View Poll Results: Would you trade Tavon Austin for the #10 overall draft selection?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 23.81%
  • No

48 76.19%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Re: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

I don't think the idea of a trade is an overreaction if you consider Austin's value as it is now vs. where it could be in say, a year.

At this point Schottenheimer can't / won't / doesn't know how to use Austin effectively.
    This seems to be a fairly common opinion among Rams fans, and could also be throughout the league (at least by a few teams' GMs). Austin could be a star, and that's where his value lies.

Let's say another season goes by and Austin still isn't producing at the level of a top ten pick. Would the perception around the league then be that he's still being used incorrectly, or that he's a "bust"?

If the Rams could trade Austin after this season and get a first round pick (OL upgrade?), or a player in return (Austin and a fifth/sixth for Jarius Byrd?) I think you'd have to consider it.
    sosa39rams likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I'd trade him for a #20 - definitely for a 10.
    I think he'll be worth it eventually, and I admire Snead for going for it, but right now he's a luxury, and I don't blame Schotty.
    We just don't have a WR that scares anyone, so Austin is basically doomed.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

¡No señor! Por ahora, NO. Tal vez en uno o dos años, o quizá nunca.

NO!, not now. Perhaps in a year or two, maybe never.

PS: 'NO' in any language!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I didn't like the pick or, more accurately, the cost for the type of player he seemed most likely to be nor have I been especially impressed so far BUT....trading him is absurd.

I'm with Mfranke as he hinted in his last game review; Sherman may well turn out to be the bust here. Schotty can't use Austin creatively until Sherman teaches him how to run the route, and all the other technical nuances, can he ? Ditto for Quick, Bailey, et al ?
    Not just the rooks, either; is Cook really that clueless or has he not been taught how to read the blitz or that he's even the hot read ?
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -11-03-2013 at 07:16 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I didn't like the pick or, more accurately, the cost for type of player he seemed most likely to be nor have I been especially impressed so far BUT....trading him is absurd.

I'm with Mfranke as he hinted in his last game review; Sherman may well turn out to be the bust here. Schotty can't use Austin creatively until Sherman teaches him how to run the route, and all the other technical nuances, can he ? Ditto for Quick, Bailey, et al ?
    Not just the rooks, either; is Cook really that clueless or has he not been taught how to read the blitz or that he's even the hot read ?
    At the end of the day Ray Sherman can only do so much. It always falls on the players no matter what. If you are dedicated and willing you can be great. Can anybody name me the Vikings RB Coach? Nope, AP is 100% a football guy and that's why he bounced back from a big injury to have the best season a RB ever had.

Who is the Lions WR coach? Doesn't matter... The Texans defensive line coach? No relevance on Watt.

Countless times we see guys like Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce around Rams park "helping" these WR's and yet none of them ever do anything to separate. Quick is obviously having troubles remembering things. Maybe 4 times I can remember where he is the hot WR on a blitz and Bradford will sling it at his back...

Givens can no way handle #1 WR duties. Not a complete WR thus far. Pettis is reliable but not earth shattering. We've seen little on Bailey and Austin, but it's notable Austin has struggled.

In my mind we STILL need a #1 WR.... A guy who can be depended upon. When it's 3rd and 8 a guy who will do a 9 yard curl, work off the CB, and will shield him and will bring the ball in for a first. We don't have that guy and I doubt we will next season. Quick is having big time troubles with the mental part of the game, Austin is a swiss army knife that rarely lines up outside, Bailey is a long-shot, Pettis has maxed out IMO, and Givens has been shadowed all season.

Just look at our RB corps... Our RB coach is no-one special. We drafted Pead in the 2nd and Stacy in the 5th. Why is it that one can grasp the offense and can be lights out and the other be so clueless and look like one of the worst Rams draft choices in MANY years? I highly doubt that the RB coach had or has that impact. It's all on the players ability to grasp the mental part of the game.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -11-03-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    At the end of the day Ray Sherman can only do so much. It always falls on the players no matter what. If you are dedicated and willing you can be great. Can anybody name me the Vikings RB Coach? Nope, AP is 100% a football guy and that's why he bounced back from a big injury to have the best season a RB ever had.

Who is the Lions WR coach? Doesn't matter... The Texans defensive line coach? No relevance on Watt.

Countless times we see guys like Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce around Rams park "helping" these WR's and yet none of them ever do anything to separate. Quick is obviously having troubles remembering things. Maybe 4 times I can remember where he is the hot WR on a blitz and Bradford will sling it at his back...

Givens can no way handle #1 WR duties. Not a complete WR thus far. Pettis is reliable but not earth shattering. We've seen little on Bailey and Austin, but it's notable Austin has struggled.

In my mind we STILL need a #1 WR.... A guy who can be depended upon. When it's 3rd and 8 a guy who will do a 9 yard curl, work off the CB, and will shield him and will bring the ball in for a first. We don't have that guy and I doubt we will next season. Quick is having big time troubles with the mental part of the game, Austin is a swiss army knife that rarely lines up outside, Bailey is a long-shot, Pettis has maxed out IMO, and Givens has been shadowed all season.

Just look at our RB corps... Our RB coach is no-one special. We drafted Pead in the 2nd and Stacy in the 5th. Why is it that one can grasp the offense and can be lights out and the other be so clueless and look like one of the worst Rams draft choices in MANY years? I highly doubt that the RB coach had or has that impact. It's all on the players ability to grasp the mental part of the game.
    But I'm not talking about coaching greatness, just basic NFl competence. How many Ram WRs/TEs have been hit in the back,stopped on routes, consistently failed to attack the ball and the like. This is coachable stuff & there's a pattern of it,imo. Not layin' it all at his door by any stretch but even if you're right & these guys don't have the drive, discipline, and focus- something I've not heard about any of them, to be fair- necessary to be successful, does that not reflect on the coaches as well ?

PS edit Stacy has been great but it's much more common for backs to pop like that. And he's far from a finished product. Go look at the pass play in the EZ to Pettis that failed at the end of The Hags game & see who missed the blitzer that forced a bad throw from KC. I don't mean missed the block; I mean had no clue what he was looking for,imo.
    I think the funk they've allowed Pead to sink into both last year and this, is bizarre. The guy had a solid outing last time he played, esp as a pass catcher. Yeah, you can put the RB coach on the hotseat,too, imo.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -11-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    But I'm not talking about coaching greatness, just basic NFl competence. How many Ram WRs/TEs have been hit in the back,stopped on routes, consistently failed to attack the ball and the like. This is coachable stuff & there's a pattern of it,imo. Not layin' it all at his door by any stretch but even if you're right & these guys don't have the drive, discipline, and focus- something I've not heard about any of them, to be fair- necessary to be successful, does that not reflect on the coaches as well ?

PS edit Stacy has been great but it's much more common for backs to pop like that. And he's far from a finished product. Go look at the pass play in the EZ to Pettis that failed at the end of The Hags game & see who missed the blitzer that forced a bad throw from KC. I don't mean missed the block; I mean had no clue what he was looking for,imo.
    I think the funk they've allowed Pead to sink into both last year and this, is bizarre. The guy had a solid outing last time he played, esp as a pass catcher. Yeah, you can put the RB coach on the hotseat,too, imo.
    yea, definitely been seeing bad coaching being represented on the field

love fisher, but he's got to find a better staff

Mikey is online now Registered User

I didn't want us to draft him in the first place but trading him because we have a horrible OC is just silly.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Associated Press wrote this about Tavon Austin entering this weekend's game...

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer pointed out that Austin draws a lot of attention from the defenses because of his reputation for big plays in college.

"With him not being out there every play, when you put him out there, the defenses start looking for certain things," Schottenheimer said. "But he's had a good week of (practice). You'll see him make some plays starting this weekend."

St. Louis (3-5) hosts Tennessee (3-4) on Sunday.
    Tavon Austin was targeted a mere two times and rushed the ball once today.

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton said this about Trent Richardson leading up to this week's game...

"I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that compliment his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week."
    If Brian Schottenheimer is incapable of finding ways to put Tavon Austin in position to make plays for this team, then the Rams need to find someone who can. It is the very pinnacle of backward thinking to discard a talented football player because you'd rather keep the unimaginative coordinator struggling to utilize him.
    ramsbruce and PARamfan like this.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tavon Austin was targeted a mere two times and rushed the ball once today.
    That is unacceptable. Shotty isn't going to change, but something needs to change. As much as I would like the continuity of keeping Shotty with Bradford, it just doesn't make sense anymore. Only having the continuity, but not much else, isn't worth it in the long run.
    citr92 likes this.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    That is unacceptable. Shotty isn't going to change, but something needs to change. As much as I would like the continuity of keeping Shotty with Bradford, it just doesn't make sense anymore. Only having the continuity, but not much else, isn't worth it in the long run.
    there's gotta be an OC somewhere that has an offense close to schotty but has a far more creative mind and a better decision maker

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Agreed. Continuity doesn't help when you're talking about staying continuous with what isn't getting it done. Yes, it's great that Schotty has found the formula for the running game, but the Rams didn't spend big free agent money (Cook) and big draft resources (Austin) on two passing weapons just to have them collect dust.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    there's gotta be an OC somewhere that has an offense close to schotty but has a far more creative mind and a better decision maker
    At this point I just want the best OC we can get. Whether his offense is close to Shotty's or not doesn't matter to me. I just want a creative mind who knows what he's doing. Bradford & company would have to adapt if a new OC came in with a different offense, I'm confident they can. To keep doing the same thing over and over with Shotty, is insane.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

punahou is online now Registered User

mike martz

k ive said what I had to

bye

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    mike martz

k ive said what I had to

bye
    Not with this current O-line. Sam will get murdered.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast