View Poll Results: Would you trade Tavon Austin for the #10 overall draft selection?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 23.81%
  • No

48 76.19%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

Now everyone relax, this is not an over-reaction thread, it's simply a question. If you were offered a 1st round pick (for hypothetical purposes lets say it's pick #10), would you trade Tavon Austin?

To me it's either Brian Schottenheimer goes or Tavon will never be fully utilized. I do NOT condone getting rid of Schotty. Everyone can complain as much as they want but they don't realize what it takes to run an offense. It's very easy to say "hire someone from NE or NO because their offenses are good so they will come here and run a similar offense".... No. It does not work like that. We tried that with Josh McDaniels and all that did was set us back 1 year and we finished with one of our worst seasons in history, not to mention our prized QB was almost sacked to death and many were starting to say he was "David Carr"....

Schotty has been excellent for us. Our run game has been phenomenal the last few weeks. Our line has been playing aggressive and Stacy is finding holes all over the place. Give Schotty a guy like Larry Fitz or Calvin Johnson and I promise you he'll be a top 3 OC in the league.. Remember Scott Linehan? Most of you guys ran him outta town and now he runs of the most high octane offenses in the league.

To me Tavon is a guy that's just a problem. He's a guy you physically have to create and devise a game plan for- for him to be effective. I'd rather have a guy like Nuk Hopkins who you simply plug-in on the outside and let him beat defenders by nifty route running and strong hands. Tavon is a guy that needs certain plays created for him to be successful. Now I'm not saying it was a mistake taking him, but it's not looking good.

This is why I'd trade Tavon for a first (#10) if I had the chance. I'd get a traditional WR (Sammy Watkins/ Marqise Lee/ Mike Evans) and try to succeed with them.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

When Tavon was drafted:
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    This is the BEST pick the St. Louis Rams have had in probably over 5+ years. Immediately buying an Austin jersey, and I bet you know who I'm drafting in Fantasy Football!

Eight weeks into the season:

This is why I'd trade Tavon for a first (#10) if I had the chance.

Verdict:

RamDez, Yodude, THOLTFAN81 and 8 others like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When Tavon was drafted:

Eight weeks into the season:

Verdict:

It's a shame we don't have an OC who knows how to use him.. Tavon will take time to translate his game, but even then he still won't be fully utilized to his potential (therefore many people questioning his top 10 selection). Not saying it was a bad pick and I never did, I just wish we knew how to use him and let him show his skills.

THE DREAM TEAM

emuen is offline Registered User

I voted no, even though I didn't like the pick back when we made it, simply because I think it is to early to give up on a WR, after just half a season. Tavon Austin isn't a A.J. Jenkins, who hasn't made a catch yet. He has shown flashes, and it is not like the Rams are eliminating the slot receiver. Percy Harvin had success on a run first Vikings team.

Rambos is online now Registered User

He's a guy you physically have to create and devise a game plan for- for him to be effective.

A lot of people say this but I see plays he makes without anything being created for him. Week one he runs a deep route and is held because he has a step and gets a 40 yards pass interference. Against the Texans he runs a double move and has five yards on the DB for a 65 yard easy TD, called back.

What I have seen is they have him running too many dump off routs and not enough deeper routs. Make someone run and cover him without the ball for a change. I bet he gets separation more often then not.

The problem: We took Tavon after we picked up Cook. They both play the slot and both need to be productive. Now we are in the 12 and Tavon is just not playing enough to justify that high draft pick. That said I would not trade him, he has shown he's got skills, just need to be patience, while the Rams figure it out.

We have two picks in round one, why not just draft a true number one?
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    [B]The problem: We took Tavon after we picked up Cook. They both play the slot and both need to be productive. Now we are in the 12 and Tavon is just not playing enough to justify that high draft pick. That said I would not trade him, he has shown he's got skills, just need to be patience, while the Rams figure it out.
    I did think it was a little weird to go after what amount to a big slot receiver and a fast slot receiver...and then not use either of them that much to catch passes. In general, I just think we need talent, not a particular prototype of receiver. If Tavon can stretch the defense, then he can be an asset even in a run first offense.

Not wanting to derail on Linehan, but I would say that he seems to be a much better offensive coordinator than head coach.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not saying it was a bad pick and I never did

If you're saying the Rams should trade away a guy they spent a Top 10 pick on eight weeks into his rookie season, then yes, you're saying it's a bad pick.

It's unfathomable to think anything else, and laughable to watch you try and keep one foot in both sides of this argument.
    Fargo Ram Fan and RockinRam like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Way too early for this. Some WRs are able to have great rookie seasons coming out of college and some aren't and they become one of the greats today. Give it time.
    RealRam likes this.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I voted no because the simple solution is when we finally have a REAL #1 WR that's when things will open up for Austin. IMO the lack of a threat that a true # 1 poses is what's missing in this equation.
    ManofGod likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Way too early for this. Some WRs are able to have great rookie seasons coming out of college and some aren't and they become one of the greats today. Give it time.
    we had 8 years to get something right. Im surprised at how many are Tavon supporters given the fact that we traded away a 2nd round pick to supposedly leapfrog other interested teams.

That type of investment needs to have a higher rate of return. I keep reading the same old song and dance here about a team that most of us are passionate about---

and that is:
    given 'him' time.
    hes a rookie
    needs time to develop

the only thing we have developed all these years is a penchant for losses in the W-L column.
    High picks need to produce-- period.

Yes, he has had a few moments, but those moments are the 'fish that got away' senario. They dont count, and until they start to count, they are meaningless.
    makersncoke and lordwhttgr like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i see both sides here

one side: in schottenheimer's offense he doesn't fit too well, then again, he's a rookie so maybe that's why they aren't using him entirely the way they planned, but on the OTHER hand....they jumped up a few spots to get him, USE HIM

other side: look at all the stuff he's done that's gotten called back!!

wonder what his stats are for the plays that were called back for penalties
    those were some big plays

i don't think he should be traded either (though 3 first round picks is definitely interesting)

if 75% of those penalties don't happen, i don't think we have this thread
    heck, just THREE of those penalties not calling back a punt return TD, and two big passing TDs would have been nice
    Last edited by citr92; -11-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Interesting question.....

-While Cook plays the slot as well, he does not have speed of Austin so constant deep pressure wouldn't be placed on the defense.

-Austin is having a hard time picking up the offense and thus it appears to many of us that "he is not being utilized properly"; when in all actuality when he gains a better control of the offense, his output should improve greatly given his natural abilities.

-It IS far too early to give up on him, especially if he has the potential to be a smaller clone of P. Harvin.

-On average, it takes WR's 2-3 years to adjust the pro game, especially when they are placed in a situation like the one in STL where our WR corps is so young/experience & there is really noone around to show you the ropes with any real experience.

With all that being said, I'd have to atleast consider the trade since it would allow for us to OG, OT, & S in the first round thus addressing three (3) key areas of need for our team.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    No.

(And this is most certainly an overreaction thread).

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

No way would I trade Austin. He's lightning in a bottle, and has proven that on several punt returns, and on the deep routes he's been allowed to run. He's been a victim of circumstance, who simply needs time to become more consistent and realize his enormous potential.

I still would take Nuk Hopkins over Austin, as I would before. I really hope that Schotty can get his head out of his arse and come up with a intriguing way to use Austin. As a WR, he's done next to nothing. He did have that huge TD called back against the Panthers which was a thing of beauty, but outside of that he's done nothing.

He hasn't had much of a chance of KR yet. PR is either great or terrible. He's had some nice big returns, yet at the same time he's had some horrible ones. And whats up with the "I've got 15 yards of space but I don't wanna catch this ball" crap? I've never seen a punt returner let the ball hit the ground so many times.

We should try some stuff with him, experiment, try to get him going. I don't understand why we don't let him have a carry or two out of the backfield. Try a few more screens and 9 routes.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast