Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    It would never happen, but...

    Wouldn't it be great if the Rams could hire someone to scout out the QB prospects and make a recommendation as to which one(s) is/are worthy of a high first round pick? Someone who, say... has previous ties to the team. Someone who is currently not working for any team... Someone who, though flawed in other areas, has always had a great eye for talent at the QB position?





    Someone like....



    This guy?


    It will never happen, but... I'm just sayin'.....


  2. #2
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    I would love that!

    He definitely had an eye for QBs - both for scouting them and for developing them once they were on the team (sadly you could say he also had a tendency to destroy them after a while with slow-developing pass plays and an offensive line unable to protect them).

  3. #3
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,919
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if the Rams could hire someone to scout out the QB prospects and make a recommendation as to which one(s) is/are worthy of a high first round pick? Someone who, say... has previous ties to the team. Someone who is currently not working for any team... Someone who, though flawed in other areas, has always had a great eye for talent at the QB position?
    Well .. not a bad idea providing he'd agree to a lie detector test to determine or not whether he's still pissed off at the Rams ..

  4. #4
    3STL9's Avatar
    3STL9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    As long as he is not OC or HC. I would not mind him being the QB coach

  5. #5
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    I think this is one of those cases were the legend isn't based on many facts. Martz was OC when Green went down and Warner stepped in but he was with the Redskins the year before when Kurt was signed with the Rams.

    I will give him credit for signing Bulger to their practice squad and then bringing him on but... he did pass on him in the draft.

    Here is a list of quarterbacks that teams with Martz have drafted since he has worked in the NFL...


    2007 - Drew Stanton

    2005 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

    2004 - Jeff Smoker

    2002 - Steve Bellisari

    1996 - Tony Banks

    1992 - Ricky Jones and TJ Rubley


    Here is a list of quarterbacks Martz teams have passed on in the same time...

    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Jay Cutler
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Schaub
    David Garrard
    Daunte Culpepper
    Mark Brunell

    I've probably missed a few but I think the list is pretty complete.

    Don't get me wrong I like Martz but to me he is either my Head Coach or he is not on my team.

  6. #6
    RAMarkable is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I think this is one of those cases were the legend isn't based on many facts. Martz was OC when Green went down and Warner stepped in but he was with the Redskins the year before when Kurt was signed with the Rams.

    I will give him credit for signing Bulger to their practice squad and then bringing him on but... he did pass on him in the draft.

    Here is a list of quarterbacks that teams with Martz have drafted since he has worked in the NFL...


    2007 - Drew Stanton

    2005 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

    2004 - Jeff Smoker

    2002 - Steve Bellisari

    1996 - Tony Banks

    1992 - Ricky Jones and TJ Rubley


    Here is a list of quarterbacks Martz teams have passed on in the same time...

    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Jay Cutler
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Schaub
    David Garrard
    Daunte Culpepper
    Mark Brunell

    I've probably missed a few but I think the list is pretty complete.

    Don't get me wrong I like Martz but to me he is either my Head Coach or he is not on my team.

    Heh! And let's not forget last year's snafu when he called J.T. O'Sullivan one of the best he had ever coached and then proceeded to watch him ruin the Whiner season almost single-handedly.

    It wasn't until Singletary dumped O'Sullivan in favor of Shaun Hill did they start winning any games. Now O'Sullivan is on some one's practice squad somewhere.

    Folks there is a reason Martz is no longer in this league in any capacity at all. Shoot, even Scoot Linesham is still in this league.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  7. #7
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I think this is one of those cases were the legend isn't based on many facts. Martz was OC when Green went down and Warner stepped in but he was with the Redskins the year before when Kurt was signed with the Rams.
    Yes, and he was the QB coach for the Redskins who developed Trent Green.

    Here is a list of quarterbacks that teams with Martz have drafted since he has worked in the NFL...


    2007 - Drew Stanton

    2005 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

    2004 - Jeff Smoker

    2002 - Steve Bellisari

    1996 - Tony Banks

    1992 - Ricky Jones and TJ Rubley
    First of all, most of those guys were during the time he was a QB coach. While he had the opportunity to develop some of them, I doubt he was the primary reason they were drafted.

    More importantly, what this list shows is that Martz rarely had the opportunity to work with QBs who were early draft choices, and none of these players was taken in the first round.

    I'd be interested in knowing which QB prospect he sees as the top guy out there.

    Another guy who has ties to the Rams who I think ha a great eye for QBs is Ron Jawarski.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    I didn't mean to imply he had a lot of influence on any of those drafts.

    I just meant that except for Bulger I couldn't really find anything to prove he could recognize good quarterback talent.

  9. #9
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Actually, I recall him commenting before his was drafted the he thought Ben Roethlisberger would be a star in the NFL. Not everyone shared that view of Big Ben at the time, given that he was coming from a small school program.

  10. #10
    RamsFanThruItAll!!! is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    The Rams don't need to be worrying about a QB for their first round pick. We need a receiver plain and simple. Bulger has proven he is a pro bowl QB when he has a good recieving core. The rams receiving core is probably the worst in the league. No rookie qb is going to come in a make this team any better without receivers. Everyone seems to think that if we just pick an outstanding QB in college that they will perform just as well in the NFL and skyrocket the Rams to the playoffs. Not going to happen. We need to worry about recievers and defense in the draft first.

    GO RAMS!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,664
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    More importantly, what this list shows is that Martz rarely had the opportunity to work with QBs who were early draft choices, and none of these players was taken in the first round.
    Which is why I personally would be hesitant to follow his recommendation without a lot of input from others, since his track record isn't exactly one of successfully (or to be fair unsuccessfully) identifying the best prospect out of a bunch of blue chip players. It just doesn't seem like an area he has much experience with, so I'd probably have to take his recommendation with a grain of salt. But hopefully we'll get a chance to hear his input about this upcoming class on NFL Network, if he's still an analyst there.

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    It strikes me that Martz was particularly good at getting a lot out of quarterbacks who bought into his coaching. Even Jon Kitna could put up pretty impressive stats with Martz as his coach, but it wasn't exactly like Martz discovered him or anything.

  13. #13
    BIG-BLUE's Avatar
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville,CA USA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    I do believe this is why teams have scouting dept..
    Let Martz just fade away, far far away.

  14. #14
    theodus69's Avatar
    theodus69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    so.cal.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,202
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    I do believe this is why teams have scouting dept..
    Let Martz just fade away, far far away.
    And I feel the same . Sorry AV. You should have deleted your own post.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

  15. #15
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,752
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: It would never happen, but...

    Wasnt he responsible for drafting Joe Germaine in the 4th round of the 1999 draft?

    Granted, Joe did get a Superbowl ring as a rookie backup, but was cut the next season and out the league after 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. whats happen with r.manning.jr?
    By quebecramsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
  2. what i believe will happen.
    By PHAT-MONEY in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -11-24-2007, 03:01 PM
  3. Which of the following will happen first?
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
  4. Agent: Warner's release will happen today
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-01-2004, 02:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •