Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    skelley is offline Registered User

would 8-8 save Linny?

I read alot of "I'll be happy with 8-8" here. I'm cool with that seeing we just went 3-13. but does 8-8 keep Linny's job?

I think he's gotta go at least 9-7 or he's done(which is what I'm hoping for). 8-8 factored in with last year's injury woes is a stand pat record from 2 years ago when we had that 2nd half meltdown. If he was given a pass due to so many injuries I would have to expect Shaw wants improvement over Linny's first year.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: would 8-8 save Linny?

It depends on if we make the playoffs i believe. if the Rams make it into the wild card 8-8 i think his chances are 50/50 on staying around, also depending on if we win the wildcard game. 9-7 i think he has a nice chance of sticking around and i think itd be a great turn around from 3-13. Would put us 2nd in the division at worst.

But 8-8 and no wild card/playoff, i dont see him around after this season.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I hope he doesn't stay if we go 10-6... I want to see Saunders get his chance there now.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If we go 8-8 and win the super bowl i am confident he will be back.

All kidding aside, i think it depends as the prior posts have said on whether 8-8 makes the playoffs and whether we win a playoff game. It also depends on the injuries.

One of Linehan's two biggest obstacles as i see it (the other being the brutality of the early season schedule) is that if we do well offensively, saunders will get the credit and if we do poorly, linehan will likely get the blame.

If i was a betting man (which as you all know i am not), i would say that at 8-8 he is not back unless we win a playoff game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it would be pretty iffy at that point. Playoffs or no, I'd be looking at how we got to 8-8. Did we lose several on dubious calls at the end of the game? Did the offense struggle out of the gate because they were adjusting to the new offensive system? Were all of our wins against teams like Miami, Atlanta, and San Francisco or did we take down a powerhouse like Dallas or New England? Most importantly, did the team appear to improve substantially over the course of the season?

If we drop the first three games while trying to get the hang of the new offensive system, then turn it around and go 8-5 from there on out, winning a few by wide margins and only barely letting a couple of others slip away in tight losses, and staying in the playoff hunt until late in the season, I'd wager Linehan gets another chance. Basically, if at the end of the season we look like a team that deserves to be in the playoffs (whether we are or not), then we'll have made the progress necessary.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think it would be pretty iffy at that point. Playoffs or no, I'd be looking at how we got to 8-8. Did we lose several on dubious calls at the end of the game? Did the offense struggle out of the gate because they were adjusting to the new offensive system? Were all of our wins against teams like Miami, Atlanta, and San Francisco or did we take down a powerhouse like Dallas or New England? Most importantly, did the team appear to improve substantially over the course of the season?

If we drop the first three games while trying to get the hang of the new offensive system, then turn it around and go 8-5 from there on out, winning a few by wide margins and only barely letting a couple of others slip away in tight losses, and staying in the playoff hunt until late in the season, I'd wager Linehan gets another chance. Basically, if at the end of the season we look like a team that deserves to be in the playoffs (whether we are or not), then we'll have made the progress necessary.
    I'm with you Goldenfleece. I couldn't have said it better. Reps to you.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

if 8-8 is good enough for him to keep his job,what type of contract does he get ? by that I mean 1 yr,3yrs or do you feel good enough about the progress top go for 5 years ?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

With as brutal of a schedule as we have at the start of the season, if he goes 8-8 he will be back. To me, going 8-8 with this team and that schedule is a great job done by all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yea, 8-8 brings him back. That's a 5 game improvement; like an 8-8 team going 13-3. Not to mention, what head coach (other than a rookie) would take this job? Ownership in flux, management in flux, aged roster........it's not that appealing really.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I can see it now, 8-8 will save Linny's job, yet he will match his '06 output. Wow, that would be almost as a great as a bucket full of sunshine!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i don't think it can thats 2 mediocre seasons and a terrible one with the great offense he has. Unless he wins a playoff game I think he will be out along with Haslett and Saunders will get a chance to run the show

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

I certainly hope not.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    i don't think it can thats 2 mediocre seasons and a terrible one with the great offense he has. Unless he wins a playoff game I think he will be out along with Haslett and Saunders will get a chance to run the show

Just a question....what great offense are you talking about? Holt is banged up, Bennett hasn't proven anything, and we have rookies that are going to be heavily counted on.

I think we are really overestimating how good this WR corp is going to be. We have Jackson and he is one of the best RBs in the league. Bulger is a top notch QB. However, with Holt banged up we aren't that talented on offense.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Just a question....what great offense are you talking about? Holt is banged up, Bennett hasn't proven anything, and we have rookies that are going to be heavily counted on.I think we are really overestimating how good this WR corp is going to be. We have Jackson and he is one of the best RBs in the league. Bulger is a top notch QB. However, with Holt banged up we aren't that talented on offense.
    Good point .. I believe the key to resurrecting our O will rely on how successfully we can spread the ball around. When the GSOT was in full bloom, opposing Ds never knew what was coming next. Holt, Bennett, R-Mac, Burton, Avery, Jackson, Leonard and occasionally Becht, should provide enough tools for Al to work with. If Dante Hall makes the final cut he could factor in as well .. If opposing Ds take Holt away, we've got to be able to make them pay by being versatile. R-mac could be the guy who shines this year ..

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

This is the NFL folks... you either produce or you go home. If he can't manage one single winning season out of 3 years at the helm- he'll be done. The question gets a bit dicier if its a winning season, or better yet, a playoff hunt. playoff games equal big money, so Rams will be delighted if that happens, but will it be enough to keep him around? probably.

but there's also a risk that any turnaround (which will invariably be due to an increased offensive production) may be perceived as attributable to Saunders rather than Linny. There's a definite risk of that and that would affect the decision-making process as well. So even if its a winning record for him, it may not stop him from receiving the pink slip while Al starts measuring his office.

I think too, that Linny's future will be based just as much upon the ownership/sale issue than the final record. Ownership may want to leave their options open to facilitate a sale, etc. With stuff like that happening in the management echelon, even if a winning season is had, Linny could still meet his end as the Rams HC.

Seems like most are basing their predictions entirely upon the final record and playoff games- I don't disagree. I merely wanted to point out that there are other factors, which are just as viable, that will/may affect Linny's final status in Feb. '09.

I don't care, either way. Just win baby!
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -06-23-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: missing word

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast