to make a play.

Compare that to the play in the Seahawks/Steelers Super Bowl in which Darryl Jackson and the DB have equal position and Jackson simply shoves the DB aside.

As for Bruce's play... that's a good non-call in my book.

I agree completely that it was a good non call either way, thats why i didnt ask in the thread if it was a penalty (which is also a fair discussion point of course). I was asking more from a pure football sense.

In my view, thats the kind of contact that rarely gets called on the offense, but all too frequently gets called on the defense. In the fourth quarter of a super bowl, i am very much of the view that to call a penalty, it has to be very flagrant.

Either way, it was truly a season altering play. The ball was badly underthrown, and the in air adjustment by ike, along with the run after the catch, will ultimately not just be the winner for the rams in sb 34, but will be the nudge ike needs to get into the HOF.

That being said, no one should refer to it as The Catch. The Catch was made by mr proehl vs tampa to get us to the dance, truly one of the greatest catches EVER made by a ram anywhere.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I agree completely that it was a good non call either way, thats why i didnt ask in the thread if it was a penalty (which is also a fair discussion point of course). I was asking more from a pure football sense.

In my view, thats the kind of contact that rarely gets called on the offense, but all too frequently gets called on the defense. In the fourth quarter of a super bowl, i am very much of the view that to call a penalty, it has to be very flagrant.

Either way, it was truly a season altering play. The ball was badly underthrown, and the in air adjustment by ike, along with the run after the catch, will ultimately not just be the winner for the rams in sb 34, but will be the nudge ike needs to get into the HOF.

That being said, no one should refer to it as The Catch. The Catch was made by mr proehl vs tampa to get us to the dance, truly one of the greatest catches EVER made by a ram anywhere.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, you are 100% right on that without the Proehl catch there is no SB or Bruce catch,but in the spirit of this post do you think that Proehl had complete control of the ball,it's worth a second look,I say yes but not by very much at all.

should be a separate post, i will do it late tonight or tomorrow. It absolutely postively was a catch by proehl. Thats as good coverage as humanly possible, a perfect throw (kurts only really good throw of the entire game) and the ultimate catch. The ball is hanging by the point and he manages to hang on with the season on the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: On the winning TD in SB 34....

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    The Ball was under thrown a tad, because if you remember, as Kurt went to throw Fred Miller got thrown back into Kurt by Jevon Kearse who hit Kurt right as he released the ball, but I think that if he would have gotten all of it, it may have been intercepted. I am not going to complain, because Ike made a great move to get open, then he just out ran everybody.

"And They Won't Catch Him Today. Touchdown Rams!!")

That is a 100% accurate description of how it really happened, IMO. :l

Qa) Did Rev Ike push off on the winning TD in SB 34? A: No.

Qb) Or just make a terrific adjustment on an underthrown ball? A: Yes.

Qc) And then make a great move past one guy and then outrun the rest of the defense? A: Yes

Qd) Maybe it was a bit of both? A. No. I don't believe so. I'll stick to b + c = GP, great poise/play.

GC, you have the keen eyes of a good NFL official. Up to now I honestly had never considered these possibilities but "after further review", I just don't think that -- bias and all-- that epic catch by IB would have or, could have, been an infraction.

Unless of course, you ask the Titans fans. ...Seriously though, no, I don't think that even the Titans fans, the true ones, would question Isaac's moves during the entire play.

Thanks, glad we could revisit this winning TD. What a play! :r
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-10-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Tyop :-)

Re: On the winning TD in SB 34....

1 min. version of the final SB highlights (at bottom of page), including the gutsy TD.

The official site of the St. Louis Rams - 10 Great Moments Videos

It seems to me that Titans CB Denard Walker "felt" Isaac slow down as the ball was coming in and, in slowing down himself, trips over his own feet, falls flat on his face; IB correctly reacts to the trajectory, catches the bomb and leaves the other DBs -- Samari Rolle and Anthony Dorsett -- hopelessly behind.

:l SB XXXIV: Ramtastic reminiscing!

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Absolute apologies for calling the game winning TD grab by Bruce “The Catch.” I had simply mistaken those two plays for a moment when replying to your post, GC. :\ :\ :\

Real Ram, you make a good point when stating that through an unbiased perspective, Bruce’s catch was nothing but a clean play for the ball.
    As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

Nothing but a 'c l e a n play for the ball' says it all. Nice, .ramfan. :r

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-09-2008, 03:35 AM
  2. -02-09-2008, 03:35 AM