View Poll Results: Would you trade Tavon Austin for the #10 overall draft selection?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 23.81%
  • No

48 76.19%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Would You Trade Tavon Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce4life View Post
    At the end of the day though Tavon is still getting experience. I think you'll see Quick, TA, Givens, Bailey and a high priced veteran come as our receiving corp next season.
    Agreed!

Even if we just kept the WRs / TEs roster as is, this group (Cook, et al) will have learned quite a bit with this learning-curve-type of season under their belt. Once they reunite with the Rams starting QB in Bradford, I believe this year will yield good, or even very good, advancement and results in 2014.
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-04-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Speleen

Head Slap is offline Registered User

He does have the prettiest fair catch in the game at the moment.

I was skeptical of his size and weight and he catch radius. He has a lot going against him IMHO at the moment which in the least puts him up against a huge learning curve. . In college he had set plays designed to put him or Bailey mismatched on players with half the talent so a tight route was never in his mo; he is having trouble running routs in the NFL. . He is a 'body catcher' not a hands catcher which is ok wide open like he was in college; now that catch radius has to increase so he can get to the ball in tight coverage (lucky Bradford has the ability to thread that needle btw). His weight is a bit of an issue but low percentage of the argument; regardless a bump on the line against a 200lb plus cover guy takes away a few steps. He now knows all nfl special teams players running at him on punt coverage run a 4.4 40 or better and have 50+ lbs on him. he doesnt have a pure wide out threat to open the slot better for him. He has Son-Of-Marty designing plays for him to catch and run flat footed. Create some space for his to catch on the run. but that would require a 172 lb guy to go accross the middle defenseless.. not a good idea

according to some he is having trouble reading coverage and cant adjust routes with audible or adjust routes when QB is out of pocket. (what was his wonderlic score?)

And someone tell me why he likes to wait 3 seconds every punt he decides to return? or do those little 5 step juke moves till dudes are on him. one move and go bro jeez.

IMHO he has potential still. But he is still quite one dimensional and wont get the ball unless he is the primary receiver of the play. even with Bradfords ability to go through a progression he didnt go to Tevon as the 3rd guy. Hes just not adapting on the fly yet.

If he was trade bait what would the market be? a 3 pick? If we packaged him, Jenkins and a RB to Cleveland for Josh Gordon.

for the record. Tevon and Jenkins are my biggest disappointments on this team.
    Last edited by Head Slap; -11-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Head Slap View Post
    If we packaged him, Jenkins and a RB to Cleveland for Josh Gordon.
    Is that a serious suggestion?

If so, here's my serious answer: that would be the worst personnel move in Rams history.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Austin doesn't need special plays or fancy routes to make plays in the NFL. He just needs to be on the stinkin' field.

Look at last night's Colts/Texans game. TY Hilton is the same size and they have the same 40 time. TY lined up on the outside and beat the Texans with speed and quickness in the second half of that game.

I think part of the problem is that the Rams are trying to get too cute. Just put him out there.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Austin doesn't need special plays or fancy routes to make plays in the NFL. He just needs to be on the stinkin' field.

Look at last night's Colts/Texans game. TY Hilton is the same size and they have the same 40 time. TY lined up on the outside and beat the Texans with speed and quickness in the second half of that game.

I think part of the problem is that the Rams are trying to get too cute. Just put him out there.
    that's part of schotty over thinking things

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I don't know how they will get him on the field other than situation downs. He can't play TE or FB. Fisher has changed the scheme with jumbo sets and a FB to feature the run game. With Sam hurt the rams are almost one dimensional and anything other than power run formation is now a telegraph. The OL still has problems with pass protection but the jumbo sets are producing run lanes for stacy.
    macrammer likes this.

heff is offline Registered User

Austin is a rookie struggling with drops, and likely also the intricacies of an NFL playboook. Yet he's still doing well compared to other rookie WRs.

Wonderlic - 7. That's Vince Young (Radio) level, like being able to barely articulate a complete thought. Give him a year of technique work, film study, and PEDs and he'll be ready to go next year.

Having watched a lot of BIG XII football, I knew he was overvalued when the Rams traded up to get him, but I still thought at the time it could pay off. Let's give it another year before we put him on the market.
    Last edited by heff; -11-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin is still the same dynamic playmaker we moved up 8 spots to draft. If you liked him then, and you understand the game, you like him now.

The biggest part of his struggles can easily be traced to his coaching staff and his fellow teammates either committing penalties or not blocking.

So needless to say, I would not entertain the thought of trading Tavon Austin at this point.
    RealRam, Rambos, MauiRam and 3 others like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Tavon Austin is still the same dynamic playmaker we moved up 8 spots to draft. If you liked him then, and you understand the game, you like him now.

The biggest part of his struggles can easily be traced to his coaching staff and his fellow teammates either committing penalties or not blocking.

So needless to say, I would not entertain the thought of trading Tavon Austin at this point.
    +1,000,000

Many of you are forgetting the TDs that he score that were called back. Two, come to mind. The punt return for a td and the numerous long punt returns, all called back. The bomb by Bradford, he beats the DB and hauls in a catch for the TD, called back because Jake Long tripped the DE. Also, he has had potential TD runs overthrown. Like the one by Kellen Clemens. Yeah, he has drops, but his numbers and his game sucks because of so many factors.

Its not because he sucks, because he does not. He's probably has the worst luck ever.
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    +1,000,000
    He's probably has the worst luck ever.
    exactly, it's ridiculous

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by heff View Post
    Austin is a rookie struggling with drops, and likely also the intricacies of an NFL playboook. Yet he's still doing well compared to other rookie WRs.

Wonderlic - 7. That's Vince Young (Radio) level, like being able to barely articulate a complete thought. Give him a year of technique work, film study, and PEDs and he'll be ready to go next year.

Having watched a lot of BIG XII football, I knew he was overvalued when the Rams traded up to get him, but I still thought at the time it could pay off. Let's give it another year before we put him on the market.
    this seems to be the mantra and mindset here, give them a year to develop.... and the next thing we know its 9 years later and we are still saying the same things.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

this seems to be the mantra and mindset here, give them a year to develop.... and the next thing we know its 9 years later and we are still saying the same things.
    You do realize that the longest tenured players have been on the team far less than 9 years, right?
    Goldenfleece likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm wondering if anyone will be changing their tune now...

Thompo is offline Registered User

Get rid, doesn't fit the system. Too small to play in NFL.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm guessing a lot of people are feeling pretty silly right about now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast