Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 97
  1. #46
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Well, hate to bring this up...but what about Little? I mean, my father was killed by a drunk driver, but I still think Little deserves a chance. That's what America is all about. Chances. For those of you who don't want to give Pacman a chance, look at yourself in the mirror and if you see absolute perfection then judge him.


  2. #47
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,896
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    Bingo. He's looking to redeem himself and will come at a cheap price. All the "distraction in the locker room" crap (and this goes for most players who have that label IMO) is just a bunch of media hype. When it comes to attitude concerning matters of the team, your teammates and playing football, it can be distracting, but the players couldn't care less what each other does in his personal life, and it doesn't affect them when it comes to playing football.
    -jake-
    He's looking to redeem himself?? For what? Do you honestly think he is looking to improve his character? I have never perceived a glimmer of effort from him in this area. He's looking to get back into the league in order to receive those big paychecks. It's no doubt been difficult to maintain his "bling" while financing late night excursions to strip clubs without adequate funding.

    With regard to how his carrys himself in the locker room, that doesn't worry me. I can't recall ever having heard that he was a "cancer" More over he certainly is talented, I don't question that. But I do wonder what happens when a guy with "star power" makes a public display of screwing up his personal life with no remorse, and isn't disciplined equally with lesser players. Our FO and Linny have given lip service on numerous occasions about the importance of acquiring players possessing high character in addition to talent. So which is it to be? High character guys .. or anything goes character be damned?

    In this particular case, I can't buy the argument that players don't care a whit about what a guy does off the field. If Pac-man beats up a stripper, or any woman for that matter, and is subsequently arrested with the news plastered everywhere, I can't see how such behavior would purchase him respect in the locker room. The guy is a loose cannon period.

    Comparing Pac-man with Randy Moss is apples to oranges. Moss to be sure has displayed extreme immaturity on several occasions, but he has never been continually immersed in the kind of trouble Pac-man surrounds himself with. With Pac-man, you can never be sure he'll be available for a game given his predilection for activities that often land one in jails. There is also the matter of his impact on young impressionable players who will be arriving via the draft. I hope the Rams are not even tempted ...

  3. #48
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, hate to bring this up...but what about Little? I mean, my father was killed by a drunk driver, but I still think Little deserves a chance. That's what America is all about. Chances. For those of you who don't want to give Pacman a chance, look at yourself in the mirror and if you see absolute perfection then judge him.
    Well, that's all well and good, and if I have reason to believe the guy is really trying to turn his life around, then I don't have so much of a problem. People do deserve second chances. But has there been any evidence that Pacman has changed his behavior? Is he not still hitting the strip clubs with the same posse that has gotten him in trouble before?

  4. #49
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,896
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, that's all well and good, and if I have reason to believe the guy is really trying to turn his life around, then I don't have so much of a problem. People do deserve second chances. But has there been any evidence that Pacman has changed his behavior? Is he not still hitting the strip clubs with the same posse that has gotten him in trouble before?

    BINGO !!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, hate to bring this up...but what about Little? I mean, my father was killed by a drunk driver, but I still think Little deserves a chance. That's what America is all about. Chances. For those of you who don't want to give Pacman a chance, look at yourself in the mirror and if you see absolute perfection then judge him.



    Tx -- your point is well taken, but I just don't see any remorse from Pac-man at all - none. If someone really wants to turn over a new leaf, by all means I agree that it is a good thing to extend a hand and try to help one accomplish a turnaround. However, in Pac-man's particular case, the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" serves well ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-16-2008 at 05:20 PM.

  5. #50
    Yodude's Avatar
    Yodude is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    We are a 3-13 team, who hasn't had a winninng season in few years, and with talent currently on this team it doesn't look good presently for a winning season next year. If everyone here would rather have an average team but with character players fine. I don't define my life by the character of the Rams. I just want them to win. If it takes a bunch form a thug life video......so be it.
    What more needs to be said?

    As Tx stated...Jones has never had issues in the locker room. And If I recall, a few years back, we signed that piece of garbage Turley, as big a "cancer" that an NFL locker room ever saw...and we signed him for big money. Nobody batted an eye.

    For a 5th rounder I say hell yes!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

  6. #51
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    January 3, 2008- Pacman is accused of punching Wanda S. Jackson in the face at an Atlanta strip club called the Body Tap Strip Club. Jackson says Jones reached over the counter and sucker punched her in her left eye.
    6 weeks ago, another Strip Club, another accusation. This guy only knows one way, the wrong way. Just say no to Pacman Jones.

  7. #52
    viper's Avatar
    viper is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    6 weeks ago, another Strip Club, another accusation. This guy only knows one way, the wrong way. Just say no to Pacman Jones.
    That says it all to me. He isn't going to change. He's still doing the same things that got him in trouble in the first place. He is Goodell's poster boy of what not to be as an NFL player. No thanks.

  8. #53
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,588
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    6 weeks ago, another Strip Club, another accusation. This guy only knows one way, the wrong way. Just say no to Pacman Jones.
    She also withdrew the complaint, so was this just a case of someone trying to profit because she knew Pacman has a reputation.

    I understand everyone who is concerned because Pacman has made bad choices for a long time, but for a 5th round pick I'm willing to take the risk because of the talent he brings and because people can change.

    I'm not willing to give anything more than a 5th. If he blows it we didn't give up much if it's a 5th do you agree? If he comes in and plays like we know he can it was a steal. Sometimes you have to take big chances to improve, and we need improvement.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  9. #54
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    She also withdrew the complaint, so was this just a case of someone trying to profit because she knew Pacman has a reputation.
    That's true ramsbruce, but he was still in yet another strip club where he always seems to get into some kind of trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I understand everyone who is concerned because Pacman has made bad choices for a long time, but for a 5th round pick I'm willing to take the risk because of the talent he brings and because people can change.

    I'm not willing to give anything more than a 5th. If he blows it we didn't give up much if it's a 5th do you agree? If he comes in and plays like we know he can it was a steal. Sometimes you have to take big chances to improve, and we need improvement.
    There is no doubt Jones is a multi-talented football player, but I just see him as a lost cause who will only turn out to be an exercise in futility and wasted time. He's just not worth the effort IMO.

  10. #55
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,585
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    I understand and appreciate the idea of no character issues, period. I get it and respect it. However, the last time we spent a draft pick on a 1st round talent with character issues, it was a higher pick (3rd) and on a kid with NO NFL experience (Wroten). Three years later and we're still holding out hope for that one, but won't be shaken if he's cut.

    And folks, this is the SAME organization whose drafting abilities we blast like it's a hobby. If we have as little faith in the Rams ability to draft as we say........why be upset over a 5th round pick anyway?

    And maybe, the question itself is throwing us off. The idea of "5th rounder vs. PacMan" might give us the quasi-false impression of potential. Certainly Clifton Ryan has bolstered that idea. But what if the question were such.......

    .....would you trade Marques Hagan for PacMan?
    or Jerome Collins for PacMan?
    or Jason Shivers?
    or Kevin Garrett?
    or Dan Curley?
    or Shane Walton?

    That 5th round pick isn't the beacon of hope it was a minute ago, is it?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  11. #56
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The idea of "5th rounder vs. PacMan" might give us the quasi-false impression of potential. Certainly Clifton Ryan has bolstered that idea. But what if the question were such.......

    .....would you trade Marques Hagan for PacMan?
    or Jerome Collins for PacMan?
    or Jason Shivers?
    or Kevin Garrett?
    or Dan Curley?
    or Shane Walton?

    That 5th round pick isn't the beacon of hope it was a minute ago, is it?

    Purely for devil's advocate purposes, would you trade Clifton Ryan for PacMan?

  12. #57
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I wouldn't make the move if they threw IN a 5th round draft pick. No way I want this loser on my team. He's a proven idiot. He's had too many chances already, in my book.
    This is pretty much how I feel. It's not about a draft pick, it's about bringing a destructive indiviual to the team.

  13. #58
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,585
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Purely for devil's advocate purposes, would you trade Clifton Ryan for PacMan?
    Yes, well said. That's the kicker isn't it? Clifton Ryan has restored a tad bit of hope in the confidence of our draft warroom. So in this particular situation, is that hope a good thing or a bad thing?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #59
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,585
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel. It's not about a draft pick, it's about bringing a destructive indiviual to the team.
    Absolutely, my friend. But the question still stands......IS he destructive to the team? To the local strippers? Yes. To himself? Yes. But to the team? According to LenDale White and Vince Young, maybe not.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  15. #60
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: would you trade a #5 for pacman jones

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yes, well said. That's the kicker isn't it? Clifton Ryan has restored a tad bit of hope in the confidence of our draft warroom. So in this particular situation, is that hope a good thing or a bad thing?
    That's exactly it; what are the chances we'll hit a home run on another 5th round pick? and how often does it happen in general?

    Personally, I'd trade for PacMan unless there's a more viable option available on draft day. There's just so much talent there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -02-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Jones Making Pro Bowl Push
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -11-07-2007, 01:30 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
  3. Deacon Jones - 'Secretary Of Defense'
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
  4. Vermeil will help honor ex-Ram Jones
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-17-2006, 06:56 PM
  5. Pace, Jones among best left tackles in NFL
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-10-2004, 04:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •