Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I've always said this and sometimes I get interesting looks but I do believe in it: just because a kid from a tough background signs a huge contract doesn't automatically make him a model citizen. Most of the time, atheletes stay the way they were raised. That's why MOST atheletes should not be role models. I whole heartedly agree with Charles Barkley. Pacman didn't come from the best of surroundings so I wouldn't necessarily expect him to change. I would expect him to grow but sometimes we never do
    Why would you get interesting looks for that? I'd venture to say most everyone would agree with that concept. Money doesn't refine character, it only enables & magnifies it.

In fact, you make a rather intriguing argument for passing on Jones altogether.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is online now Registered User

i would give up a 3rd rounder to get him. He has loads of talent just needs to stay out of trouble

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This guy has proven he can not stay out of trouble, even when he knows he's on the hot seat and being scutinized. He is a very troubled young man and is a guaranteed distraction. Didn't anybody learn anything from the Lawrence Phillips debacle? I want Pacman Jones as far away from the Rams as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    i would give up a 3rd rounder to get him. He has loads of talent just needs to stay out of trouble
    Call Nashville. I bet they'll take that trade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini Guest

Like avenger said, if he would play for a small cap and they would take a 5th round, in a heart beat.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Keep in mind that high risk also equals high reward. There were many people on this board who said that they wouldnt want TO or randy moss on their team under any circumstances, even at the cost of a 4th round pick. I didnt see anyone calling randy moss a cancer this year.

I have no expectations that pacman will stay out of trouble. I would say its 50-50 or better that he misbehaves again and gets kicked out of the league. So what? its a 5th round pick we are talking about guys. The liklihood of a 5th round pick being anything more than a backup or special teams guy is very low.

As for the cancer in the locker room, i just dont see it in this case. he wont get preferential treatment. If he misbahaves, we cut him and what did we lose? This would be a different argument if we were talking about paying a lot of money for him and then taking cap risk or using a high pick on him. Thats why i dont think lawrence phillips is the correct comparison. I agree i dont want a suspect character guy with a high pick, but i tell you all, i loved the wroten pick when we made it and no matter how it turns out, i wont second guess it. If we get a round 1 talent for a 5th round pick, i am happy to take that gamble. I would not trade a #3 for him however.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The liklihood of a 5th round pick being anything more than a backup or special teams guy is very low.
    That is exactly why I would pull the trigger. The guy has undisputed talent. I mean c'mon how did the 2006 3rd round work out for the Rams? 5th round pick is nothing, didn't the Rams trade that for Hall last year?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    That is exactly why I would pull the trigger. The guy has undisputed talent. I mean c'mon how did the 2006 3rd round work out for the Rams? 5th round pick is nothing, didn't the Rams trade that for Hall last year?
    I would rather keep the 5th rounder and try to find another player of Cliff Ryan's caliber than knowingly bring in a guy who is a PROVEN DISTRACTION !! I can see the headlines now: "Rams Advance to the Playoffs Without Pacman Jones Who Was Arrested Late Last Night for Assaulting a Stripper and Resisting Arrest in a St Louis Nightclub"

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    I didnt see anyone calling randy moss a cancer this year.
    Wins are the greatest chemotherapy. But since the Rule of Law appears to stop short of Foxborough, Moss doesn't really stand out all that much.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I say yes, for a 5th rounder id say yes. If he did do something and get in trouble again im sure hed get banned so i would hope hed stop going to the strip clubs.

ButterflyStyle Guest

I think this will be a non-issue. Jones will most likely not be in the NFL Players Union by the beginning of next season. He will probably end up as one of the highest paid players if the UFL ever kicks off. I'd say that he would end up in the AAFL, but I don't know if he graduated from college or not. If he did.....makes you wonder about our education system.

Big-Dave314 Guest

hell yeah i would just keep him away from the strip clubs

ButterflyStyle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I would rather keep the 5th rounder and try to find another player of Cliff Ryan's caliber than knowingly bring in a guy who is a PROVEN DISTRACTION !! I can see the headlines now: "Rams Advance to the Playoffs Without Pacman Jones Who Was Arrested Late Last Night for Assaulting a Stripper and Resisting Arrest in a St Louis Nightclub"
    Come on!! The Rams are great with troubled players......kinda. We pick em and don't they usually go and do something after that? So he is getting his stuff out of the way beforehand. Maybe that is what we need to do. Go after the players who already have been problems.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If I was willing to trade for him, I'd do it for a fifth no question. Of course that would be if I wanted him on the Rams, and that's the part I'm not sure about. It's not a matter of whether he might miss time because of suspension or whatever. It's just a matter of image and team chemistry and that kind of thing. The compensation isn't really the question for me so much as whether I'd make any trade for Pac-man.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd pull the strings, assuming he signs for low money. If he turns out to be a distraction, you cut him, no matter how talented he is.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-15-2008, 01:21 PM