Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: WOW...just Wow.

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

WOW...just Wow.

Feels like Fisher's already been here three years, when in fact it's about 15 months.
    I know everyone's excited this time of year, but between last year's improved play, and this year's incredible draft, I'm as pumped as I've been in 50 years, (other than '99 of course, but even that, great as it was, was somewhat of an aberration). Fisher, (and Snead and Kroenke, but Fisher's the driver), is building a team the right way, which team will be scary competitive for the next however many years he's here, which I expect to be a long time.

And speaking of '99, we were flat ROLLING, IIRC, until we had to play the Titans. And the SB itself was WAY closer than any of us expected. The Rams went down the field to close to the 20 in their first 5 drives, (again IIRC), and came away with three FG's and one TD. And I did NOT want to see that game go to overtime. The D was gassed, and Tennessee had momentum. Point is, is that I really don't fear playing the Niners or the Seahawks.
    And I know we all accused Fisher (somewhat justifiably), of questionable play in our scrimmages, but deep down I think, given the option, we would have rather not played them. Anyway, now that he's our coach, that was just hard-nosed play.

Nothing new here, but consider we have a 7th round pick, Stacy, and 3 UDFA's in Davis, Cunningham and Armstrong that we're excited about, plus the draft picks, who are all probably going to START, (except McGee, who may play in nickel and dime packages), AND 5 rookie starters now in their second year, plus an all pro LT and TE, plus (has to improve) LG play, and Safety play which has to be much better (can't be worse)...

I ask you, how can you not be flat THRILLED about next season. Seriously, unabashedly THRILLED.

Oh...one more thing. Do you honestly believe Kroenke is going to ever let Fisher, Snead and/or Demoff ever walk? And why would they? Dynasty is way to strong a word, but they are building a Patriot-Steeler like organization that will at minimum, be competitive for the next 10-20 years. (Man, am i getting carried away, or what?)

And just to backtrack a little, in '14 cand '15 when three years of great drafts are all going to Hawaii every year, SF and SEA are going to have to actually pay their QBs.

Enjoy your Sunday, and your week.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -05-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    MauiRam, Richbert88, Varg6 and 5 others like this.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: WOW...just Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

Nothing new here, but consider we have a 7th round pick, Stacy, and 2 UDFA's in Davis and Armstrong, that we're excited about, plus the draft picks, who are all probably going to START, (except McGee, who may play in nickel and dime packages), AND 5 rookie starters now in their second year, plus an all pro LT and TE, plus (has to improve) LG play, and Safety play which has to be much better (can't be worse)...

I ask you, how can you not be flat THRILLED about next season. Seriously, unabashedly THRILLED.

Oh...one more thing. Do you honestly believe Kroenke is going to ever let Fisher, Snead and/or Demoff ever walk? And why would they? Dynasty is way to strong a word, but they are building a Patriot-Steeler like organization that will at minimum, be competitive for the next 10-20 years. (Man, am i getting carried away, or what?)

And just to backtrack a little, in '14 cand '15 when three years of great drafts are all going to Hawaii every year, SF and SEA are going to have to actually pay their QBs.

Enjoy your Sunday, and your week.
    In view of the disappointments the Rams have meted out over the last decade, I've been drinking less and less koolaid the last couple of years. This year however, I am thinking about pouring myself a nice tall glass. There is a chance that our draft this year could even be better than last year's. Throw in Jake Long, and Jared Cook and we possibly have the makings of a perfect storm - not just for NFC West opponents, but everyone we play.

Tavon Austin may be a rookie, but you can't coach pure speed and elusiveness. Jared Cook is most certainly not a rookie, and he runs in the 4.4s. Isaiah Pead runs in the 4.3s, and this year he'll certainly get his chances. Chris Givens is no longer our only threat to take it the distance any time he touches the ball.

I wonder what the final tally will be for opposing Ds throwing 8 in the box against us this year as opposed to last year's total, and the year before? We are really going to be an improved team this year - we just need to stay reasonably healthy. Who can forget 1999? I like our chances in 2013 .. Go ahead Vegas, bust out the koolaid, I'm right behind you, tall glass in hand !!

citr92 is offline Registered User

i'm freakin stoked too

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I, too, am pumped big time. On paper, it makes all the sense in the world for this offense to completely go nuts this year. The speed we have is just ridiculous right now and I think Sam is going to prove himself as the leader of this team. On defense, the addition of Ogletree really makes this side of the ball scary. We already have a top ten (at least) DL, quality DBs, and an awesome leader in JLau at MLB. It's just awesome. And oh yeah, Tavon is gonna return some punts and make a lot of dudes miss tackles in the process...

I, of course, still want to see Safety play but, again, on paper, this team looks like it's got the players to compete against any team and give them a complete ass whooping.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

I share all the excitement written here. I cannot remember being this excited going into a season and I've been rooting for this team for 45 years. I ran into Steve Mariucci at Stanford Mall in Palo Alto today and told "Muuch" how much I enjoyed his appearances on NFL Network. It got me to start thinking when are we going to get "back to football" because we are going to catch some people sleeping on us and I cannot wait to start lighting it up. We just have to keep as healthy as possible.

Go Rams!

tiger1971 is offline Registered User

You guys in the US must be buzzing, I must say I am pretty excited for the forthcoming season and I will only get to see highlights and maybe three TV games during the season on SKY.

It's a shame that the Rams were here at Wembley for the International Series game last year as I reckong they could have won a lot more fans over to the cause if they had been coming this year. Never mind it was my first opportunity to see the Rams in the flesh and I'm glad I took it.

It looks like I might be over in the US from late August to mid September but will be on the West Coast (Seattle to Yellowstone to Yosemite to San Francisco) so I might get the opportunity to see some of our matches whilst out there. Any guidance on where to watch NFL matches on TV woudl be gratefully accepted.

You Rams!!!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm always filled with mixed emotions when it comes to the Rams. On the one hand, I am encouraged by the improvement shown last season and the leadership provided by Jeff Fisher and members of the front office. It is clear there is a plan in place and they are sticking to it. They were fiercely competitive for much of last season, and I fully expect that to continue. This team is a far cry from the inept, hopeless club of just a couple of short seasons ago. I'm firmly convinced better days lie ahead, and we're headed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the season.

By the same token, I have lived through countless disappointments involving this ballclub- losing records, unfulfilled promises and untold heartaches, and cannot get sucked into the "we're gonna' be great" proclamations. I have NO IDEA if this draft will be good. I have NO IDEA if some of the young talent which is being heavily counted on will pan out favorably. I cannot get overly giddy about the Quicks and the Peads and the other young skill position guys until I see tangible results and reason to feel like they will be part of the solution. That isn't negativity, that's realism. I do not have blind faith in people.

Also realistic: Seattle and SF improved dramatically and it could be argued they are the best teams in the NFC. Past comments from some belittling their approach to their finances, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. reflect ignorance and sour grapes. Can we beat them? Absolutely. But a healthy respect for each club is warranted.

"Cautious optimism" is the term that best describes my outlook on the 2013-14 Rams.
    MauiRam, r8rh8rmike, Truth and 3 others like this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Also realistic: Seattle and SF improved dramatically
    Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man. Those two teams don't know how any of their moves are going to work out any more than we do. Free agents bust just like draft picks do and our rookies look just as good on paper as theirs.
    Rambos and FestusRam like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man. Those two teams don't know how any of their moves are going to work out any more than we do. Free agents bust just like draft picks do and our rookies look just as good on paper as theirs.
    It happens to be the opinion shared by just about anybody who follows football and knows a thing or two about the game. The Rams stockpiled draft picks a year ago and were roundly praised for it; SF does it this year and they're not to be given credit?? Sorry- in my world, that doesn't fly- even for partisan Rams fans like ourselves. I stand by my post- which is very clear and very fair.

macrammer is offline Registered User

It happens to be the opinion shared by just about anybody who follows football and knows a thing or two about the game. The Rams stockpiled draft picks a year ago and were roundly praised for it; SF does it this year and they're not to be given credit?? Sorry- in my world, that doesn't fly- even for partisan Rams fans like ourselves. I stand by my post- which is very clear and very fair.
    Our rivals in the NFC West have done quite a bit to improve themselves.....There is no denying that How ANY of the moves pan out is the $64,000 question.

I don't drink kool aid any more. After so many years of inept football, I wait and see what the product on the field looks like. I am intrigued and I am very thankful we have an owner that will do what is necessary to set up the foundation for a winning organization. That is the key to becoming a true force in sporting world. Everything I see tells me that we have every reason to be hopeful.

I'm always filled with mixed emotions when it comes to the Rams. On the one hand, I am encouraged by the improvement shown last season and the leadership provided by Jeff Fisher and members of the front office. It is clear there is a plan in place and they are sticking to it. They were fiercely competitive for much of last season, and I fully expect that to continue. This team is a far cry from the inept, hopeless club of just a couple of short seasons ago. I'm firmly convinced better days lie ahead, and we're headed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the season.

So far, so good.

By the same token, I have lived through countless disappointments involving this ballclub- losing records, unfulfilled promises and untold heartaches, and cannot get sucked into the "we're gonna' be great" proclamations. I have NO IDEA if this draft will be good. I have NO IDEA if some of the young talent which is being heavily counted on will pan out favorably. I cannot get overly giddy about the Quicks and the Peads and the other young skill position guys until I see tangible results and reason to feel like they will be part of the solution. That isn't negativity, that's realism. I do not have blind faith in people.

We have all lived through it. Read my lips - Georgia and the idiots are GONE. THAT is the difference. And THAT was my point

Also realistic: Seattle and SF improved dramatically and it could be argued they are the best teams in the NFC. Past comments from some belittling their approach to their finances, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. reflect ignorance and sour grapes. Can we beat them? Absolutely. But a healthy respect for each club is warranted.

Respectfully disagree. Neither team improved DRAMATICALLY. It could be argued they are both very good teams that solidified themselves depth-wise. No one belittled anything. I said they are not paying the going rate for exceptiona QBs, (and they're not), butt hey will eventually pay the piper. Please quote the "belittling-sour grapes portion of my post. Also, why is it they improved dramatically based on their drafts, but the Rams' draftees have proven nothing yet. Also, I'll take Long and Cook over Boldin and Harvin all day long.

"Cautious optimism" is the term that best describes my outlook on the 2013-14 Rams.
    More like your perennial pessimism.

P.S. Fell free to start a thread stating your views NJ, but don't misquote mis-respond to a thread simply to reinforce your own feelings.

Do you actually read the posts you respond to? I follow football and know a thing or two about the game, and I don't share that opinion. And DE simply said SF doesn't know for certain how their selections will work out. You said the Rams don't. What's the difference.

Oh wait, your post is "clear and fair", whatever that means.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    More like your perennial pessimism.

P.S. Fell free to start a thread stating your views NJ, but don't misquote mis-respond to a thread simply to reinforce your own feelings.
    I don't see pessimism at all in NJ's response, which he ended with "Cautious OPTIMISM is the term that best describes my outlook for the 2013-14 Rams." He laid out the positives, and then presented the realities of getting too excited before anything meaningful has happened (see 2011 Philadelphia Eagles "Dream Team").

As far as starting his own thread, should he have to? You started a discussion about how you see the coming season, and posed the question, "I ask you, how can you not be flat THRILLED about next season. Seriously, unabashedly THRILLED.", and he responded with his opinion. I don't see any "misquote" or "mis-respond", just a difference of opinion. You're "unabashedly THRILLED", he's "cautiously optimistic".
    macrammer and PARamfan like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Some of us are just a little more hyped than in the recent past. Obviously no one really knows for sure what the future holds. If someone had asked me to bet on our division record last year prior to the season's start, I certainly wouldn't have bet we would have the best record within our division. No way! But, guess what?

During the Scott Linehan and Spags years I hoped for the best, and my hopes were dashed again and again. Things are decidedly different now. The acquisition of a real honest to God head coach with a proven track record, a new owner who opened up his checkbook for his new head coach and was willing to fund whatever was required to assemble a quality staff. A GM who seems to "get it" when it comes to evaluating talent. (Ok, duly noted that Pead and Quick haven’t set the world on fire yet, but they haven’t busted out either).

This year’s draft seems to have addressed obvious needs with some exciting young players, and while no one can predict the future, we certainly appear to have harvested some very talented kids.

There is a difference between "blind faith" and hope. My hopes in this instance are based on an extrapolation of what has occurred to date with our new owner, coaches, drafts, and veteran players. On that basis, I am extremely optimistic about our chances for further improvement. So yeah, I'll go for a glass of Kool-Aid, after all, I am not betting a million bucks, I'm just having a pleasant sip of sweetness.

I'm sure whiner & seasquawk fans are exited too with their acquisitions, and why shouldn't they be? On paper they appear to have done well too. However, we have Jeff Fisher and his staff, and that my friends is going to be the difference. It was last year, and will continue this year. You can bet that every team which is scheduled to play our division rivals this season, will be watching film of last season's Rams' games vs whiners, hawks, etc. It will be very interesting to see if Kreepernick and Russel W. can duplicate last year's performances now that opposing teams will be able to game plan more effectively.

Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic. In fact, if some of us Kool-Aid drinkers were forced to place extravagant bets, we might fall into the "cautious" category as well.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -05-14-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't see pessimism at all in NJ's response, which he ended with "Cautious OPTIMISM is the term that best describes my outlook for the 2013-14 Rams." He laid out the positives, and then presented the realities of getting too excited before anything meaningful has happened (see 2011 Philadelphia Eagles "Dream Team").

As far as starting his own thread, should he have to? You started a discussion about how you see the coming season, and posed the question, "I ask you, how can you not be flat THRILLED about next season. Seriously, unabashedly THRILLED.", and he responded with his opinion. I don't see any "misquote" or "mis-respond", just a difference of opinion. You're "unabashedly THRILLED", he's "cautiously optimistic".
    Actually, I started a post about how I see the current management, which has only been in place 15 months. And guess what, I've (as we all have) been disappointed in the past as well, which was pure and simple a function of clueless regimes, which tempered my enthusiasm. Again, the point was (is) that BASED ON THE LAST 15 MONTHS, we all have a lot less reason to base future expectations on the last ten, (or even thirty) years.

For example, when 24 players that were on the roster when Fisher took over, are not only not on the team opening day, but not even playing in the NFL, it's obvious that someone who knows what he is doing is in charge, which simply had not been the case previously.

I did go on to predict good things for this season, and that is debatable, but the base premise above simply is not.

As far is misquoting, he said I belittled SF, (in a sour grapes fashion), which was flat BS.
    (I'd be lying if I said I was not envious of their cap situation, but there were no sour grapes involved).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast