View Poll Results: Would You fire Pat Shumur?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 35.96%
  • No

57 64.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: Would You Fire Shurmur?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I pretty much agree here. I might take a look at replacing the O-line coach. I'd say replace Cromwell as the receivers coach except he's had very little to work with. You can't blame him for that.
    I agree with you on the O line coach, there's enough talent for the most part on that line that they should be performing better than they do. As far as Shurmur is concerned, as tough as it is to say I would give him another year or atleast part of the year to see if things open up any after the team upgrades the reciever corp.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I have been a big defender of both Spags and Shurmur, but much of the criticism directed towards them for the Seattle debacle is well deserved. They did not appear to have a good offensive game plan in place and lost to an inferior opponent, albeit on the road. No attempts were made to try and open things up, take some chances (as Seattle did) or get Steven Jackson more involved in the flow. What resulted was an embarrassing performance with everything on the line.

Many have stated that the coaches "played this game not to lose", and I think those critics make a fair point. I understand and support the decision to play games close to the vest with the current limited talent the Rams have, but as the talent base improves, so must the playcalling. Time will tell.

Calls to fire Shurmur are premature. There is a lot to be said for stability and continuity within a system. We must remember where we were a year ago. Year three of a rebuilding process- next season- will (and should) be scrutinized heavily, We will be able to make some definitive choices as to whether or not Spags and Shurmur are the duo that can take us to the next level, especially given a tougher 2011 schedule.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I can't stand how Shurmur called plays at times this year. I can't stand the fact that we have a 6'5" wr yet we never threw a corner fade in the redzone to him. I hate the fact that S-Jax was sometimes forgotten in games. I hate the fact that even with it all on the line he still didnt just throw caution to the wind and try to be more agressive in Seattle.

With all of that said as much as i would love to see him go as said in a couple other posts no you can't fire him. The last thing Sam Bradford needs is a new system in his second year at qb. It would be like him being a rookie again. I also think that some of Shurmurs problems could have been lack of weapons and some could be that maybe the o-line just isnt very good. The o-line didnt run block very well for S-Jax and in games where the Rams had to pass and the defense knew it the o-line broke down as well.

There is a glaring need at several positions on this team still and we all know that wr,ofensive guard and back up running back are three of them. Taking S-Jax off the field in favor of Darby is like taking out Peyton Mannin for whoever his back-up is. Darby just isnt a thret at all. A blind squirrell finds a nut every now and again but Id rather have the Beast on the field on third down to help bail out Bradford. If hes tired thats one thing but to sub him for a guy that might not make half the rosters in the NFL is another.

Now to the clutter of wr's on this team. The question is what should we do with all of them. Who should stay and who should go. If Julio Jones is there do we pick him? Well his size is nice but is he going to be a worthy go to number one game breaking wr? In my opinion no he isnt. He had 11 td's in 3 years. He never gained over a thousand yards recieving in his career. Was this the system he was in or is he not the Larry Fitzgerald we need. Fitzgerald amassed 500 more yds and 23 more td's in 26 games then what Jones has done in 34. Maybe that's not fair to Jones but we dont need another average wr. So who do we keep. Clayton was having a nice year and seemed to be a security blanket for Bradford before getting hurt. Amendola stays in the slot in my and im sure everyones opinion he has earned it. Alexander,Robinson,Gibson and Avery what to do with these guys. Alexander looks like he could develop into a nice 3rd or 4th wr maybe even a number two if he can stay healthy. In my opinion Robinson and Gibson have hit their ceiling I don't see much in either of these guys as far as becoming play makers. Now on to everyones favorite pick, Donnie Avery. He showed some flashes but seems to fade away at times. I just dont see this guys as a one or a two and we have our slot guy which is probably the best fit for him as well. Can he beat out Amendola? After coming off of major surgury, I dont think he can and expect to see him not make this team unless its as our 4th or 5th wr. We can't do whole sale change to the wr position just because there might not be enough out there to go and get to make these changes. However I would not mind seeing an open competition for every wr spot we have. The only lock is Amendola everyone else's job is up for grabs.

What this team needs is obivous but as much as I can't stand Shurmur stunting the growth of Bradford at this point is pointless.
    Just Fix It

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Not sure I'd fire him, but the offensive gameplan would surely take a 360 degree turn.
    Thinking that maybe a 180º turn might work better.

Coaches don't catch, or drop the passes. Coaches don't get separation on the passing routes. They don't run block or pass protect. What they do is devise the offensive and defensive gameplan for a particular opponent. This was a glaring deficiency on several occasions this year, particularly in the Seattle game. If the team is to move forward, the players need to get much better at their tasks and the coaching staff needs to lose the 'recreational football' mentality - or be replaced.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

fire sounds so ugly how about we lay him off

btw i think he will stay regardless of my opinion
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The loss to Seattle was extremely disappointing. Not only did our players not execute well, we appeared to be outcoached as well. That said, my understanding of the coaching pecking order is that the guy at the top (Spags) sets the game plan. Unless we are privy to the complete dialogue between Pat and Spags before and during a game, it seems unfair to heap all our offensive woes on Shurmur.

Clearly we still have some holes to fill on our roster particularly on offense. Our TEs are inconsistent, and arguably our best one, (Hoomanawanui) can't stay on the field long enough. There have been several threads devoted to our rbs, and opinion is divided here at the Clan on whether Darby should stay. I am of the opinion that both Darby and Toston could and should be replaced. Not because I think they stink, rather that at this point they don't have much if any upside. Yes, Darby is solid on special teams, and can pick up the blitz fairly well, but that isn't enough IMO. We need some SPEED at rb. Think Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, Maurice Jones-Drew - these guys add a dimension to their teams we don't have. They are playmakers! I believe we'll acquire one either through the draft or FA. Preferably the draft - think really fresh legs!

I think we all agree that our wr position needs upgrading. Yes Avery was looking improved, can stretch the field,and he'll get his chance next year, but can he stay healthy? Clayton was doing well until his injury, but the rest of the group are journeyman types - with the possible exception of DX. However with 5 surgeries on the same knee, there are some question marks as to how much and how long he'll be able to contribute. At #14 in the 2011 draft, we might have a shot at Julio Jones and I fervently hope we get him. We also need a significant upgrade at right guard. If we can get one between rds 3 and 5, fine. However, if Billy decides to draft one higher, or better yet - grab a proven guy in FA, wonderful!!

Key drops by Alexander, and a TE (was it Fells or Bajema?), coupled with some bad calls and non calls, along with a non-challenge by Spags on a sideline catch that could have kept a drive going are not issues that Shurmur should be blamed for. As Av so aptly put it: "Even the greatest chef in the world can't make filet mignon out of spam. Does he need to do a better job of opening things up? Yes. But don't underestimate the value of continuity, particularly for a young QB."
    Last edited by MauiRam; -01-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I believe in having continuity for this situation. Its a process for everyone, so lets not be too hasty. The shackles must come off next year with regards to Sam Bradford, especially in must win games. Can Shurmur be heard, or is all this conservative style down to Spags. We will see??

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Honestly i think Shurmur did a pretty good job this year. I mean Bradford played mistake free at times and showed his potential. Also Shurmur is laying down the blueprint for the WCO.

Lets look at Donavan McNabb's numbers:

1999: 4.9 yards/att 8TD 7INT 60.1 passer rating
    2000: 5.9 yards/att 21TD 13INT 77.8 passer rating
    2001: 6.6 yards/att 25TD 12 INT 84.3 passer rating

2004: 8.3 yards/att 31TD 8INt 104.7 passer rating (WIth Terrel Owens)

Now Bradford's stats:

2010: 5.95 yards/att 18TD 15INT 76.5 passer rating

Similar numbers to Mcnabb's 2nd season. We jus need to give Bradford that receiver and who knows shurmur can gameplan like the eagles did.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted no to firing PS because as many have already posted, you need more weapons on offense and you cannot stunt Sam Bradford's growth with a new OC. Once we have a better WR corps, a change of pace RB and better O-Linemen who can drive block for SJ. We were all so concerned about pass protection for Sam (which is fine) that we forgot to have linemen who can punch holes in the opponent's defense for the running game.

My instincts tell me the Rams will go for a proven WR in FA (hopefully Sidney Rice) and use the draft to strengthen the defense with a OLB and DE. Spags is a defensive coach who use the defense to build off and let the offense grow with solid players, not flashy ones. I see him molding the team like the Giants or Patriots not like our old GSOT days.

Go Rams!

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Voted no.

I have concerns but think that we really need to upgrade our Wideouts and interior linemen before we start making any changes.

At this stage, continuity is the best thing for Bradford and his development in my humble and profoundly armchair opinion and retaining Shurmur provides that.

I'm also not entirely sure if the conservative nature of what we've seen this season is down to Shurmur and Shurmur alone.

Give him another season with more weapons to deploy.
    Again Im no fan of our O coordinator, and yes I do think he should be released.

From little I saw of the Seahawks due to work, what I did see is that after the Hawks went up 16-6 with 1min xxx to go, and the Rams got the ball back..........

All I saw were the SAME SHORT dinks and outs to our receivers when we needed 2 scores to tie or win.

Now granted we do not have the marquee receiver we all covet, but I can guarantee us this, our receivers Im sure all can run at 4.5- 4.6 40 times, and some faster than that. You have to AT LEAST TRY..... TRY to get the ball deep no matter how under confident you are in out receiving corps.

Many QBs rookie, mid year, elderly veteran can be made to look good by throwing the majority of your passes 6 yards or less.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Voted no.

I have concerns but think that we really need to upgrade our Wideouts and interior linemen before we start making any changes.

At this stage, continuity is the best thing for Bradford and his development in my humble and profoundly armchair opinion and retaining Shurmur provides that.

I'm also not entirely sure if the conservative nature of what we've seen this season is down to Shurmur and Shurmur alone.

Well said. I've been critical of Shurmur at times this year, but I think it would be a mistake to simply fire him. He has done a good job with Bradford's development, and at times this season has helped the offense unit achieve success.

That being said, I would make it clear to him (and Spags as well) that we need to see some changes in the conservative nature of the offense as well as growth and improvement in gameplanning for the opposition, especially since the talent they'll have to work with will likely be improved.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Wherever or whoever the playcalling was coming, at times it looked as if defenses couldnt find an answer to stop them, other times the offense looked as if it didnt know which way to go, rythem-less and often forcing something that wasnt there. I wouldnt fire Shurmer but its clear something, not just going out and drafting or finding talent, has to be done to maximize the personnel's abilities and not look as flat when the defense is going toe-to-toe with the playcalling.
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -01-04-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    Thinking that maybe a 180º turn might work better.

Coaches don't catch, or drop the passes. Coaches don't get separation on the passing routes. They don't run block or pass protect. What they do is devise the offensive and defensive gameplan for a particular opponent. This was a glaring deficiency on several occasions this year, particularly in the Seattle game. If the team is to move forward, the players need to get much better at their tasks and the coaching staff needs to lose the 'recreational football' mentality - or be replaced.
    Yeah you're right, a 360 would lead us right back where we started huh? My bad.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Looks like the intelligent fans have it on this one.

Too bad they don't post more to drown out that nasty sound coming from the 30% minority.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Voted no.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast