MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Would Haslett want to bring this guy into the fold??

Two-year veteran Courtney Watson, at one point regarded as the long-term solution to the New Orleans Saints' lingering problems at middle linebacker, appears now to be a short-timer with the team.

Watson

New Orleans officials have excused Watson, the team's second-round choice in the 2004 draft, from this weekend's full-squad minicamp, and coach Sean Payton acknowledged the Saints have granted the former Notre Dame star permission to seek potential trade partners.

Watson, 25, was actually traded to the Miami Dolphins last month in a one-for-one swap that sent three-year veteran linebacker Eddie Moore to the Saints. The deal was voided, however, when Moore, also a former second-round choice, failed the physical examination administered by the Saints' medical staff.

At a rookie minicamp last month, Payton said he had discussed Watson's status with him, and suggested he would return to the Saints, at least temporarily. But the awkward nature of the situation, with Watson aware that he did not fit into the plans of the new Saints' coaching staff, clearly prompted the team to request that he not attend this weekend's practices.

Two other players the Saints have been shopping in trade talks during the offseason, safety Dwight Smith and tailback Michael Bennett, are attending the minicamp.

The situation with Watson is indicative of how a player's status can be affected when there is a coaching change. Under former coach Jim Haslett, dismissed after the 2005 season, Watson was generally regarded as a promising player. But the Saints say the scheme being installed by new defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs is not a good fit for Watson, who started 14 games in two seasons with the team.

New Orleans added four veteran linebackers in free agency this spring, including the Friday acquisitions of Tommy Polley and Jay Foreman, and that made Watson even more expendable.

If the Saints can't find a trade partner, Watson could be released, probably before the start of training camp.

The 60th player chosen in the 2004 draft, Watson signed a five-year, $2.98 million contract with the Saints, including a $1.052 million signing bonus. Releasing Watson would mean New Orleans spent $1.59 million on him in two years, with only a modest return. Watson voided the fifth season of the deal, and has two years left on the contract, at base salaries of $425,000 for 2006 and $460,000 for 2007.

In 21 appearances, Watson has 115 tackles, three sacks and three passes defensed. His 2005 season was marred by a DUI arrest in October, and then a sprained knee sidelined him for the final seven games of the year, which ended with him on the injured reserve list.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

This guy might be a good acquisition... Any thoughts??

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Would Haslett want to bring this guy into the fold??

The Rams seem to have addressed the MLB position with Witherspoon (though it remains to be seen if he works out), and we have both Trev Faulk and McGarigle behind him. He would be a good acquisition if we didn't already have the depth there, IMO.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

We are probably going to talk to this guy since he was on the same team as Haslett. If we do Sign him He probably battle trev faulk for the starting job at MLB and Witherspoon could go back to his natural position. and Pisa goes to SLB

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The Rams seem to have addressed the MLB position with Witherspoon (though it remains to be seen if he works out), and we have both Trev Faulk and McGarigle behind him. He would be a good acquisition if we didn't already have the depth there, IMO.
    IMO he is big enough to play the SLB position. He is 6 - 1 246 Lbs. Witherspoon is about 235 and also is Pisa is too. I tehinnk if we packaged maybe T. Faulk and J. Lloyd or something for him.
    RamsFan16

Jeremy Lloyd was signed by Patriots like a week ago and then released him, so Jeremy Lloyd is a Free Agent

If we did trade for him i think it would be Trev Faulk and a 6th round pick for Watson

Oh darn, I thought we still had him. But maybe T. Fisher for him
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    IMO he is big enough to play the SLB position. He is 6 - 1 246 Lbs. Witherspoon is about 235 and also is Pisa is too. I tehinnk if we packaged maybe T. Faulk and J. Lloyd or something for him.
    Lloyd isn't on the roster. Also, after free agency and the draft, the Rams seem content with either Chillar or Smith at SLB and with Witherspoon at MLB. Furthermore, I don't think he has the kind of speed you like from your outside linebackers. It seems Haslett has made a point to emphasize speed on this defense, so if we acquired Watson, I don't see him playing outside despite his size. And he's definitely not going to start over Witherspoon. So we're essentially talking about a back-up, which we already have and don't need to trade for.

The speed?

Courtney Watson
    AGILITY TESTS
    4.56 in the 40-yard dash … Bench presses 225 pounds 22 times … 365-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 1.7 10-yard dash … 2.7 20-yard dash … 4.37 20-yard shuttle … 11.96 60-yard shuttle … 7.40 three-cone drill … 38-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-4 broad jump … 31-inch arm length … 9-inch hands … Right-handed … Wears contacts.

Brandon Chillar
    AGILITY TESTS
    4.71 in the 40-yard dash … 29-inch vertical jump … 33-inch arm length … 9-inch hands … Right-handed.

Raonall Smith
    AGILITY TESTS
    4.53 in the 40-yard dash … 2.62 in the 20-yard dash … 1.57 in the 10-yard dash … 4.11 in the 20-yard shuttle … 7.1 in the three-cone drill … 42-inch vertical jump … 10 feet, 5 inches in the broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 26 times … 380-pound bench press … 285-pound power clean … 550-pound squat … 31 -inch arm length … 9 -inch hands.

Yes, I know that R. Smith did better at the combine but check out the stats:

Raonall Smith
    nfl.com/players/playerpage/302226

Courtney Watson
    nfl.com/players/playerpage/493108

Smith has played more games, he may have the tools but so does Watson, Smith has injury problems, Watson does not. I'd rather see us go after Courtney Watson.

Also Watson doesn't have as big of contract as you think.
    Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position
    2004 Saints $ 230,000 $ 1,052,000 $ 0 $ 1,282,000 $ 440,400 LB

Just my 5 cents.
    RamsFan16

Good Researching RF16.... you do all that to prove it to someone.... GOOD JOB!! :up:

Wears contacts
    I wear contacts too!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That is interesting, RF16. He appears worthy of consideration. I would be a little surprised if we pulled the trigger on the deal given how little priority the coaches have put on that position so far. I think they see something in Chillar.

If we trade for Watson, Dexter Coakley gets cut, this is how i think the LB set will be:

Starters:
    WLB Witherspoon, MLB Watson, SLB Tinoisamoa

Back-ups:
    WLB Alston, MLB McGargie, SLB Chillar and Smith Battle for back up spot

OR

Starters:
    WLB Tinoisamoa, MLB Witherspoon, SLB Watson

Back-ups:
    WLB Alston, MLB McGargie, SLB Chillar and Smith Battle for back up spot

IF we traded for him then the Starts would probrably look like:

WLB Tinoisamoa, MLB Witherspoon, SLB Watson

Which is very young, all I think 25, future of the D, dang!
    RamsFan16

Your right they all are young!
    Look at our DB's, Brown, Hill, Butler, fisher, Groce, Atogwe, Bartell are all in their Mid 20's except for Corey Chavous
    then our D-line, only Glover and Little are over 30's

I never noticed until now that more than half our defence is young

T. W. Franklin is offline Registered User

Saint's acquired Tommy Polley, yeah he's really gonna be the missing piece of the puzzle. Not!

He's serviceable, but certainly not a difference maker as we Rams fans know.
    DeadHead Ram

The speed?
    Okay, so he has good straight line speed. But there's more to football than running in a straight line as fast as you can.

Look at his speed in regards to turning and moving, measured by his short shuttle and three cone times. Neither of those times are good - a 4.37 short shuttle is rather poor, and a 7.4 three cone isn't much better.

Not only did Smith best him in all of those fields, but also put up better strength numbers as well.

Also Watson doesn't have as big of contract as you think.
    I don't recall saying anything about Watson's contract...?