throwback week

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By bruce4life
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 3 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By Jockelite
  • 1 Post By ljcrayton

Thread: Would RG III be getting as much love from the media...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Would RG III be getting as much love from the media...

If the rams selected him number 2 overall in last seasons draft. The media loves the east coast bias and RGIII was a media darling before the draft anyhow. What is everyones thoughts on this?

I would say most critics would not ve praising RGIII as much point blank if he was in St. Louis .
    mh-i likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would RG III be getting as much love from the media...

I'm going to get a bit controversial here, so I ask that you read this carefully before responding (and note that the stereotypes I refer to do not reflect my mindset but, rather, reflect the public at large).

The truth is, RGIII is exactly what the media has been looking for: an African-American QB who transcends stereotypes.

He's not an athlete first/QB second player (i.e. Michael Vick).
    He displays maturity and team leadership, rather than a brash ego (i.e. Cam Newton).

He is a poised, mature, engaging and talented young QB who just happens to be African-American.

To the media, that equals a story they can sell.

So, would he get this publicity in St. Louis.

I think he'd get this publicity if he played in any city.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I don't think he would get the same amount of publicity in St. Louis simply because I don't think he would be putting up the same numbers on the Rams that he currently is on the Redskins. I think he went to the perfect coaching staff and system that utilizes his skills better than anyone else could. Being on a team with one of the biggest fan bases doesn't hurt his media coverage either.

He would probably still have the same Reebok and Subway endorsements if he was on the Rams for reasons Avenger already stated but he most likely wouldn't be taking the league by storm and having an all time great statistical season for a rookie QB. He has certainly earned the amount of media attention he has received because he is having a special season and is the center piece in turning around a once popular and respected franchise.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If we took him with the hire of Jeff Fisher, I would think he would get plenty of attention and so would the Rams. The NFL pushes all the rookies they can. They need to sell the fans on new players every year. Next year there will be someone else. Cam was it last year and even Sam was it when he was the first pick.

The last drive to win the game by the Rams did not get any play on ESPN or the NFLN. If that was Luck or RG3... they would have shown those catches and the TD pass on a loop.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There are certain players in all sports to whom the media give or have given a ridiculous amount of daily coverage, justified or not. Tebow, Favre, Lance Armstrong, Ray Lewis and Andrew Luck all come to mind. I don't care for this practice, and it is the reason more than a few people are turned off to guys they'd otherwise like; they're simply sick to death of hearing about them.

RG III is this same type of player. His career at Baylor, his position in the draft (aided by Washington, who paid a king's ransom to move up) and the fact that he's an African-American player who is not a run-first passer all figure in the over-saturation of coverage given to him. He's well-spoken and appears to be a genuinely good guy. And he's played well this year. He will continue to be covered 24-7, like it or not. And this would still be true if he were a Ram- no doubt about it.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I think he still would be getting the same media coverage. He was getting the same coverage even before he was drafted so I don't see why it would be different. The man has a personality that the media loves.

Having said all this, I truthfully don't care because I would much rather have Sam/Janoris/Brock and two ones coming our way over RG3, no matter how good of a year the young man is having.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

I do believe he would be getting similar media coverage as he would with any team. I'm just happy he didn't go to the Cowboys. Man I would throw my TV out the window.
    majorram likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think he would be covered, but I think the Shannahans set RG up for maximum success as quickly as possible by designing the offense around his current abilities. If he were a Ram, would Fisher have run a college offense for him? I think his success fuels the fire. Had he not been as successful on-field, the attention would have been much less. Face it folks- RGIII was setup for success and he rose to the occasion. Despite my initial bias in ignoring hype, RGIII is all he was hyped to be and more.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

You guys are acting like the media hates St. Louis. When I last checked, in Bradfords rookie year, the media couldn't get enough of him. Bradford is the reason we play games in other time slots other than the first sunday game. Steven Jackson is in commercials like crazy right now as well. Let's not forget that Animal from the Legion of Doom son is playing for the team. We may not be the top storyline anymore, but when we actually do things, we get it.

Name another team nickname that is more notorious than "The Greatest Show on Turf."

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Oh not to mention you see Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk every week...who says we don't get publicity.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Sunday the Fox and CBS halftime and post game coverages didn't show ANY Rams highlights. The most exciting ending to a game Sunday and all they had time for was the score? Unless he made the Rams a first place team I think RG3 and the Rams would be getting the same cold shoulder Bradford and the Rams are getting now.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

All I can say is thank God the Rams didn't pick him! I like the guy but I don't see him as having a long career in the NFL and count him a bust unless he learns to spare himself the hits he is taking. One need look at M. Vick to see what happens to QBs that rely on their legs--or C. Stewart, or R. Cunningham. Further the Eagles are looking possibly at getting rid of Vick!

The Rams will never get that much love from the media--too small a market. Besides I like being part of the few...let the mindless cheer for the Cowgirls or Steelers or even Packers. After GSOT the wanta-be-Ram-fans quickly faded away while the majority of us have been for the Rams in the Good, the bad and the horrid times--THATS LOYALTY!