Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Worthy reasons to keep linehan

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And I've already stated my reason, which is so valid that you can't name one coach in the history of the league that was canned after the first game of the season.
    1978 George Allen is fired by the Los Angeles Rams before the first game of regular season, he was fired during the preseason.

However, that's not a worthy reason to keep linehan. What's been done or what has not been done does not qualify him or make him worthy as a head coach. Also, just because you are enamored with John Shaw, does not qualify John Shaw as a person that continually makes sound football decisions.

What makes linehan a worthy head coach to keep this job? What has he accomplished in this position that makes him worthy? What qualities as a head coach does he possess that makes him worthy of keeping this job?

Geez, if the guy is so damn fine a head coach, I'd think you and many others would have a long list of worthy qualities and accomplishments that this guy has. Instead you seem to be struggling to name them; just as I struggled to name them before I wrote the post.

Jumping at the opportunity to be a Headcoach in the NFL I buy for sure.

Please list the "plenty" of qualified candidates? Qualified by who?
    Hey mod, I don't think you have ever left me a message before. Please pardon me if I'm not that touched with the manner in which you do it. You jump smack dab in the middle of the post, demanding answers to questions, before leaving one worthy reason to keep linehan. Kinda rude, if you ask me, but what the heck, right? Are you insinuating there are no qualified candidates and that linehan is worthy by default? ..or.. Are you just being lazy and asking me to do the research and develop a list of these candidates along with the qualifications they must possess? Apparently I will then need to get those qualifications certified from some important "who" of your choosing?

btimsah Guest

I second that.

Rams need to dump Linehan midseason to give the fans (and players) hope. Then finally at the end of the year if there is no progress with new coach, go after Cowher - A real coach with a real mustache and jaw.

mdram Guest

Lineham would probably be grateful at this point to be fired.
    The problem is the front office and ownership.
    Remember Lineham was hired because martz was to headstrong and did not play nice in the sand box.
    We needed a coach who could be pushed around by zagnut and shaw.
    WE need new ownership before anything changes. If that does not happen we are rearanging the deck chairs on the titanic

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I can think of a reason to keep him.... same reason he was hired in the first place.

he comes cheap.

Shaw and Ziggy need to save as much cash as they can (see also Isaac Bruce) to afford all the high draft picks coming in.

Oh wait wait wait..... your post says "WORTHY" reasons to keep him. I see what your looking for... oh no you won't find any of those... what do you think this is... New England? sheesh
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -09-12-2008 at 04:49 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I don't think it would be beneficial to let him go now. The Front office committed to him for this year, It would make them look even more incompetent for giving him a third year. I think he will be the head coach for better or worse at least until season ends. If he turns this thing around FO can say I knew he was the guy for the job all along. If not they can say they gave him a fair chance and that might help with the next HC because they would have shown some commitment to give him some time to right the ship.
    :ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Hey mod, I don't think you have ever left me a message before. Please pardon me if I'm not that touched with the manner in which you do it. You jump smack dab in the middle of the post, demanding answers to questions, before leaving one worthy reason to keep linehan. Kinda rude, if you ask me, but what the heck, right? Are you insinuating there are no qualified candidates and that linehan is worthy by default? ..or.. Are you just being lazy and asking me to do the research and develop a list of these candidates along with the qualifications they must possess? Apparently I will then need to get those qualifications certified from some important "who" of your choosing?
    Ferter,

It's laram0 not mod.

You are stating that there are plenty of qualified people that could headcoach an NFL team. I'm curious as to who or better yet whom you are referring to? I wasn't demanding any answers but if that's the way you chose to take it, that's on you.

Other than the obvious Schottenheimer and Cowher I can't say that I know of any qualified people waiting in the wings that want to be or are qualified to be a Headcoach.

Scott Linehan was and is qualified to be a Headcoach but has failed so far.
    However that could change with "ONE" win.

I find it interesting how you call out a mod and than make an attempt at offending me. Give it a rest, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I find it interesting how you call out a mod and than make an attempt at offending me. Give it a rest, we are all entitled to our opinions.
    Um - you really did not leave much of an opinion and nowhere will you find that I stated you were not entitled to an opinion.

Since we have no established rapport; I take it you feel it is best to start a rapport by calling me out in a rude manner and have me say nothing about it in return? It never ceases to amaze me how some people provoke, and rather than take accountability for their action, they blame the person that speaks up about being provoked.

Personally I do not think linehan is qualified. When he was hired, I thought he might be, but now it is very apparent to me that he was not qualified.

Since I am a nice guy by nature - here is a short list of head coaching candidates. Google each person individually - if you truly care to educate yourself on their qualifications.

Bruce Arians

Jim Caldwell

Norm Chow

Rob Chudzinski

Kirk Ferentz

Perry Fewell

Leslie Frazier

Jason Garrett

Russ Grimm

Mike Heimerdinger

Hue Jackson

Mike Martz

Josh McDaniels

Ron Meeks

Raheem Morris

Clancy Pendergast

Kennedy Pola

Rex Ryan

Rob Ryan

Mike Singletary

Ron Rivera

Kyle Shanahan

Brian Schottenheimer

Jim Schwartz

Mike Smith

Steve Spagnuolo

Jeff Tedford

Mike Zimmer

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

1978 George Allen is fired by the Los Angeles Rams before the first game of regular season, he was fired during the preseason.

However, that's not a worthy reason to keep linehan. What's been done or what has not been done does not qualify him or make him worthy as a head coach. Also, just because you are enamored with John Shaw, does not qualify John Shaw as a person that continually makes sound football decisions.

What makes linehan a worthy head coach to keep this job? What has he accomplished in this position that makes him worthy? What qualities as a head coach does he possess that makes him worthy of keeping this job?

Geez, if the guy is so damn fine a head coach, I'd think you and many others would have a long list of worthy qualities and accomplishments that this guy has. Instead you seem to be struggling to name them; just as I struggled to name them before I wrote the post.

Certainly not enamored or even necessarily like John Shaw for that matter, but I do agree with him in that he thinks it' too early to fire the head coach.

He did not bring him back for one game. If that were the case, I'm sure Linehan would've resigned after last season.

It makes absolutely no sense to go through what the team went through in the off-season to fire Linehan after one game.

Let it be known that I don't necessarily like or dislike Scott Linehan, but I do defend his right and fair opportunity to prove whether he's worthy or not.

For me it'll take one of two things to deem Linehan unworthy of any further considerations as head man. 1) the team is underachieving with no more than the normal amount of impact injuries, and virtually eliminated from the playoffs or 2) the star players on the team come out and say they can't coexist with him.

I predicted we'd be no worse than 4-4 after 8 games maybe 5-3 and I'm not backing down until we lose the 5th game. With that record particularly with our schedule, I believe Linehan would still be the head coach and things would be looking up. Then this thread and others like it, will be irrelevent. Here's to hoping I'm right.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Not true- look at the Mets. I believe they are in first place now days.
    Another example of how it can be done: The 2003 Florida Marlins. Jeffrey Loria fired Jeff Torborg and hired Jack McKeon before the All-Star break. They were the best team in MLB from July through October when they beat the Yankees in the World Series.

stlramman is offline Registered User

I certainly dont think he should be fired after one dismal game, really he should have been canned after last season, but as another poster noted the passing of Georgia and her apparent wish that he be given one more season are the main reasons he is still here. The Rams commited this season to him being the head coach, however if at the bye week( i think week 5) if they are still playing uninspired pathetic football and are on pace to match last years incompetence then he should be let go, Saunders takes over on interim basis and has a 12 game audition to light a fire in the bellies of our team.
    I dont know what the chances are of the Rams doing this, with the possibility of a change in ownership they may be hesitant to make the changes that obviously need to be made because new ownership will no doubt want to hire their own people.
    The best thing that could happen is for this team to start winning and for Bulger,SJ,Holt,Spoon and OJ to start playing like the pro-bowl calibur players that they are and the young guys to hit the field and contribute thus gaining valuable experience for the future. Short of that i am afraid we need a commitment by ownership to A.Win and B.Want to be long term owners of this team and if not please sell as quickly as possible so our Rams may return to prominance.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Here's the only way you rationalize keeping him and you are guaranteed a top 5 pick every year, then finally you get a real coach who puts all the talent together. Rams come out of seemingly nowhere and start to look like a team that is actually good. Otherwise run him out of town the only job he is barely qualified for is a te coach pop warner mighty mighty he might be even underqualified for that.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Um - you really did not leave much of an opinion and nowhere will you find that I stated you were not entitled to an opinion.

Since we have no established rapport; I take it you feel it is best to start a rapport by calling me out in a rude manner and have me say nothing about it in return? It never ceases to amaze me how some people provoke, and rather than take accountability for their action, they blame the person that speaks up about being provoked.

Personally I do not think linehan is qualified. When he was hired, I thought he might be, but now it is very apparent to me that he was not qualified.

Since I am a nice guy by nature - here is a short list of head coaching candidates. Google each person individually - if you truly care to educate yourself on their qualifications.

Bruce Arians

Jim Caldwell

Norm Chow

Rob Chudzinski

Kirk Ferentz

Perry Fewell

Leslie Frazier

Jason Garrett

Russ Grimm

Mike Heimerdinger

Hue Jackson

Mike Martz

Josh McDaniels

Ron Meeks

Raheem Morris

Clancy Pendergast

Kennedy Pola

Rex Ryan

Rob Ryan

Mike Singletary

Ron Rivera

Kyle Shanahan

Brian Schottenheimer

Jim Schwartz

Mike Smith

Steve Spagnuolo

Jeff Tedford

Mike Zimmer
    Since Linehan was hired as a Headcoach he must be qualified. Because he struggled in 2007 (injuriy riddled team) and the RAMS lost their first game in 2008 is not "qualified" anymore? Do you have to be a winner to be "qualified"?
    Because Linehan went (8-8) in 2006, which was an improvement for the team from (6-10) in 2005 he was "qualified'?

Even though Mike Martz is qualified he'll never coach the RAMS again.

What are the qualifications needed to be a Headcoach in the NFL? In your opinion? Hoping that I'm not being rude?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think there is truth to the assertion that Linehan was kept in some part because of Georgia' Frontiere's illness. She liked Linehan, and replacing him would have created a distraction where none was needed. I also think he got a pass on last year because of all the injuries. That said, it was the wrong decision. The thing that bothers me the most and the most damning indictment of Scott Linehan the coach is that the Rams aren't a tough team. They show no resolve in the face of adversity, get injured far too often and do not outwardly appear to be an intense, focused football team. When you do not have a dominant team, you must make up for it with ingenuity, smart play and grit. The Rams display none of these three elements.

Face it, we're stuck with Linehan until the end of the season. Football teams usually don't fire their head coaches in mid season. I would love to see Bill Cowher here, but something tells me he wouldn't be interested in St. Louis. If the Cleveland job opens up, he'd take that in a minute.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan View Post
    Let me think - why would the Ram's keep a coach that -
    1) Could not realize that he "was really the head coach" and not the OC too.
    2) As a result of 1, he handed over the play calling to someone else - who is no longer on the staff.
    3) Has shown an inability to motivate any of the key veterans. In fact the key vets have revolted in a sense.
    4) May not have the respect of the veterans - and as a result they will no longer play at a high level for him. I base this on the premise that the Ram's level of talent, although not playoff quality, is certainly better than an 35 pt loss to Philly. The Vets need to lead and show the young ones how the job works - clearly this has not happened.
    5) Is clearly confused as to what he should do - he just does not have a notion as to what it takes to win at this level. His record speaks for itself - slice it and anayze it any way you like.
    6) Has such a flat emotional affect, that players do not know what is truly important to him and therefore everything appears to be a top priority.
    7) Has not demonstated if he is "players" coach (Vermeil type) or a win at any cost type of coach (treat is like a business coach like Belichick Sp?). Either you stick up for your players (not demonstrated by letting #80 go), earn their respect and you can call them out if he suspects performance is sub-par or you treat all the players as interchangeable parts and if one part does not work you get another. Perhaps, the lack of draft picks that have stuck and an inability to get FAs that have made a real difference have made option 2 an impossibility.

Just don't think the players have comitted to SL - the level of play has never been there during his tenure. In every game that I have watched, I have always wondered "...where the hell is the emotion..." it has never been there imo.

If SL had any potential to be a HC - it is certianly not on display today.
    you know #7 makes alot of sense,he really didn't go to bat for Isaac and knowing how he was respected by everyone on the team and in fact the entire community could have something to do with why the team will not rally around him,he should have fought tooth and nail to keep Ike.

sig51 Guest

I believe he should be fired but after the season. He has done nothing since he has been in St. Louis except take a pretty good football team and turn it into a cellar dweller. I believe there is no point in getting rid of him during the season because it has no benefit to the team. In fact it sends a signal to team that the season is done, and that we all should just hang on to next year. Plus we never know what is going to happen, look at Tom Coughlin. People were screaming for his head around this same time last year as well as Eli's. Now he's the coach of the future in NY, and Eli is the giant quarterback conqueror of all, even though statistically he's gotten worse. Winning changes everything, and you can't sum up a season week 2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast