Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country is offline Registered User

Re: Would you sign Tank Johnson

He is a major upgrade to the team, the Rams shoiuld bring him in on a short leash.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed, maybe someone can explain to me why he'd be such a huge upgrade over what we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    He is a major upgrade to the team
    Not exactly the in-depth explanation I was hoping for...
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Thanks but no thanks. We already have someone we have to explain away that drinks, drives, and killed. I don't care if the guy can slice through an offensive line like a hot knife through butter, his off field antics will eventually spill over on the field and into the locker room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We have....

Glover 36 tackles, 5.5 sacks.

How is this an upgrade?

Johnson, 24 tackles, 3.5 sacks
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Apparently, Tank's a keeper
    December 19, 2006
    BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

The Bears have a plan for dealing with Tank Johnson, and it doesn't involve releasing him. Eventually, they'll reveal what it is.

With a conclusion expected Monday in how the team would deal with the embattled defensive tackle, the story that won't go away instead grew legs. The Bears know what they want to do but are exploring the complex matter with the NFL as it pertains to the collective bargaining agreement and personal conduct policy.

At issue is whether the team can move forward with its plan without impeding on the league's jurisdiction for disciplinary issues. This much is evident: If the Bears were going to welcome Johnson back with open arms to play Sunday at Detroit, they wouldn't be in consultation with the league. Instead, they're looking at ways to sit him down the stretch, and they might have plans for him to participate in the postseason.

The great unknown left coach Lovie Smith to take questions from all angles during an afternoon news conference, with general manager Jerry Angelo nowhere in sight. Angelo's own words make one wonder how the Bears can retain Johnson, who was charged with six misdemeanor counts of illegal possession of weapons Thursday.

Johnson issued a public apology to the team the next day, then showed his contrition by partying 12 hours later at a downtown bar, where his longtime friend and self-proclaimed bodyguard was shot to death.

''We have been meeting internally all day regarding Tank Johnson,'' Angelo said in a statement released after 3 p.m. ''It is a complicated matter that involves many parties. We are currently pursuing a course of action and communicating with the league to reach a conclusion as quickly as possible.''

That means the Bears were not pouring all their resources into preparing for the Lions, scouting possible playoff opponents or analyzing draft prospects. Angelo said Friday that anyone who caused a distraction that took the team away from its ultimate goal would be dealt with ''severely.''

If Johnson returns, it will unquestionably be his final opportunity.

''I've been a coach a long time, and there are times when people disappoint you,'' Smith said. ''Have I been disappointed more than one time by a person? Yes. There comes a point where you draw the line and you say, no more. It comes to that eventually.''

Johnson has been arrested three times in the last 18 months and remains on probation for a previous weapons conviction. Foxsports.com reported that he tested positive for marijuana before the combine in 2004 -- when the Bears drafted him in the second round -- information that would've been available to the team.

Also arrested Thursday was Johnson's friend and housemate, Willie B. Posey, a felon who was charged with felony possession of marijuana. Posey was shot and killed when the two were at Ice Bar in the early-morning hours Saturday.

''[Johnson] made a bad decision as I see it on that day,'' Smith said. ''I asked him to do some things, to get some things done, and he was in the process of doing some of those things. Some of his decisions on how he was taking care of some of those things, we would like to have back.''

Smith acknowledged that the McCaskey family has the ultimate say on whether Johnson wears a Bears uniform.

''We'll take our time to make the right decision because we're dealing with somebody's life right now, his livelihood and things like that,'' Smith said.

Johnson was deactivated for the Bears' 34-31 overtime victory Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Soldier Field. The team has been doing what it can to help Johnson grieve the loss of his friend. He was at Halas Hall briefly Monday afternoon, leaving with some items as a passenger in a sport-utility vehicle.

Not only has Johnson repeatedly failed to get his weapons properly licensed, but he can't get a driver's license. According to the Secretary of State's office, Johnson's road record is so tainted, he doesn't have the privilege to operate a motor vehicle in Illinois until February 2008.

That means even if he had a license issued in another state, any time he gets behind the wheel in Illinois -- such as when he drove to training camp in July without license plates on his vehicle -- he's violating the law.

Teammates stood behind Johnson after the game Sunday, but no one is talking about the game or the approaching postseason.

''We would like to concentrate on football,'' Smith said. ''We're 12-2, we just secured home-field advantage, we won our division and look where most of the questions are coming from.''

It's a public-relations disaster for the organization all the way around. There's no way to defend the allegation by Gurnee police that some of Johnson's weapons were loaded and in plain view with two children at home.

''I don't have all that information right now,'' Smith said. ''I'm a dad. I'm interested in kids always being safe. I think Tank is the same way.''

The Bears have thought a lot about Johnson, and the sooner they can put this ugly episode behind them, the faster they'll be able to address such issues as how much starters will play in the last two regular-season games.

''We have some things in mind that we would like to do,'' Smith said of dealing with Johnson. ''But we have to go through the league with everything. I think we'll be able to come to a conclusion fairly quick.''
    Link

Let's put this one to rest.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Link

Let's put this one to rest.

Oh well, if its meant to be, its meant to be.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12