Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Would you make this trade?

In the supplemental draft, there is one intriguing prospect, Ahmad Brooks.

Upside - he's a big (6'4, 249) LB who came into college as one of the most sought after recruits. His early career at UVa lead many to predict he'd be a future Top 10 pick. He has great athletic ability and could play the SLB or MLB positions.

Downside - he had some injury issues in college, followed my major disciplinary issues, including failed drug tests, ultimately leading to his dismissal from UVa's football program.

You can compare him to Claude Wroten in a sense, though he arguably has both greater upside and significantly bigger red flags.

So, here's my thought...

If the Rams could trade Travis Fisher for a draft 2007 draft choice that would be high enough to allow the Rams to select Brooks in the supplemental draft, resulting in what would essentially be a Fisher for Brooks trade, would you do it?

Now, I recognize that Fisher might not yield a high enough pick to get Brooks, though I suspect many teams will be scared off by his history.

If that deal could be done, I'd say do it in a heartbeat. What do you really have to lose. Fisher is probably gone - if not this year, then as a FA next year. If Brooks can get his act together, he's a major steal. If not, cut him.

Thoughts?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Would you make this trade?

That's like asking someone if they would like free pie and chips. Of course I'd like free pie and chips. It's pie....and chips....for free.

Fisher is in the doghouse at Rams Park. He really hasn't shown the work ethic like Butler has for getting back into shape. With Tye Hill and Ron Bartell lurking in the background, and the need for more talent at the LB position, you bet I make that trade.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -05-24-2006 at 11:27 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The analysis is interesting, but i dont want to trade for brooks if as i believe nick mentioned in a prior post, he is completely out of shape at this point. I would rather try and get the one year out of fisher. Keep in mind, fischer may be in the doghouse, but if corners get hurt in preseason or camp, ie butler last year, we may need him more than you think. Plus, the hair is hard to replace.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

denverram is offline Registered User

I agree with GC. Every team needs a hair guy. Since we got ride of Kyle Turdley (this was cheap but it fits) Fish is the hair guy.

On th serious side I am a big believer that you need to draft guys with character, brains, and who have won in college.

STAY AWAY FROM HEAD CASES AND DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS.

Denverram

Ram on nos is offline Registered User

If I could trade Travis Fisher for a draft pick that could get Ahmad Brooks I would do it in a flash. But I read in an nfl.com article he is predicted to be worth a first or second rounder so there is no way we could get anything like that for Fisher.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree nos. If the Rams are willing to take a chance on Wroten, they might as well with Brooks if he can be had for a player like Fisher who was a second rounder.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

So, I guess there are two camps developing...

One that wants free pie and chips, and one that thinks the pie and chips will cause heartburn!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I want Fish, with chips. Probably in the minority, but I think he's getting a bum rap. With Butler going down, he had to play, and was never fully recovered, and got no help from the D-line.

Plus, I'm moderately satisfied with our linebackers.

Quick - name a Pats linebacker not named Bruschi.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    That's like asking someone if they would like free pie and chips. Of course I'd like free pie and chips. It's pie....and chips....for free.
    There goes my monitor and keyboard, thanks tx. LOL

As for trading Fisher for a draft pick to be used on Brooks, I don't think so. One, I suspect some team will spend a first day draft pick in 2007 on Brooks because of the upside, assuming Ahmad gets back into some kind of football shape.

Not only would I not want to spend a future first day pick on him because of the red flags (a fourth is the highest I would drop at this point), but I don't think we could trade Fisher for a first day pick to use on Brooks.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'd do it in a heartbeat too! As I see it Fisher is done, he was horrible last year, minor injuries aside, I've never really been sold on him and with the current depth in the secondary I would be happy to get something for Fisher. I may very well be wrong, but I don't see Fisher playing much this year with the return of Butler and emergence of several young talents, that's just my prediction.

Whether taking guys like Wroten and Brooks (talent but character issues) is a good idea, is a tough question. I'll have to trust the coaching staff to get an individual impression of the guy and decide whether they think they can get him back on track or not. If the coaching staff didn't like what they saw in Brooks, trading Fisher for a draft pick and not using it on Brooks would be fine by me as well. What kind of pick do you think we could get out of Fisher? Maybe a 3rd is a stretch? 4th more likely or?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i would trade fisher for a double dozen at krispy kreme,so i guess that means my answer is yes.

Ram on nos is offline Registered User

Does anyone know anything about Jason Berryman, DE, Iowa State? Nfl.com says he could be a DE/OLB at nfl level and is probably on the same sort of plain as brooks.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Pie and chips but I want mushy peas and gravy too. If that's a little greedy I'll just take Brooks.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam
    I want Fish, with chips. Probably in the minority, but I think he's getting a bum rap. With Butler going down, he had to play, and was never fully recovered, and got no help from the D-line.

Plus, I'm moderately satisfied with our linebackers.

Quick - name a Pats linebacker not named Bruschi.
    Monty Beisel? Roosevelt Colvin? Tully Bunta-Cain? Mike Vrabel?

They were Pats linebackers at one point but im not sure if they are still there

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    Monty Beisel? Roosevelt Colvin? Tully Bunta-Cain? Mike Vrabel?

They were Pats linebackers at one point but im not sure if they are still there
    All of them still are. Nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast