Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BIG T is offline Registered User

Re: Worthy reasons to keep linehan

You are CORRECT, THERE IS NO REASON TO KEEP LINEHAN. Remove him and Haslett NOW and MOVE ON.......

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Why fire him mid season? Name one good reason. What kind of great advantage does it give this team to fire their head coach halfway through the season or better yet after 1 game? Will this magically make our players turn up their intensity? Do you think Linehan walks around with an intensity vacuum sucking the will to succeed out of all the players? How about this. One good reason NOT to fire him is because it never helps a god damn thing. Our team needs to worry about winning games, not looking for a new head coach. Worry about that after the season is over. This kind of stuff is getting ridiculous.
    Not true- look at the Mets. I believe they are in first place now days.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Let me think - why would the Ram's keep a coach that -
    1) Could not realize that he "was really the head coach" and not the OC too.
    2) As a result of 1, he handed over the play calling to someone else - who is no longer on the staff.
    3) Has shown an inability to motivate any of the key veterans. In fact the key vets have revolted in a sense.
    4) May not have the respect of the veterans - and as a result they will no longer play at a high level for him. I base this on the premise that the Ram's level of talent, although not playoff quality, is certainly better than an 35 pt loss to Philly. The Vets need to lead and show the young ones how the job works - clearly this has not happened.
    5) Is clearly confused as to what he should do - he just does not have a notion as to what it takes to win at this level. His record speaks for itself - slice it and anayze it any way you like.
    6) Has such a flat emotional affect, that players do not know what is truly important to him and therefore everything appears to be a top priority.
    7) Has not demonstated if he is "players" coach (Vermeil type) or a win at any cost type of coach (treat is like a business coach like Belichick Sp?). Either you stick up for your players (not demonstrated by letting #80 go), earn their respect and you can call them out if he suspects performance is sub-par or you treat all the players as interchangeable parts and if one part does not work you get another. Perhaps, the lack of draft picks that have stuck and an inability to get FAs that have made a real difference have made option 2 an impossibility.

Just don't think the players have comitted to SL - the level of play has never been there during his tenure. In every game that I have watched, I have always wondered "...where the hell is the emotion..." it has never been there imo.

If SL had any potential to be a HC - it is certianly not on display today.
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -09-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The best and most qualified head coaching candidates are generally sought after by more than one team. Sometimes even when they're highly sought after, they opt to pass on those jobs (ie: Jason Garrett).

So yes, I believe that the manner in which a front office previously treated head coaches could be a factor in the decision of a coaching candidate.
    Maybe we're living through that effect right now. In 2006, the coaching prospects saw how this FO had just handled the Martz situation (soap opera, to say the least), and which candidates stuck around? Ron Rivera (now a LB coach), Cam Cameron (1-15 as HC, fired), and Linehan (11-22 as HC). So the Rams had to choose their HC from a group that included one who could not even get another coordinator job as of yet; one who got turned down by 4 teams before winning 1 whole game with the team that said yes; and ..........well, Linehan. Ironic that results have shown Linehan was the top choice.

Certainly speaks as to the shallow pool the FO was swimming in.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe we're living through that effect right now. In 2006, the coaching prospects saw how this FO had just handled the Martz situation (soap opera, to say the least), and which candidates stuck around? Ron Rivera (now a LB coach), Cam Cameron (1-15 as HC, fired), and Linehan (11-22 as HC). So the Rams had to choose their HC from a group that included one who could not even get another coordinator job as of yet; one who got turned down by 4 teams before winning 1 whole game with the team that said yes; and ..........well, Linehan. Ironic that results have shown Linehan was the top choice.

Certainly speaks as to the shallow pool the FO was swimming in.

I just think that the fact that Larry Marmie's name was not on that list of canidates shows their utter incompetence.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I just think that the fact that Larry Marmie's name was not on that list of canidates shows their utter incompetence.
    Moloch, Ph.D. in Sarcasmology
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Rick Venturi is the assistant head coach. We're talking interim here, so I say Rick would be the most viable interim, while the OC and DC remain in their respective positions to keep continuity.

Haslett makes no sense as interim. He is a lame duck once linehan is gone, however, he will need to stay motivated and come up with something for his future resume'. A new head coach brings in a new staff.
    You take over a sinking ship and it's like trying to bale out water with a thimble.

--Veteran NFL assistant Rick Venturi, who compiled a 2-17 record as an interim head coach with the Colts and Saints in the 1990s

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk for President.

Or coach, or GM, or OC, or overlord of the earth.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

As I suspected, no worthy reasons so far. Perhaps there will be a mad rush at the last minute.

As far as the history on the hiring of linehan. Let's get that straight. Shaw developed a short list of candidates he thought would be the best fit. He overlooked plenty of others at the time. He had a predisposed "type" in mind and never really deviated from that.

Personally, I think linehan was retained simply because of Georgia's passing. Her passing coincided with the timing of a decision on whether or not to bring linehan back. I doubt Shaw wanted to deal with any kind of coaching change at that time. I'm sure it was the least of his concerns. Well, I can certainly sympathize with that, but it sure set the state of the Rams back.

God I miss the 70's Rams. Today's Rams seem to grow more and more dysfunctional by each passing year. Ownership, location, personnel and coaching are all in a state of flux. It could take years to recover from this mess.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

As I suspected, no worthy reasons so far. Perhaps there will be a mad rush at the last minute.

As far as the history on the hiring of linehan. Let's get that straight. Shaw developed a short list of candidates he thought would be the best fit. He overlooked plenty of others at the time. He had a predisposed "type" in mind and never really deviated from that.

Personally, I think linehan was retained simply because of Georgia's passing. Her passing coincided with the timing of a decision on whether or not to bring linehan back. I doubt Shaw wanted to deal with any kind of coaching change at that time. I'm sure it was the least of his concerns. Well, I can certainly sympathize with that, but it sure set the state of the Rams back.

God I miss the 70's Rams. Today's Rams seem to grow more and more dysfunctional by each passing year. Ownership, location, personnel and coaching are all in a state of flux. It could take years to recover from this mess.

No worthy reasons according to who? You?

There were some worthy reasons that made perfectly good sense. Whether you agree with them or not, is really irrelevant. In fact, if John Shaw felt there were no reasons to keep him he'd be gone wouldn't he?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    No worthy reasons according to who? You?

There were some worthy reasons that made perfectly good sense. Whether you agree with them or not, is really irrelevant. In fact, if John Shaw felt there were no reasons to keep him he'd be gone wouldn't he?
    Well, just for you I read the thread again. There were no "worthy" reasons to "keep linehan". Perhaps you'd like to try again? This time, try to think of a reason or reasons that make linehan worthwhile and eloborate as to how that reason or reasons translate into keeping him as opposed to not keeping him. I know it will be difficult, however, since you want to play so badly you will have to think of something worthwhile.

BTW did you mean John Shaw - "The John Shaw" - as in The John Shaw that hired linehan to begin with? Tell me you did not mean that John Shaw? Oh that's simply too funny to ridicule!

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Well, just for you I read the thread again. There were no "worthy" reasons to "keep linehan". Perhaps you'd like to try again? This time, try to think of a reason or reasons that make linehan worthwhile and eloborate as to how that reason or reasons translate into keeping him as opposed to not keeping him. I know it will be difficult, however, since you want to play so badly you will have to think of something worthwhile.

BTW did you mean John Shaw - "The John Shaw" - as in The John Shaw that hired linehan to begin with? Tell me you did not mean that John Shaw? Oh that's simply too funny to ridicule!

Yes I did mean John Shaw, the one that hired him and every other coach the Rams have had in the last 20 or 30 something years. And I've already stated my reason, which is so valid that you can't name one coach in the history of the league that was canned after the first game of the season. Name one and I'll give you reason number 2.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There are plenty of qualified candidates who would jump at the opportunity to be a head coach in this league. It is common occurance in the NFL. These coaches compete against each other on the sidelines, week after week, just as the players do on the field. They have big strong egos and all are aggresive in nature. Always thinking they are better and smarter than the next coach. You honestly believe that a candidate is going to balk at the job because he thinks the Rams were meanies to poor little scotty after all scotty has done? Give me a flippin break.
    Jumping at the opportunity to be a Headcoach in the NFL I buy for sure.

Please list the "plenty" of qualified candidates? Qualified by who?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Worthy reasons? FO can't face the fact that they screwed up? Ego won't let them face the facts that after this season is over, Scott Linehan MUST go.

But that's just synical, not necessarily worthy.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

clarasDK is offline Registered User

We should keep Linehan until Cowher is ready to unretire (hopefully in 2009). Until then we can keep getting high draft picks that we can waste on all kinds of bad players

I am so depressed these days................... Thank you Linehan!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast