AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Would we have been better off... (a ClanRam flashback!)

In another thread, general counsel posed the question (implicitly to me and other SLOP members): "who did you want as head coach when Linehan was hired?"

Well, I went back and found my own post from January 4, 2006. Here is who I wanted and did not want:

Top 5

1. Jim Johnson
    (Defensive Coordinator, Philadelphia)
    I think Johnson is overdue for a head coaching gig. He's always managed to make the most of his personnel and is a master of zone blitzing schemes. The Rams would be a great fit for him, as the offense is off-the-shelf ready, and he could concentrate on building the type of defense that kept the Eagles in the hunt over the past several years.

2. Ron Rivera (Defensive Coordinator, Chicago)
    Only a hair under Johnson as my top choice. He has played under Buddy Ryan, and has been an understudy to Jim Johnson and Lovie Smith. I also like the idea of a young coach who can have a long tenure with the team.

3. Jerry Gray (Defensive Coordinator, Buffalo)
    Seems like he has cooled as a prospect, but he's still high on my list. Despite this season's failings, he has done a good job with the Bills defense. He's also very personable and has a great history with the Rams.

4. Tim Lewis (Defensive Coordinator, N.Y. Giants)
    Another long-time DC at Pittsburgh and New York who is due for a Head Coaching job. Has done a good job developing pass rushers, which the Rams could really use.

5. Art Shell (Former HC, L.A. Raiders)
    I, like many others, can't figure out why Shell has never been given a second chance to coach. His record with the Raiders, though flawed, was admirable. I'd welcome his return with the Rams.

Other acceptable candidates: Jim Schwartz (DC, Tennessee), Mike Zimmer (DC, Dallas).

Bottom 5

1. Mike Tice (Former HC, Minnesota)
    He's the one guy out there who, if hired, would test my ability to remain a Ram fan. I just can't stand the guy. He is classless (ticket scalping, reaction to boat trip), clueless (blowing 2004 season on ill-advised WR pass), and just not a very good coach.

2. Norv Turner (Former HC, Oakland)
    He's a modern day Rich Kotite. He keeps getting high level jobs, leaving most of us asking "why?"

3. Jim Haslett (Former HC, New Orleans)
    I just don't go for the whole "I'm a tough guy" routine. Plus, one could argue that he had done extremely poorly with some decent talent in New Orleans.

4. Herman Edwards (HC, N.Y. Jets)
    Not sure he really is a candidate, though some have mentioned him. Not a bad coach, but certainly not worth giving draft choices to the Jets.

5. Any Offensive Coordinator
    I just don't think the Rams should hire an offensive guy as the Head Coach. With Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Curtis, McDonald, Pace and Barron, the offense will be able to move the ball and score points. Defense needs to be the primary focus.
    In hindsight, I still think we would have been better off with a "defensive minded" head coach. I was, at the time, more in favor of elevating a coordinator to the HC level than I am today, though that is, in part, due to the experienced HCs that were available at the time (i.e. there was no B.Cowher or, potentially, J.Fox looking for work).

Other interesting notes:
    • Wasn't a big Haslett fan then, and I still am not a big Haslett fan (though I am more impressed with him than I am with Linehan).
    • I was dead on with Norv Turner.
    • What the Hell was I thinking with Art Shell?
    So, there you have it.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Would we have been better off... (a ClanRam flashback!)

Excellent points... as always AV proves his worth around the ClanRAM.... FIRE LINEHAN, get us the D guy and a good OC!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quick question for you, Av. You mention here and I believe in other posts, that you beleive that John Fox may be out in Carolina. What is the basis for this assertion? Granted it's been a tough year in Pantherland, what with the injury to Delhomme and all; but I wouldn't think this would be sufficient reasoning to fire the HC. Having said that, I would love for the Rams to get a guy like Fox if/when the time comes.

WHAT SAY YE?

FreeFaulk is offline Registered User

I am still game for Ron Rivera

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Quick question for you, Av. You mention here and I believe in other posts, that you beleive that John Fox may be out in Carolina. What is the basis for this assertion? Granted it's been a tough year in Pantherland, what with the injury to Delhomme and all; but I wouldn't think this would be sufficient reasoning to fire the HC. Having said that, I would love for the Rams to get a guy like Fox if/when the time comes.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I have read a few blurbs in the news about the possibility of Fox being let go. I think its more of a situation where upper management is itching for a change, for better or for worse.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't know if we would have been better off, but I was really intrigued with Ron Rivera. I suppose his star is no longer ascending now that he is an "inside linebacker coach for the chargers ...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

*****RUMOR*******

NFL TALK/ Satellite Radio

There has been a lot of discussion about the future of Mike Martz in Lion land. ***Rumor*** has it that he maybe let go at the end of this season. There's the top notch OC we are looking for.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    *****RUMOR*******

NFL TALK/ Satellite Radio

There has been a lot of discussion about the future of Mike Martz in Lion land. ***Rumor*** has it that he maybe let go at the end of this season. There's the top notch OC we are looking for.
    Yes, and then John Shaw could promote Jim Haslett to head coach ... Wouldn't Mike and Jim be an interesting duo ???

Rambos is online now Registered User

AV I liked the idea of going with the offensive guy because we had so much talent on that side of the ball. Funny thing is our D is much improved and our O has been up and down. We all know why... but I'm not so sure we have hired an offensive HC. Have yet to see it.

I still would have like to seen the Rams FO sit Marz down and work out the front office issue. And hire a new DC.

If Linehan is let go we will be set back at least two more years. Bruce and Holt will at the end with Marc right behind them...