Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ScottD413 Guest

Re: Worst officiating Ive Ever SEEN!

I'm glad that some of you are ripping me a new one for my opinion on the kicked ball call. If you play undisciplined football and commit stupid penalties, that is ABSOLUTELY the coaches fault! If somebody commited a penalty like that on a Cowher or Parcells coached team you can bet there would be some sort of punishment.

woody4cards Guest

oh scott you have done it now!!! upset the wizards .....on the right side of your posting underneath the "support bulger" is a red circle..... you have been labeled a whinnee... obviously for not following the party line!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Not that anybody asked for it, but here comes my pair-'o-pennies....

On all the smack from the desert --- true, it's sad to see so much smack after the point when most were not willing to show up before the point (a fact stretching back several years). However, I can make room for that when considering that particular franchise has had so little to celebrate. So ultimately, it's bad form, but hey....let'em have a little fun for once.

On the officiating --- It was horrible. There's no debate there. Edge was down, and Al Johnson lost the ball before any Rams foot ever touched it. Just the fact that we're discussing it means it was horrible. If the officiating becomes a factor, they have failed on certain levels. However, it was not the officials that allowed the cards to march down the field that put them in that goalline position to start with.

As Pang, BRM, and others have said, better play overcomes even the worst of officiating.
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-10-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

As Pang, BRM, and others have said, better play overcomes even the worst of officiating.
    Sorry, I'm not buying it in this situation or for this game. We played well enough to win, period.

The last play of the 1st half was a killer. The Tards center muffed the ball, yet we are penalized for kicking it. If the refs got it right the half would have ended. Instead the Tards are given 1 free play and score a TD. Take that TD away and we win.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not buying it in this situation or for this game. We played well enough to win, period.

The last play of the 1st half was a killer. The Tards center muffed the ball, yet we are penalized for kicking it. If the refs got it right the half would have ended. Instead the Tards are given 1 free play and score a TD. Take that TD away and we win.
    laram, mi amigo, I'm not disagreeing with your stance. However, if the D had not allowed Warner and Co. to march 77 yards in the final 1:17, this wouldn't be an issue. They had 10 plays to either get the ball back or stop the Cards.......and they didn't get it done.

I'm not siding with the refs, I think the call itself was terrible. However, if the D had done what they get paid to do, the situation would never have arisen.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

laram, mi amigo, I'm not disagreeing with your stance. However, if the D had not allowed Warner and Co. to march 77 yards in the final 1:17, this wouldn't be an issue. They had 10 plays to either get the ball back or stop the Cards.......and they didn't get it done.
    I think this is open to debate Hub. There was another critical play that was very questionable during that drive and may have been more damaging than what happened on the 1. rammiser noted it in his original post and it was something that bothered me during the game.

With 36 seconds remaining on a 4th and 6, Warner hit Fitzgerald, who was tackled by Brown. After Fitzgerald was down, he rolled over and moved the ball forward. Without hesitation or even the thought of a measurement (despite the fact that it was extremely close to the yard marker), an official quickly spotted the ball (incorrectly IMO), the Cardinals ran to the line and Warner spiked it, stopping the clock and making it impossible for any type of revue. Since it happened inside of two minutes, the decision to call for a revue had to made by the replay officials and Linehan was helpless to do anything.

If the officials do the right thing and bring the chains out as well as revue the play, the spot can be looked at with a good chance of a reversal and the Cardinals don't score. On top of that, we would have gotten the ball back at the 41 with enough time to possibly set up a FG try. That IMO, was a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    That IMO, was a killer.
    But, mike, who bears more blame......the officials for not making that call, or the Rams for not breaking up the pass, which Brown had done on the previous down? Or jumping the route. Or the line for not closing the hole on Arrington 4-yard run on 2nd and 10. Or limiting Arrington's 32 yard catch-and-run on the previous 2nd and 10.

My point being, the Rams have to step up their play so the officiating (no matter how poor) is not a factor.

My point being, the Rams have to step up their play so the officiating (no matter how poor) is not a factor.
    But on the play I described HUb they did stop Fitzgerald short of the first, which should have ended the drive right then and there. It was a good play by Brown. Asking the defense to absorb multiple bad calls on a single drive is asking too much IMO.

I'm not sure if that's realistic for any NFL team?

(no matter how poor) Falls under infinite.

:r

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    But on the play I described HUb they did stop Fitzgerald short of the first, which should have ended the drive right then and there. It was a good play by Brown. Asking the defense to absorb multiple bad calls on a single drive is asking too much IMO.
    Mike, I understand what you and laram are both saying. I agree the officiating (I must admit I don't recall this particular play) was poor, and stood out (which is never a good thing) on several instances Sunday.

And if there was a concerted effort against the Rams (which none of us believe), then all the herculean efforts would not be enough to secure a Rams win. However, short of that, the Rams had every opportunity to win the game. We concentrate on a handful (3 or 4) of poor calls, but what about the 80 or 90 snaps the Rams could have made a play? Some they took advantage of (Bennett TD, Spoon sack, Brown picks, etc.), but many others they didn't.

What I'm saying is, by blaming the refs for their contribution to the game, we're sending our cockroach soup back to the kitchen because there's a couple of flies in it. Yes, the flies were disgusting, but even without them.......it's still cockroach soup.

Feel free to use that analogy........but you must name your firstborn after me.

It sucks being a team forced to play on razor thin margins.:x

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It sucks being a team forced to play on razor thin margins.:x
    Makes me long for the days when we'd give up 34 and still win by a pair of touchdowns.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Why didn't that freaking moron who recovered the ball just slide out of the endzone with it?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Why didn't that freaking moron who recovered the ball just slide out of the endzone with it?
    Or bat it, slap it, push it, whatever, get it out of bounds!!!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Hub, I understand what your saying but you can look at it both ways. We did stop James and force a fumble even though I thought he was down they call it a fumble and Wade recovered it. Wade gets drilled while still laying on the turf with the ball and the ball squirts out. They give the Cards a td, thats two plays the d made that were taken away. We did stop Fitz short of the first on 4th and 6 but the ref just runs in and gives him an extra yard and the first down. Thats another play the defense made that was taken away. Defenses can only make so many plays. Yeah we gave up some runs and some passes but doesnt every defense in the league. Then the kicked ball, who did they call it on? If they called it on Bartell who was the only one that kicked it deliberately the half was already over. We arent good enough to make everyplay and overcome that many horrible game changing calls in one game. I usually never blame the refs, they make mistakes. But with instant replay to still job us like we were jobbed is inexcuseable. I cant wait to hear the head of officiating tonight on NFL network. They are going to look at the James fumble.
    Just Fix It

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast