Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Worthy reasons to keep linehan

There are no worthy reasons to keep SL. However, more harm than good would result by a mid-season firing, let along firing him now. IMO a clean sweep needs to occur when SL is axed.

Ferter has posed a good question and listed a long list of candidates, but how many of those (assuming all are worthy) would want to come to this train wreak of a team to work for a front office too insecure to give them the control they would want and need in order to turn this team around?

To paraphrase Dr. Wayne Dyer: The people who create the problem are incapable of fixing the problem.

Bottom line: When the FO is fired, the Rams have a chance. Until then, these kinds of threads will proliferate on this site.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Last year after game 1 the Browns coach was in the same situation. He was hired and the team did not perform to expectation. The prior years the team had injuries to some key players Winslow, Edwards, Bentley, and etc.....

The Browns lost their season opener and most NFL experts label them as the worst team in the NFL. Pressure was put on the Browns FO to fire the head coach. The FO did not and the coach who was most certain on his way out went 10-6 and barely missed a playoff birth. One of the more exciting teams in 2007....

Will this happen with the Rams.... Proabably not but how will we know after only 1 GAME if they fire Linny now????

GO RAMS

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Even though Mike Martz is qualified he'll never coach the RAMS again.

What are the qualifications needed to be a Headcoach in the NFL? In your opinion? Hoping that I'm not being rude?
    So, out of that list the only coach you have a comment on is Martz? Martz deserved to be on a list like that since he is a viable candidate in general and not necessarily for the Rams. Regardless, this is not about Mike Martz. It is about linehan. Specifically, worthy reasons to keep linehan at this point.

I stated in another post that I do not expect that linehan will be fired anytime soon. However, that does not preclude the fact that there should be strong reasons that linehan is worthy of this position.

We all know that the NFL is about winning. That is just the way it is and always has been. Obviously a head coaching candidate without prior NFL head coaching experience is not going to have a won-loss record to qualify him for the job. So, one would have to use other criteria to choose a head coach without prior NFL head coaching experience. In that respect it can be a bit more of a gamble than choosing a head coach with a proven track record. On the surface, and depending how much is involved in the hiring process, these coaches without a proven track record can look qualified. However, at some point in time, they are going to have to establish a winning record as the leader of the team to prove those perceived qualifications were justified. Otherwise they will be fired.

That is as much as I am giving you at this point and more than you deserve. In my opinion you are still being rude. I asked for worthy reasons to keep linehan and you have given none. Yet, for some reason, you seem to expect that I should elaborate on your whims. Bring something to the thread, other than the ability to quote one sentence or an entire post. Perhaps a point of view, an opinion of note, something to show where you stand, if you are not willing to do that then I see no need to continue with you.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Not true- look at the Mets. I believe they are in first place now days.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    Another example of how it can be done: The 2003 Florida Marlins.
    How do examples from a completely different sport matter in a football discussion?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How do examples from a completely different sport matter in a football discussion?

Because there are parallels. Sometimes the talent is there, but needs to be shaken up. Now, don't get me wrong- it's a lot shorter season, so you can't bring in someone from the outside, but you can promote someone from within and shift people around.
    Last edited by moloch41; -09-13-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Because there are parallels. Sometimes the talent is there, but needs to be shaken up. Now, don't get me wrong- it's a lot shorter season, so you can't bring in someone from the outside, but you can promote someone from within and shift people around.
    If no change by the break I will be all in with you and hope that they get rid of Linny and promote from within....... As long as it's not Hassss

Go Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    As long as it's not Hassss

Go Rams
    I'm with you there. I'm thinking it would probably be Saunders tho.

And don't get me wrong- I'm not saying replace Linehan right now- because you already made the commitment to bring him back for another season, but if 4 weeks down the line, we're 0-5 and it's just repeat performances of last week, you have to do something. The stadium will be completely empty- we'll make the Tampa Bay Ray fans look enthusiastic. At the very least, you'd have to jettison Linehan and Haslett.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess I simply don't agree that you can look at midseason coaching changes in baseball and somehow conclude that, because of its success in that sport, they can succeed in football. An actual example of it succeeding in football would be convincing; a baseball example, at least to me, really isn't.

skelley is offline Registered User

Cam Cameron was a better qualified HC than Linny. He was shown the door without so much as a 2nd thought. He took over a far worse team than Linny, & yet Linny has fared quite poorly in all 3 years. What bothers me most about Linny is he and the Rams have seemed to get worse with each passing week since he got the job.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

there really is no good reason to keep him,he still lacks the fire that I would like to see in a head coach and besides he still has that deer in the headlights look on the sidelines,he is simply in over his head,OC maybe( not for the Rams) ,HC no way.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

He does remain upbeat and poised under tremendous pressure. I think he is finally feeling a sense of urgency. I think he under estimated the lack of player leadership on this Rams roster and never became the leader that they desperately needed. It is unfortunate that he has lost this group. The players are extremely lacking in confidence; thus they are very fragile and effort falls off when the slightest adversity sets in. A very sad state of affairs - indeed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234