Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Wow

  1. #16
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    He played well off his man on third and short.
    Because where players line up on the field has nothing to do with coaching, right? :x


    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    Then he gets burnt in the end zone.
    Burnt? He was all over the guy's back. It was a perfect throw and catch with very good coverage. Sometimes in football the other guys execute. That doesn't mean you turn around and blame our man, who was playing the receiver about as well as you could.

    Why do I get the feeling some people will find anything and everything they can in order to trash a guy? A guy on their team playing hurt, no less. Didn't sound like Fisher had a good game, but he was far from the only one. Where was Tye Hill? Where were our safeties? Where was the entire defense on the last drive? To single out one guy on a handful of plays, some of which are pretty inaccurate criticisms on top of that, is weak sauce.


    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Fisher didn't play well, but people keep saying he plays off his man. Now you don't really think that Fisher decides to go out and play way off his man do you? It's the scheme and the play call from Haslett that puts him in that position. That's the play call and where Haslett wants him. People act like the DBs go out on the field and just line up where they want to, and then blame the DBs when they play too far off and get burned. :x
    Thank you! Nice to see someone gets it.

    The way some people make it out, the WRs just line up wherever they want, and Marc Bulger flips a coin to see if he's in shotgun or not.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-15-2006 at 04:52 PM.

    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  2. #17
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,204
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Wow

    Cardiac comeback ended in a coma. :\ One of the most memorable games for me.

    Too many penalties, too many penalties, costly and bitter to no end.

    Yes, our OL collapsed even in front of a three-man rush, costly sacks on MB.

    Ultra rare 'double doink' failed FG attempt by Josh Brown, hits both posts! :O

    Our 1st half, so promising. But alas, Seattle came up BIG in the 2nd half. :x

    Curtis' fumble, uncharateristic. Morris's fumble -- what a break for us, wow!

    Torry's amazing catch for a TD!!! Even Bulger got a little giddy!

    Ed Hochuli clarifies the game-deciding penalty; leaves Sawks a FG attempt.

    What a heartbreaker. But yes, no doubt...

    We are in this race for the rest of the year.


    And Seattle, even with Alexander back, is certainly subject to losing their advantage while we, hopefully learning from today's game, will gain the edge. Despite numerous mistakes in today's tough battle the Rams are definitely for REAL.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-15-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Color

  3. #18
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Fisher didn't play well, but people keep saying he plays off his man. Now you don't really think that Fisher decides to go out and play way off his man do you? It's the scheme and the play call from Haslett that puts him in that position. That's the play call and where Haslett wants him. People act like the DBs go out on the field and just line up where they want to, and then blame the DBs when they play too far off and get burned. :x
    The plays I was refering to he was lined up one on one with a guy on third and short and he backpedalled as the ball was snapped beyond the first down. He gave the guy a good 5-10 yard cushion. That IMO is not scheme problems when you are lined up one on one.

  4. #19
    ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Wow

    Biggest problem i had with Fisher was him not finding the ball in the air. I do believe that both that DPI call and TD could have been prevented. Fisher was in position to stop that TD but never found the ball.
    Last edited by ImJohnWayne; -10-15-2006 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #20
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,255
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Wow

    The game came down to execution when it mattered most.

    The winning team made their halftime adjustments and took advantage of opportunities.

    The "turning point" may well have been the Curtis fumble. The Rams managed to take advantage of the late fumble to take the lead, but the defense did not stop the opponents on that last drive far enough away to negate the FG attempt.

    Th seasson is far from over so we need to quit acting as it it were!

    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  6. #21
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    The plays I was refering to he was lined up one on one with a guy on third and short and he backpedalled as the ball was snapped beyond the first down. He gave the guy a good 5-10 yard cushion. That IMO is not scheme problems when you are lined up one on one.
    I don't recall him backpedalling 5-10 yards on third and short when I saw the game. Was this one play? If he's not trying to jam the guy at the line he will have to backpedal some, he can't just stand flat footed.

    When you say that "he played well off his man in third and short" that implies you are commenting on where he was lining up. If you want to talk about a specific play, maybe be more specific. I have seen multiple complaints from people on where our DBs line up and they act like it's the DBs choice and has nothing to do with what play was called by Haslett.

    .
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  7. #22
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    The plays I was refering to he was lined up one on one with a guy on third and short and he backpedalled as the ball was snapped beyond the first down. He gave the guy a good 5-10 yard cushion. That IMO is not scheme problems when you are lined up one on one.
    I'd have to see a replay of the specific play, but again, are you contesting the notion that where a guy lines up is related to the scheme? You say it's not a scheme problem since it was one on one coverage. That doesn't make sense to me though, because I suspect coaches still coach players how to defend one on one.

    If it's third down and a corner is backing off of a guy, then it would seem to me he's doing so in order to keep the play in front of him and to try and prevent a gain by putting himself in better position to make a tackle. It would seem to me it's a lot easier to backpedal off the snap and then step forward and tackle a guy in front of you than it is to try and get him from behind because you were covering close and he made a break on you. If Fisher covers close on that play, and the receiver makes a quick cut, Fisher is in a much worse position to make a tackle, IMO.

    But again, how is this not a scheme issue? You say he gave the receiver a 5-10 yard cushion. Are you suggestion Haslett allows his corners to line up wherever they want on any kind of situation? Because I don't think a player would be playing very long if he was doing this against the advice of his coordinator, nor do I think our other corners would be doing the same thing at times, which I pointed out here when analyzing video of past games. To blame Fisher for this when other corners do the exact same thing seems unfair to me, and it's because other corners do the same thing that supports the idea that it's how they're being coached to play.


    Quote Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne View Post
    Biggest problem i had with Fisher was him not finding the ball in the air. I do believe that both that DPI call and TD could have been prevented. Fisher was in position to stop that TD but never found the ball.
    Again, whats' he supposed to do? If he turns around to locate the ball, he gives up room for the receiver. It's hard to believe he turns to find the ball and still stays as close to his man as he did, which makes me wonder what the point is of turning at all. You turn to bat the ball down or make the pick sure, but if you lose position in doing so, it seems like a waste to me.

    Put simply, I think it was a perfect pass and catch. We should give credit to the Seahawks for their execution. From what I saw of the replay, Fisher had his man blanketed, and IMO taking the time to look away from his man would have given the receiver an opportunity to get some separation which is something you don't want. The more egregious defense I think would have been the pass to Jackson where we had multiple guys around the ball and none of them could prevent it. Another perfect pass and catch, but from a sheer numbers standpoint you'd think we could have done something.

    As for the DPI, it was a pretty questionable call. Savard said as much on the radio, and I believe they commented about Haslett being livid about the call being made. I'd have to see the replay to make my own judgement, but I usually find Savard to be pretty fair and accurate. I know a couple chat members thought it was a bad call as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I have seen multiple complaints from people on where our DBs line up and they act like it's the DBs choice and has nothing to do with what play was called by Haslett.
    Agreed. If you go back and watch game tape, it's pretty easy to find instances where all our DBs have done this. When everyone's doing it, I would suggest that supports the idea of it being a coaching issue. If Fisher was the only one doing it, then it would be a legitimate complaint against him specifically.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-15-2006 at 05:56 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  8. #23
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,204
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Wow

    The seasson is far from over so we need to quit acting as it it were! -- RnD
    You're right, RnD. Today we proved we're right up there with the Hawks and the finish line for this marathon is still more than half away in the distance.

    I feel the Rams left with their chin held up -- even if quite bruised (even Coach Linehan's cheekbone was bloody). Game in Seattle should be one big bang!!!

  9. #24
    ramstiles's Avatar
    ramstiles is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    surrey, england,
    Age
    60
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Wow

    anyone get the feeling of Dejavu superbowl against the pats

  10. #25
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    anyone get the feeling of Dejavu superbowl against the pats
    I did actually. It's killing me (and every Rams fan I assume). :\
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  11. #26
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,611
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Wow

    I swear, I saw two different football teams (Rams), in the first half, and the second half. Two totally different teams. Mainly on Defense...


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  12. #27
    ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Again, whats' he supposed to do? If he turns around to locate the ball, he gives up room for the receiver. It's hard to believe he turns to find the ball and still stays as close to his man as he did, which makes me wonder what the point is of turning at all. You turn to bat the ball down or make the pick sure, but if you lose position in doing so, it seems like a waste to me.

    Put simply, I think it was a perfect pass and catch. We should give credit to the Seahawks for their execution. From what I saw of the replay, Fisher had his man blanketed, and IMO taking the time to look away from his man would have given the receiver an opportunity to get some separation which is something you don't want. The more egregious defense I think would have been the pass to Jackson where we had multiple guys around the ball and none of them could prevent it. Another perfect pass and catch, but from a sheer numbers standpoint you'd think we could have done something.

    As for the DPI, it was a pretty questionable call. Savard said as much on the radio, and I believe they commented about Haslett being livid about the call being made. I'd have to see the replay to make my own judgement, but I usually find Savard to be pretty fair and accurate. I know a couple chat members thought it was a bad call as well.

    Agreed. If you go back and watch game tape, it's pretty easy to find instances where all our DBs have done this. When everyone's doing it, I would suggest that supports the idea of it being a coaching issue. If Fisher was the only one doing it, then it would be a legitimate complaint against him specifically.
    Sorry Nick but this is basic stuff for any DB in coverage. Cover the reciever and locate the ball. If Fisher locates the ball on that TD pass he puts a hand up and tips it, incomplete.

    The only thing i can see to rationalize the DPI is that Fisher was once again making contact without playing the ball, which the refs today considered equivalent to face gaurding.

    The really bad DPI call that I was upset about was the call on Hill. Hill turned to make a play on the ball and was run over by seattle's WR. I was positive it was going to be interference on the offense... it didnt go that way. That continued a drive that changed momentum for Seattle.

    I'm not trying to single Fisher out, Hill misplayed coverage as well but I tend to be more lenient with a rookie in week five than a veteran year five.

  13. #28
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne View Post
    Sorry Nick but this is basic stuff for any DB in coverage. Cover the reciever and locate the ball. If Fisher locates the ball on that TD pass he puts a hand up and tips it, incomplete.
    I'm copying this from another thread...

    Having watched the TD, I agree that he doesn't turn and look back at the ball. I would contend that he's probably making sure that he's on top of the receiver since it's man coverage and he has no safety help in the end zone because we're blitzing (and surprise, we aren't getting to Hass). So he has to stay on his guy because he's the only one defending him.

    And yes, part of coverage is making a play on the ball. But if you go to NFL.com and watch their video highlights, they show an interesting angle of the play that makes it look like Fisher tries to get his hand in with Branch's hands as the catch is being made (about the 1:48 mark or so).

    In fact, I've tried to take a picture of it. Take a look at the picture. First of all, excuse the fact that I'm taking it with a camera phone and it's not great quality. But the quality is good enough to show that, unless Deion Branch suddenly sprouted a third arm, Fisher is trying to get an arm up to disrupt the catch.

    I just don't think you can ask much more of him on that play. He was isolated against Branch because we were blitzing, the blitz did not succeed, and obviously when you bring extra heat you run the risk of exposing your secondary. Such is the case here. Hasselbeck delivered a great pass to Branch, who had Fisher right on his back. Sometimes that happens, and it's going to happen more and more if we keep calling blitzes but can't execute them properly.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  14. #29
    raminsyr's Avatar
    raminsyr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Syracuse NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne View Post
    That DPI call against Tye Hill changed the direction of this game.

    Bad play all around by our secondary.

    I had horrible flashbacks of Marmie on that last Seattle drive as our Def just sat back in a weak zone.
    The P.I. call was horrible. I guess if you are a def. back and you find yourself in-between the ball and a wideout you should expext a flag.

  15. #30
    Ram Warrior's Avatar
    Ram Warrior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    west coast
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Wow

    "Majorram"
    man this really sucks and we have two weeks to think about this... if we finish like this every week I am going to be in hospital with a heart attack...


    You are soooo right jumping up and down yelling , I really wish we had won this one , The seahags fans are going Crazy , I told you so , we played well in the 1st half , In the 2nd it seemed they got smart to what we were doing and how we were doing it , We did fight back , well I'm very proud of our guys for that. But the seahags was the better team in the 2nd half and we could not stop them from driving down the Field , no matter about the bad calls or one player did not do his job it has been and always will be a team sport. I just don't want this loss to break our back ,I really don't think it will but its happened before "GO RAMS"
    Last edited by Ram Warrior; -10-15-2006 at 11:10 PM.
    "Integrity is the formula of who a person Is or Is not"


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •