general counsel is offline Registered User

would you trade shaun mcdonald for....

Falcons rb dj duckett? Falcons are shopping duckett. They really need a wide receiver. I believe both players are entering their free agent year.

On the plus side, i think we have a LOT more depth at wide receiver than we do at running back. I am highly suspect of our ability to sign mcdonald long term, unless we lose curtis to free agency and even then, someone might just pay him starters money.

On the downside, our chances of signing duckett longterm would be very low indeed, barring a major injury to steven jackson, which of course no one wants to see.

What do you guys think?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: would you trade shaun mcdonald for....

I would make that trade. However, doing so would raise the priority level of signing Curtis to a long term deal.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to agree with AV. I'd only pull the trigger if Curtis was on-board long-term.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Tough decision to make. How's Moe Williams health ? How do the players under McDonald on the depth chart look ? How much of a factor will McDonald actually be during the upcoming season ? Do the Rams have big plans for McDonald this season ? If, these questions are answered, questionable, good, moderate, not really, respectively. Than I would pull the trigger in a heart beat. I know real gambler aren't I ?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If I were the Falcons, I'd want more than Shaun McDonald.

From a Rams perspective, it makes sense if you have Curtis long term.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

the falcons certainly want more, but they arent getting any better offers according to the atlanta papers than a #4 pick and they have asked for a #2 and may take a #3, but they really want help now to play for this year and they are desparate for help at wide receiver and safety.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I'd give them Looker. But personally I think Fred Russell has more upside. If we need another back.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

With Isaac Bruce getting older and more injury prone by the minute, coupled with Kevin Curtis contract situation, leads me to believe that the Rams are in no position to trade McDonald unless it is for another WR.

If he were to be traded for a RB, I think we'd be better served trading for a back with breakaway speed. At present, we have none.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    With Isaac Bruce getting older and more injury prone by the minute, coupled with Kevin Curtis contract situation, leads me to believe that the Rams are in no position to trade McDonald unless it is for another WR.

If he were to be traded for a RB, I think we'd be better served trading for a back with breakaway speed. At present, we have none.
    Hence that's why I say we keep Fred Russell. Bruce has a couple more years left in him. You know they're going to give Curtis a 3 or 4 year deal, and probably give Mcdonald a two year extension.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

No. Right now we have possibly 4 Running backs on the team. Steven Jackson, Tony Fisher, Moe Williams and Fred Russell. We won't keep 5 Runningbacks so why trade McDonald for him?

I'd trade McDonald for a SLB Linebacker. Possibly Ike Reese? Or go younger and go for Demorrio Williams or Michael Boley.

But definately not for a Running back. If we trade him I'd go for either/or:

1. SLB
    2. OL (Depth)
    3. S (Depth)
    RamsFan16

Right now we have possibly 4 Running backs on the team. Steven Jackson, Tony Fisher, Moe Williams and Fred Russell. We won't keep 5 Runningbacks
    Sorry, Hawkeye, but I bet we don't keep 4 either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Why do you say that? How will Moe Williams hold up? I don't see us keeping Hedgecock either because Moe Williams has been used as a FB in Minnesota.

I think we keep Russel over Hedgecock.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Why do you say that? How will Moe Williams hold up? I don't see us keeping Hedgecock either because Moe Williams has been used as a FB in Minnesota.

I think we keep Russel over Hedgecock.
    I say that because with the possible exception of a RB-by-committe situation, no team keeps 4 RBs. And I'm not worried about Moe Williams holding up, because Moe Williams will not be seeing much of the field anyway. If Williams is playing so much that his durability becomes a concern, we're in trouble anyway. As it is, Russell plays the role of change-of-pace scat back. A valuable role, but not as valuable as a 270-lb H-Back lead blocker. The way I see it....

RB: Jackson, Fisher, Williams
    FB: Smith
    HB: Hedgecock, Byrd
    TE: Klop, Walker

That's 8 guys to fill what amount to 4 quasi-starting roles in Linehan's offense. The problem with Russell is he only fills one of those roles, with little to add on ST compared to Hedgecock who fills two spots and is a significant spot on ST.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    the falcons certainly want more, but they arent getting any better offers according to the atlanta papers than a #4 pick and they have asked for a #2 and may take a #3, but they really want help now to play for this year and they are desparate for help at wide receiver and safety.
    Latest word out of Atlanta is that Jerius Norwood still has a ways to go before beating Duckett out for that back-up job, so I'm not sure the Falcons trade a pretty valuable back like Duckett unless it's a good deal.

I just don't see Shaun McDonald as that good deal. If you're not going to get any better, that doesn't necessarily mean you take the best out there. Would Atlanta really be opposed to keeping Duckett another season? I doubt it.

As for their WR problems, it would be smart to wait and see who gets cut in the coming weeks. I think any team making trades in the preseason before cuts needs to pull back the reigns, simply because they might like someone better on the free agent list in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Agreed, but I don't know of many that are on the market. And also, there's a difference between fans thinking we'd be better served with a speed back and the staff thinking that's the way we need to go. Look at their RB acquisitions, and we've added depth in Fisher and Williams that is far from speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    No. Right now we have possibly 4 Running backs on the team. Steven Jackson, Tony Fisher, Moe Williams and Fred Russell.
    I love how you stick Fred Russell in there. The possibility of the Rams taking four running backs into this season is pretty slim. If it wasn't an Iowa runner, you'd likely agree. If Russell makes the team, I'll be surprised because there are other positions I'd rather have four-deep depth at than RB.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!