View Poll Results: Whats the max you would give in a trade for Jenkins?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glover and 7th

1 3.03%
  • Glover and 6th

6 18.18%
  • Glover and 5th

3 9.09%
  • Glover and 4th

4 12.12%
  • Glover and 3rd

3 9.09%
  • Glover only

2 6.06%
  • I would not want to give up Glover to get him

9 27.27%
  • Nothing I would not want him

5 15.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Would anyone trade Glover and a pick for Jenkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can we just have Adam Carriker change his name legally to Kris Jenkins and be done with it?
    As long as the change wouldn't make him 70 lbs fatter, I'd be okay with it ...

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

CArriker may be the man for 10years but very rarly does a rookie show up rookie year. We have a chance to make a push in the playoffs. Holt and bruce aern't getting younger. I like Glover but glover is not a young pup. He is also not really the guy that can play every down anymore, lets hit the facts again
    jenkins is 27 (still young)
    he played all 16 games last season
    He was a Pro Bowler
    He has shown up over weight before this season and lost the weight
    He has been in contract issues with the Panthers

Ok he is over weight ... So players are over weight all the time, washed up is not a very accurate term for the guy at 27 comming off a pro bowl year. No one jumped on Jenkins before the draft because the panthers were asking too much. It had nothing to do with lack of interest. Let's be honest who will be the better against the run and undersized aging glover or Jenkins. Who is going to be more help to a rookie comming into the nfl an aging Glover or Jenkins, who is going to help free up Little from double coverage Glover or little. Who is going to be more help in the playoffs glover or little. Glover has better technique and probably a bettr pass rusher but we don't need help with the pass we need help with the run? Do we want to be a safe team or a winning team??

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    At this stage we have three rookie D-linemen who are going to need mentoring.
    All the more reason to have the best Veteran run stuffer you can get. Between Glover and Jenkins itís Jenkins. Jenkins team last year when he started all 16 games 11th. Glovers 31st. We need a proven veteran starting whether its Glover or Jenkins its the question which is the best for what we need. For my money its Jenkins if we want a run stuffer and I want someone to improve our 31st ranked run defense. I am not feeling real confident in Glover and relying on a rookie as much as I like Carriker, which is a lot.

Who would you rather have mentoring them? A 385 lb newcomer with conditioning issues whose team felt he was expendable, and additionally would have to learn Haslett's system, or a proven high character guy who respects Haslett, knows his scheme inside and out while embracing the role of mentor and realizing that he must lead by example?
    I want to win now so I want the best starters we can put on the field. I want to improve the 31st ranking in the NFL I would like to be where Carolina was last year 11th. If we want the best mentor lets resign Demarco Farr and have him start for us I think he got the most out of his talent at DT. You don't pick starters on a team by who is the best role model. TO would be a different story he talks bad about his team and gets into arguments with them. That has never been the case with Jenkins. Jenkins has played at a very high level is a big guy and has some good moves he could teach some rooks some thing by them watching.

3rd and short 1 yard to go the other team is up by 1 they get a first they can run out the clock and win. Who do you want to stop the run Carriker and the role model (Glover) or Carriker and Jenkins?
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Just be honest RamsSB99, you're Kris Jenkins agent aren't you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Just be honest RamsSB99, you're Kris Jenkins agent aren't you.
    Yes I am and here is my sales pitch you were 31st in the NFL in rush defense last year. My guy is only 27 he helped his team to a 11th ranking, starting all 16 games last year, and went to the ProBowl. Yes, he is not at his desireable playing weight but he has lost the weight before and every season that he has played he has been very productive. He has had some injuries in the past and they were not related to his weight they were injuries that could happen to any football player. They have been put behind him he has returned started all 16 games and was productive last year in helping his team.

With all that said Rams how comfotable do you feel with a DT stopping the run thats is 6'2 290 versus 6'4 335. How comfortable do you feel with 3 rookies and a second year player at DT? How comfortable do you feel with a DT that relies on his quickness that will be 34 years old at the begining of the season and he was on your team last year when it was ranked 31st in rush defense. Whats more of a gamble going with three rookies and an aging DT that is not know for his runstopping ability or a guy that is just 27 years old went to the ProBowl last year and has the size needed to help stop the run?

Not to mention you already have Claude Wrotten in the same mold as Glover. Wrotten is 6'2 295. You don't have anyone thats 6'4 335. You don't have the big guys to stop the run. I hear you are big on Carriker and the kid has a lot of potential but he spent the majority of his time at DE and has yet to play DT at the next level. If you really want to stop the run you may not wan't to count on a rookie as your only run stopper who played DE in college.

You might get lucky and the rook DE converted to DT may turn out great as a runstuffer in his first year. You may have one of your other three rookies step up and be a run stopper in his frist year. However I have seen you fail to find a run stopper with D-Lew, Kennedy, and Pickett took a few years to get going.

Good luck in improving the 31st rush defense to a respectable 11th like my client helped his team achieve. Best wishes.

Now taking off my agents hat I still have hope for this DL with or without Jenkins. However I so drastically want to see our run defense improve to a respectable level that I want to upgrade the one DT spot with the best option we can find to stop the run. I do believe we will be better with Carriker then Kennedy. I also believe Hall and Adeyanju (2nd year) will help slightly improve. I don't want to be screaming at my TV if we make the playoffs and Vick and Dunn are running wild untouched. The Rams have been bad for a good while at run D I hope its fixed this year.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-10-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Jenkins did play a full season last year, but even Carolina writers will admit that his election to the Pro Bowl was based on name rather than on-field performance. I believe he turns 28 in August and even though that's still relatively young the concern isn't about the number of years but rather the wear and tear he's seen. Playing one full year last year doesn't remove missing significant time the previous two. Also consider that he showed up overweight (yes he can lose it, but the fact that he's out of shape is a red flag regardless) and wants a new deal, which we'd have to pay him before he does anything for us. It's NOT a good situation, IMO.

But it's a moot argument anyways, as Linehan basically came out and said that they never had a serious discussion about it. This story is being kept alive not because of reports that it's a possibility but rather because fans won't stop talking about it. At what point does it die?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jenkins did play a full season last year, but even Carolina writers will admit that his election to the Pro Bowl was based on name rather than on-field performance. I believe he turns 28 in August and even though that's still relatively young the concern isn't about the number of years but rather the wear and tear he's seen. Playing one full year last year doesn't remove missing significant time the previous two. Also consider that he showed up overweight (yes he can lose it, but the fact that he's out of shape is a red flag regardless) and wants a new deal, which we'd have to pay him before he does anything for us. It's NOT a good situation, IMO.

But it's a moot argument anyways, as Linehan basically came out and said that they never had a serious discussion about it. This story is being kept alive not because of reports that it's a possibility but rather because fans won't stop talking about it. At what point does it die?
    So Glover won't be going anywhere anytime soon, won't be apart of any trades, and the Rams roll with him for rest of this year?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dgr828 View Post
    So Glover won't be going anywhere anytime soon, won't be a part of any trades, and the Rams roll with him for rest of this year?

Yes, I would think so. I have a hunch that both Linehan and Haslett 'plan' (tentatively) to keep Glover as the veteran leader at DT, even if he plays in and out via rotation. La'Roi is a leader and I'm thinking he may retire as a Ram, meaning he's taking his present role of Dean of DTs very seriously. His days as a Pro Bowler -- a True Pro Bowler -- may be behind him but his presence among our DL is very important, especially now with the rookie prospects to mentor.

I'd sure like to see Glover help in molding AC and Clifton Ryan into the NFL.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    So Glover won't be going anywhere anytime soon, won't be apart of any trades, and the Rams roll with him for rest of this year?
    There's been no indication otherwise, and we only have one other UT on the roster besides Glover (unless you count Carriker), so I wouldn't expect him to be moved, no. His snaps will be reduced as they try to rotate Wroten in more, but he'll still be on this line I would think
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Go on the panthers board and see if find a single guy that thinks that they need depth on the defensive line compared to their other needs. They think they can win now and i dont blame them. Furthermore, glover makes big money and they arent taking a guy like glover as a backup or a platoon guy for the money he makes.

The more you want to play for this year, the more you argue for a vet run stuffer, the more you should be stating that we should have kept kennedy, who at least is the devil you know with upside given his contract situation and the fact that his hand is healed. The more you argue that three rookies at dt is ok, the more someone is saying "let the kids develop and look to the future." Jenkins was not as good as lewis last year, go ask any of the guys on the panthers board. Thats a bitter pill for a lot of people around here to swallow since the same people that are calling kennedy a worthless player were also saying the same thing about lewis. In lewis' case, at least his contract expired.

Bottom line- i wish people could deal with the difference between draft bust (ie he is not achieving at or anywhere near the expected level based on where he was picked) and worthless. They arent the same thing. As a backup at nose tackle, kennedy is perfectly functional and a known commodity, exactly what a contending team needs, compared to complete total absolute unknown production from a 5 and 7 pick with virtually zero history of rookies at that position picked in those rounds producing in year one in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Glover isn't likely to have a lot of trade value at this point, and I'd just as soon keep him. At this point, Jenkins might be a better defensive tackle, but you do have to wonder how fully he has recovered from his injuries. Those can slow you down as easily as age. At the least, Glover is a credit to our team as a role model and mentor for these young guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12