Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Worst receiving core in the NFL?

IMO it's a close race between the Rams, Bucs, Bears and Seahawks. What team do you guys think has the worst receiving core in the NFL? Listed the Depth charts for those 4 teams below.

Rams
    Wide Receiver 1
    Brandon Gibson
    Laurent Robinson

Wide Receiver 2
    Danny Amendola
    Mardy Gilyard

Buccaneers
    Wide Receiver 1
    Mike Williams
    Micheal Spurlock

Wide Receiver 2
    Arrelious Benn
    Sammie Stroughter

Bears
    Wide Receiver 1
    Johnny Knox
    Earl Bennett

Wide Receiver 2
    Devin Hester
    Devin Aromashodu

Seahawks
    Wide Receiver 1
    Ben Obomanu
    Brandon Stokley

Wide Receiver 2
    Mike Williams
    Golden Tate
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -12-20-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: posted too soon

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Worst receiving core in the NFL?

RAMS have the worst but if Avery and Clayton were healthy we wouldn't be on the list.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The others aren't all that much better, but I think the Rams take the cake in the "lack of talent" department at WR.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Not only the WR'S, but the TE's are below average. Jackson isnt bad for his size, but rarely makes players miss. This is the main reason Sam is having it so difficult, it must be a nightmare for him out there.
    Thier is not one player who can make people miss after the catch. We also need a shifty back for the passing game next draft.
    The truly talented teams are licking there chops when playing the Rams. Easy pickings.
    San Francisco this week doesnt have the best secondary, so there should be no excuse if we lose. Big week for Bradford.
    I expect Sam to play well this week, if he does not, Ill be worried for the future. No more regressing Sam, please dont let us down.
    GO RAMS.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The emergence of Mike Williams for Tampa means you can probably take them off the list. I'd replace them with Cleveland. For as bad as the Rams' receiving groups is, I think the Cleveland Browns are probably worse. Their top receiver is Mohamed Massaquoi, who has 31 receptions for 418 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The emergence of Mike Williams for Tampa means you can probably take them off the list. I'd replace them with Cleveland. For as bad as the Rams' receiving groups is, I think the Cleveland Browns are probably worse. Their top receiver is Mohamed Massaquoi, who has 31 receptions for 418 yards and 2 touchdowns.
    Good call. Browns are probably the worst. Then Rams. Then Seahawks. Dishonorable mention to the Panthers for a declining Steve Smith and a whole bunch of nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh yeah, how could I leave off the Browns...they are worse than us. I'm trying to think, did they have someone good that got injured or have they been this bad all year?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Oh yeah, how could I leave off the Browns...they are worse than us. I'm trying to think, did they have someone good that got injured or have they been this bad all year?
    Ummmmm, Colt McCoy has been quite consistent with his talent at WR. We have the worst WR-corps, until Avery and Clayton can stay healthy in the long run, we have the worst one in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    They traded Braylon Edwards away in October of 2009, since then it's been pretty bad for them in terms of receiver help.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Ummmmm, Colt McCoy has been quite consistent with his talent at WR. We have the worst WR-corps, until Avery and Clayton can stay healthy in the long run, we have the worst one in the league.
    Bradford's beenfairly consistant with the guys we have too, but that doesn't make them good. Look at these guys and tell me they're better than what we have:

Wide Receiver 1
    Mohamed Massaquoi
    Chansi Stuckey

Wide Receiver 2
    Brian Robiskie
    Joshua Cribbs

Although they do have Ben Watson at TE who has been playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    That's probably more of a credit to McCoy than it is the group of wide receivers.

Consider that over the course of the season, Cleveland quarterbacks have targeted five different wide receivers a combined 188 times. That's only 46% of the total passes thrown this season. Meanwhile, tight end Ben Watson and running back Peyton Hillis have 160 combined targets between just the two of them - nearly 40% of all throws go to those two non-WRs.

To compare that to the Rams, Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson have a combined 186 targets, nearly as many as EVERY Browns WR has had this year combined. Amendola and Gibson have caught five touchdown receptions between them on the year. That's more than the number of touchdown receptions made by EVERY Cleveland receiver combined (4). St. Louis WRs have been targeted on 64% of all passes thrown this season, nearly 20% more than the Cleveland group.

Simply out, there's not much question in my mind that Cleveland is fielding a worse unit.

stl7 is offline Registered User

I dont think the Bears or Bucs should be on that list. They could be better but theyre not close to us. Tate and Gilyard have had about the same impact, none. I dont know why robinson has looked so much worse than he did when he came here last year. Gibson and Amendola should be the only guys brought back next year and only for the 3/4 positions

rayzorram is offline Registered User

Come on guys. Yes I too would have liked to have seen what would have been had Avery and Clayton not gotten hurt but lets give these guys some credit for helping Sam Bradford to be rated no. 13 in the whole league with over 3000 yds. receiving. I believe that he is rated over Vick , Sanchez, Kitna,
    Cassell and even Favre.
    Last edited by rayzorram; -12-21-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: NO LINKS

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

That's a really amazing for a rookie QB to achieve, especially with how thin our WR-corps is. Though I'm really concerned with the poor play over the last 3 games (ARZ, NO, KC) that might be a sign of regression... Hope he rebounds against the Whiners.

It's a notable accomplishment because he's a rookie, but realistically, it's not really that hard to get to 3,000+ yards when you throw the ball as much as Bradford has (517 attempts, fifth most in the league).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast