Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Worthy reasons to keep linehan

I can think of none.

Maybe some of the other members of this site can give me one or more worthy reasons to keep linehan at this point?

I read a couple of reasons, from Nick, in another thread. On the surface those reasons might seem reasonable, however, after a little bit of thought they are not worthwhile in my opinion.

One of those reasons was that firing linehan and replacing him with an interim is basically giving up on the season because the interim could not make anything happen.

Well, this can easily be argued that it is not giving up on the season, rather, it is giving up on a coach that has produced a 17-32 record with zero wins against a team with a winning record. Firing linehan is giving up on ineptitude. Replacing him with an interim is the beginning of the healing process for the players who have quite likely lost all respect and desire.

Another reason was the risk of damaging credibility with future qualified head coaching candidates. This reason once again sounds good on the surface, however, in my opinion it is poppycock.

There are plenty of qualified candidates who would jump at the opportunity to be a head coach in this league. It is common occurance in the NFL. These coaches compete against each other on the sidelines, week after week, just as the players do on the field. They have big strong egos and all are aggresive in nature. Always thinking they are better and smarter than the next coach. You honestly believe that a candidate is going to balk at the job because he thinks the Rams were meanies to poor little scotty after all scotty has done? Give me a flippin break.

Please, anyone and everyone, feel free to post your worthy reasons for keeping scott linehan as head coach of the St. Louis Rams. I honestly can't wait to read them all.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Worthy reasons to keep linehan

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I can think of none.

Maybe some of the other members of this site can give me one or more worthy reasons to keep linehan at this point?

I read a couple of reasons, from Nick, in another thread. On the surface those reasons might seem reasonable, however, after a little bit of thought they are not worthwhile in my opinion.

One of those reasons was that firing linehan and replacing him with an interim is basically giving up on the season because the interim could not make anything happen.

Well, this can easily be argued that it is not giving up on the season, rather, it is giving up on a coach that has produced a 17-32 record with zero wins against a team with a winning record. Firing linehan is giving up on ineptitude. Replacing him with an interim is the beginning of the healing process for the players who have quite likely lost all respect and desire.

Another reason was the risk of damaging credibility with future qualified head coaching candidates. This reason once again sounds good on the surface, however, in my opinion it is poppycock.

There are plenty of qualified candidates who would jump at the opportunity to be a head coach in this league. It is common occurance in the NFL. These coaches compete against each other on the sidelines, week after week, just as the players do on the field. They have big strong egos and all are aggresive in nature. Always thinking they are better and smarter than the next coach. You honestly believe that a candidate is going to balk at the job because he thinks the Rams were meanies to poor little scotty after all scotty has done? Give me a flippin break.

Please, anyone and everyone, feel free to post your worthy reasons for keeping scott linehan as head coach of the St. Louis Rams. I honestly can't wait to read them all.
    Honestly,I can't argue with your logic.I totally agree.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

There is really no reason to keep him, he has lost control of this team and will likely never get it back. The only question for me is when do you pull the trigger on him? If the team shows improvement this week does it buy him time? Or do you wait until they loose to the Seahawks again, a team that is not good either. This chapter of the book has to close even if Haslett takes over which I would not be a fan of but a change must take place. Linehan talks of lack of execution, well he should look in the mirror when he says that since he is the leading culprit.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Sunday's game was a pretty clear indication that the players do not support Linehan. He clearly is not the type of coach that can get players ready to face the opposition. It was really depressing to hear that the Rams side line and huddle lacked any type of emotion. If the team comes out flat again this week, and plays without intensity, I say cut him loose. I share makersncoke's hesitance over Haslett taking over as the defense was awful. I have zero confidence in this coaching staff.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Rick Venturi is the assistant head coach. We're talking interim here, so I say Rick would be the most viable interim, while the OC and DC remain in their respective positions to keep continuity.

Haslett makes no sense as interim. He is a lame duck once linehan is gone, however, he will need to stay motivated and come up with something for his future resume'. A new head coach brings in a new staff.

Truth is offline Registered User

I think that letting Linehan go after the 1st game of the season would definately damage an already tarnished FO reputation. That doesn't mean that we need to keep him through the entire season. However, if we are 0-4 into the bye week, I don't think letting him go at that point would surprise anyone. Nor would it damage our ability to recruit a new, QUALIFIED HC
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

moloch41 is offline Registered User

How about all we have invested in his shaved head? Remember- that symbolizes all the change that we're going to undergo this season- how can we possibly move on to new things without that?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Keep the lame duck coach, so the fans bail out on you and then you can say "we get no support, we can't get a nice stadium because we can't get any support, we need to break our lease and move"....ooops, that already happened...that wouldn't happen again would it?

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The reason I would keep him is because I believe it is still too early to fire him. If you can name me one head coach who was canned after the first game of the season, I might be inclined to jump on your bandwagon.

I do believe however, that Linehan is on the hotseat whether our miseries are his fault or not.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Why fire him mid season? Name one good reason. What kind of great advantage does it give this team to fire their head coach halfway through the season or better yet after 1 game? Will this magically make our players turn up their intensity? Do you think Linehan walks around with an intensity vacuum sucking the will to succeed out of all the players? How about this. One good reason NOT to fire him is because it never helps a god damn thing. Our team needs to worry about winning games, not looking for a new head coach. Worry about that after the season is over. This kind of stuff is getting ridiculous.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Why fire him mid season? Name one good reason. What kind of great advantage does it give this team to fire their head coach halfway through the season or better yet after 1 game? Will this magically make our players turn up their intensity? Do you think Linehan walks around with an intensity vacuum sucking the will to succeed out of all the players? How about this. One good reason NOT to fire him is because it never helps a god damn thing. Our team needs to worry about winning games, not looking for a new head coach. Worry about that after the season is over. This kind of stuff is getting ridiculous.
    Only reason i can think of to fire him is that the FO might see it as a way to show the dwindling fan base that they are trying to change/improve. I'm not gonna start chanting for Linehan's head mid season because i think we will instantly become a better team w/o him... but then again, i dont see how we could get any worse either.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, this can easily be argued that it is not giving up on the season, rather, it is giving up on a coach that has produced a 17-32 record with zero wins against a team with a winning record.
    Well yes, while it technically could be argued like that, that doesn't really address the notion that an interim head coach probably won't make this team any more successful in 2008. I also don't think an interim head coach begins the healing process. Rather, it gives someone a lame duck job until the end of the season when the real healing process will begin with the hiring of a true head coach.

The best and most qualified head coaching candidates are generally sought after by more than one team. Sometimes even when they're highly sought after, they opt to pass on those jobs (ie: Jason Garrett).

So yes, I believe that the manner in which a front office previously treated head coaches could be a factor in the decision of a coaching candidate.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Reason to keep the entire Front office and Coaching staff
    unchanged

So Matt Millen in Detroit doesn't have any further damage done to his Self-Esteem.

We are a very caring people.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If we lose this game against the Giants in a big way to then he's gotta go. If we show the same performance again then its obvious somethings wrong. You just can't have this kind of talent and watch it go to waste. Its puzzling for everyone, but at this time nobody really has a clue as to whats going on.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Why does this guy keep getting second chances... in fact, can anyone count the number of second chances we've given him? And still many people say one more game, no a couple of more games... rubbish. Why wait. Whats it doing our team is a laughing stock in the NFL right now. The players don't seem to want to play for him, He hasn't shown the fans that he is a good coach... so why do we wait... to save face? make our FO look like caring people? I don't understand, in any other business after the 3 years we've suffered under this guy, mid-quarter, mid-season, its business get him out of there. Whats keeping him until 4 losses going to prove? or mid season? or the end of the year. Either way we are still going to lose like always in this regime, just pull the cord now, like a band-aid the sting will hurt but briefly instead of dragging it out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast