Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: The worst thing isn't that we suck, it's how we suck

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The worst thing isn't that we suck, it's how we suck

I could understand if the team was simply being beaten by better teams with far better talent than us. If the talent level on this team was so poor that we deserved to constantly lose, then so be it. In that situation, as a fan, you can't do more than hope that the team can pull something out of nowhere and win.

But the talent level on this team isn't that bad. We have some quality players like Steven Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Sam Bradford. We don't suck because we have bad players. We were 7-9 last year and the talent level on the team was lower then than it is now.

We suck because we are too afraid to try to win. When the game is on the line we would often rather play it safe then be bold.
    Don't run on all three downs when in FG range and settle for three. Go for it on fourth down. Take shots. Use some trickery. Whats the worse that happens? We lose? We lose anyway!

We suck because we always find a way to beat ourselves, such as playing with bad fundamentals. Missing tackles, dropping passes, missing blocks, you name it.

We suck because we just don't play smart football. For example, you don't keep Justin King covering Torrey Smith when Smith has already beaten King badly for two TDs. You don't keep punting to Patrick Peterson when Peterson beat you with a punt return in overtime just three weeks back. It's like the team just doesn't learn from anything that has happened before.

Yes we have some problems with some of the talent on this team. It's not like we are playing with all-pros all over the field. But no team has all-pros in every position.

I could handle being beaten by better teams, but to me it just seems like we find ways to lose.
    RamDez, PARamfan and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: The worst thing isn't that we suck, it's how we suck

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I could understand if the team was simply being beaten by better teams with far better talent than us. If the talent level on this team was so poor that we deserved to constantly lose, then so be it. In that situation, as a fan, you can't do more than hope that the team can pull something out of nowhere and win.

But the talent level on this team isn't that bad. We have some quality players like Steven Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Sam Bradford. We don't suck because we have bad players. We were 7-9 last year and the talent level on the team was lower then than it is now.

We suck because we are too afraid to try to win. When the game is on the line we would often rather play it safe then be bold.
    Don't run on all three downs when in FG range and settle for three. Go for it on fourth down. Take shots. Use some trickery. Whats the worse that happens? We lose? We lose anyway!

We suck because we always find a way to beat ourselves, such as playing with bad fundamentals. Missing tackles, dropping passes, missing blocks, you name it.

We suck because we just don't play smart football. For example, you don't keep Justin King covering Torrey Smith when Smith has already beaten King badly for two TDs. You don't keep punting to Patrick Peterson when Peterson beat you with a punt return in overtime just three weeks back. It's like the team just doesn't learn from anything that has happened before.

Yes we have some problems with some of the talent on this team. It's not like we are playing with all-pros all over the field. But no team has all-pros in every position.

I could handle being beaten by better teams, but to me it just seems like we find ways to lose.
    At least we'll have a different coach for next season.? Another year of Spagsball, and I'd be looking for the razor blades.?

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I agree with this. We are not ultra talented, but we are not DEVIOD of talent. There are pieces here. And when you have a shortage of game breakers and injury issues, you must compensate by playing smart, tough, fundamentally sound football. We've played hard, but what's it gotten us? The run defense broke down in a big way yesterday. Poor coaching decisions. Eight more penalties. Failure to execute a directional punt and allowing a guy to beat us. Keeping a back-up QB like John Skelton in the ball game.

We should be better. And because we're not, fans are ticked. It also exposes the foolishness of all those who thought we'd survive a tough opening schedule and then automatically dance through the 2nd half of the season, beating up on "weaker" divisional foes. It doesn't work that way, and the 2011 season has driven that point home.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I agree with this. We are not ultra talented, but we are not DEVIOD of talent. There are pieces here. And when you have a shortage of game breakers and injury issues, you must compensate by playing smart, tough, fundamentally sound football. We've played hard, but what's it gotten us? The run defense broke down in a big way yesterday. Poor coaching decisions. Eight more penalties. Failure to execute a directional punt and allowing a guy to beat us. Keeping a back-up QB like John Skelton in the ball game.

We should be better. And because we're not, fans are ticked. It also exposes the foolishness of all those who thought we'd survive a tough opening schedule and then automatically dance through the 2nd half of the season, beating up on "weaker" divisional foes. It doesn't work that way, and the 2011 season has driven that point home.
    Ahh yes, Penalties. I forgot to mention them in my post because I'm so used to seeing these now! But again, this falls under the lack of fundamentals bracket.

We had an instance yesterday where a nice Chris Long sack was wiped out because Rod Hood held his man. We get into positions to score and end up taking false starts. Last week Stephen Spach caught a one yard pass, got hit, and then retaliates against the Seahawks defender, costing us 15 yards for no reason. When Justin King isnt getting burnt, he is holding, grabbing and tugging all over the guy he is covering. It's just poor football.

And what is even more annoying about how we have played for the majority of this season is that we HAVE seen how well this team can play. The game against the Saints was probably the best game the Rams have played fundamentally all season, and it lead to a big upset win. How we can play like that against the Saints and then play like we have against the Seahawks and Cards is just shocking.