coy bacon Guest

Would Bruce really be worth it?

I guess I don't have the sentimentality about Bruce that most of ya'll have.

I see an old guy, who gets banged up too easily it seems, eating up a big chunk of salary cap. The Ram's offered him what seems to be fair, perhaps too fair compensation, and he balked.

See ya. It's been nice, thanks for the memories.

The Ram's have been well off at the WR position for some time. I think Curtis can replace Bruce, and with Looker and McDonald, I think we're ok. Even bring back Flurrey?

I'd rather see us spend the dough on some proven DB and LBs, and DL peeps. Or O-lineman.

He should be able to get a nice one year deal some place and make better money than what the Ram's offered him. Or, maybe other teams will see that he's just another banged up WR, who's past his prime and demanding more cash then he's worth.

Cutting Bruce is a great move by the usually "stuck in the dark fog of winter hell" FO.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would Bruce really be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I'd rather see us spend the dough on some proven DB and LBs, and DL peeps. Or O-lineman.
    I think that's the key. If the Rams use the money they are saving by not paying Bruce the big $ to improve these areas through FA acquisitions, it would be tough to argue with the move.

Truth is, Holt/Curtis/McDonald/Looker is still a very solid WR corps.

CanadianRam! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Truth is, Holt/Curtis/McDonald/Looker is still a very solid WR corps.
    true that...we can do without bruce if necessary but ppl want him back for sentimental reasons. as much as i want him back, we cant afford to sacrifice our future in order to get him.

maineram Guest

Sentimenatility aside, I think Isaac is still a quality receiver. Unless their millions of dollars per year different in the negotiations, you gotta sign him. Isaac has already restructured his contract in the past to help the team, and is willing to do it again.

As much as I'd hate to see Marshall in this same situation, I'd rather have the Rams cut Marshall than Issac.

There was a time that they may have been thinking about cutting Jackie Slater, when his career was winding down. Thank god they didn't. Sign Isaac to what will be responsible to the teams cap, but keeps him a Ram, period. Great players ending a career with the same team that drafted them just doesn't happen alot anymore. This is one that would be easy to do, and keep both sides happy.

Come on Jay, don't be that fart in the wetsuit.

Maineram -

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I guess I don't have the sentimentality about Bruce that most of ya'll have.

I see an old guy, who gets banged up too easily it seems
    Banged up too easily???? Turf toe is an almost impossible injury to play with. Since 1999 and not including last year with the turf toe Bruce has missed a total of 1 game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Even though he is a little older than other receivers, and he is asking for a lot of money, I still believe that he is a very valuable asset to the RAMS.

- He has leadership abilities.
    - He can run routes as good, or better than anyone else in the NFL right now.
    - The RAMS offense relies on great receivers. He can more than fill those shoes.
    - He is a great person in general - great for the community in St. Louis.

#1 - reason - He is a RAM !!!!

He should go out as a RAM.

(Maybe we can get some of the other players to pitch in a couple of bills to help him get over the hump).
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Great post Coy,

The emotional response to his potential departure has been touching and entirely understandable, but it relies on us living in the past to an extent. It is sentimental.

Having said that, I hope he resigns because he makes us a better team with more of a chance to hit the playoffs. He provides veteran leadership and excellent depth. Whether he can be counted on down the stretch or over a full season would be a doubt and he is aging, hence the cut. He 's just not worth $8 mil a year to a team in our position right now.

$5mil next year compares very well with WR's in similar positions in their career's. Not a derisory sum. Why didn't he take it?

As for loyalty, he's been with the team for 12 years and been rewarded very handsomely for doing so. He's put up HOF numbers in my opinion (if not first ballot) and had a great career. Father time marches on, and it would be distasteful for all concerned, Bruce especially if he was signed for reasons other than performance and leadership on the field.

He is as responsible as the FO for this impasse and if he wants it done, it will get done.