Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Would you give up our 1st for Jenkins if…

They gave us their second?

We would have our DT and two second round picks too find a DE and LB.

They would have two first round picks. They could get Willis and a TE.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Would you give up our 1st for Jenkins if…

I'd do that. We get our DT, can still draft a decent DE and S.....why not?

Good one Rambos

Drew is offline Registered User

its a better trade than the one re trading klop or pisa,id hope for getting jenkins and keeping our 1st but i wouldnt cry over this deal!

keith m. klink Guest

no , i would move down , trade or swap positions , but not give up a new young talent for a 7 year veteran . even to have the 2 second rounders , would not do it . you could trade down into the round more , keep the first rounder , and ask a team that is heavy in that position to send us a dt that is capable of being a long term starter , while keeping picks. hell, if we trade down once or twice to the bottom of the round , we could pick up anywhere from 3-6 extra picks , and someone who needs them would give up a dt starter , i'm pretty sure.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Not a chance. You're talking about a complete one-round drop from pick 13 to pick 45. That gives Jenkins a value of a late first rounder, which is too high.

If you're going to do something like this, then give them our second rounder for their third rounder. That trade values Jenkins at a mid-third round level, which is much more appropriate.

That gives Jenkins a value of a late first rounder, which is too high.
    Based on what?

Offers?

Based on his age?

I'm not sure how the market value is set for a vet player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Based on what?
    Well for one, based on the reports that the highest offer they've got thus far is a third rounder.

But also you can look back at previous trades to try and determine player value (ie. John Abraham, Anthony McFarland, etc).

Well for one, based on the reports that the highest offer they've got thus far is a third rounder.
    Ok an offer is one thing a sell is another. Maket value for him really won't be set until a deal is done.

If they don't make a deal and the best offer was a 3rd, I would say that is too low.

I say no more than a second. I want him but I am not willing to give our 1st away.
    He would be are frist pick, a pro bowl proven DT. Followed by two second round picks. DE,LB or S

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Maket value for him really won't be set until a deal is done.
    It's a wonder any trades get done then, if there's no means of determining any kind of market value prior to the deal.

You might be able to make a case that Jenkins could be worth a late first or early second if he didn't have the baggage. But being out of shape, having a questionable attitude, and having two years worth of serious injury red flags means the value is going to be pushed down.

If they don't make the deal and the best offer was a third, then yes it would have been too low of an offer... for Carolina to accept. But if the best offer they get from multiple teams is a third and Carolina refuses to take it, then I think the more logical explanation was that the Panthers were holding out for above market value.

jim
    jim is offline Registered User

At this point in time doesn't it make more sense to wait for the draft? For example, Anderson and Branch could be there at 13. Now you see what Carolina wants. Or, you complete the entire draft and it works out that other players are there for the Rams and they can make a deal coming from a completely different angle than what it looks like now. Maybe conditional picks in next years draft end up being better for everyone.

I think the more logical explanation was that the Panthers were holding out for above market value
    There are other influences other then the player himself. Knowing the Panthers position strong or weak, cap of the Panthers and the players they need to sign next year including Peppers. The depth of the player they have at that position. Teams are taking this into account when they make offers today. Other player’s available in the draft that will change after the first 10 picks; his value may shoot up or down. When you summit an offer, it’s usually lower then you want too pay, the counter offer will be higher. Most negotiations meet somewhere in the middle.

At this point in time doesn't it make more sense to wait for the draft?
    For the Rams maybe, maybe not if the top DT are off the board within the top ten picks can hurt us big time. IMO

Krames41 is offline Registered User

Are you guys serious? I wouldn't trade my first round pick on a guy who has had 4 sacks (exact same as Jimmy Kennedy) and 40 tackles (26 less than Kennedy) in the past three years combined. Everyone is complaining about our defensive line now, and people are suggesting we trade a first round pick, the only way to get a true healthy impact player, for an equal to lesser player than we have now? I didn't even add in the assists (which Kennedy has him beat again). Now lets compare him to Glovers numbers in the past three years, 89 tackles (more than Jenkins), 15 sacks (more than Jenkins), and again Glover has him beat in the assists department. He is a downgrade to both of our defensive tackles. You can't tell me he would take up more blockers than either Kennedy or Glover if he has less sacks and tackles. The Rams need a player opposing defenses have to focus on stopping with double teams and such because if they don't that player will take over the game. If we aren't getting that player, why trade a draft pick? People are forgetting we can always trade our draft and someone to move up and be in the top ten.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

This last post is a prime example of someone not understanding what goes on up front on the defensive line. Jenkins is a HUGE upgrade to either Kennedy or Glover. Numbers mean very little when it comes to production from a DL. Jenkins would plug holes and consistently take on two offensive lineman/tight ends at once. He doesn't have to have 60 tackles and 8 sacks to be productive. If Jenkins had been on the line last year, I would venture to believe that Leonard might have had 3-5 more sacks than he did ...

Remember, the reason he might have less tackles or less sacks is because he is CONSTANTLY being double, even triple teamed ...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, some of us have underestimated Jenkins and some (maybe me included) have overestimated the DT. However, I read somewhere else a transcript of the Bernie M show on the radio when they were interviewing someone that covers the Panthers. Carolina really doesn't want to give up on Jenkins. They know that he has monster years ahead of him and if he gets traded that he will have one or two of those years very soon. Sometimes, a change of scenary motivates people and Softli drafted Jenkins. He believes in Jenkins and maybe that's all Jenkins needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast