Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: WOW...just Wow.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: WOW...just Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    As far is misquoting, he said I belittled SF, (in a sour grapes fashion), which was flat BS.
    (I'd be lying if I said I was not envious of their cap situation, but there were no sour grapes involved).
    Fair enough, and I'm sure NJ will respond to that issue.
    Curly Horns likes this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1971 View Post
    You guys in the US must be buzzing, I must say I am pretty excited for the forthcoming season and I will only get to see highlights and maybe three TV games during the season on SKY.

It's a shame that the Rams were here at Wembley for the International Series game last year as I reckong they could have won a lot more fans over to the cause if they had been coming this year. Never mind it was my first opportunity to see the Rams in the flesh and I'm glad I took it.

It looks like I might be over in the US from late August to mid September but will be on the West Coast (Seattle to Yellowstone to Yosemite to San Francisco) so I might get the opportunity to see some of our matches whilst out there. Any guidance on where to watch NFL matches on TV woudl be gratefully accepted.

You Rams!!!!

Cool Tiger. Enjoy your trip.

All preseason games will be on "the NFL Network". Not positive, but only broadcast of that station is Channel 212 on DirecTV. Unfortunately, most aren't aired live... so you'll have to check the NFL Network's listing of when they'll air the game and watch it then. Couple of the games last year were aired in the middle of the night.

As for regular season games, you'll be in Seahawk and ****** country most of the time. So the primary NFL broadcasts will be heavy in Seahawks, ******, and Raiders. So you may have trouble (as I do since I live in CA) finding any Rams games on the main networks (ie nbc or fox). CBS primarily shows AFC games. For example, the Rams first game is an afternoon game here because they play AZ Cardinals... but the ****** have a home game against the Packers that same time. Trust me, every fox station on the west coast will air the ******/Packer game and the Rams game will not be aired locally.

So, my best suggestion is to find a sports bar that has the "NFL Sunday Ticket". That means, they'll have access to every single game... not just the free broadcast; which again, will probably be a local team or some "big name" team like the Cowboys Eagles or Steelers. Usually a place that has the NFL Sunday Ticket means it'll be a hotbed of all kinds of random fans scattered around 10 tv's showing a bunch of different games. Search the smaller tv's first... that's usually where you'll find the Rams game.

cheers!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm always filled with mixed emotions when it comes to the Rams. On the one hand, I am encouraged by the improvement shown last season and the leadership provided by Jeff Fisher and members of the front office. It is clear there is a plan in place and they are sticking to it. They were fiercely competitive for much of last season, and I fully expect that to continue. This team is a far cry from the inept, hopeless club of just a couple of short seasons ago. I'm firmly convinced better days lie ahead, and we're headed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the season.
    I agree with this 100%!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

And speaking of '99, we were flat ROLLING, IIRC, until we had to play the Titans. And the SB itself was WAY closer than any of us expected.
    Have to disagree with you on that one. After the too close for comfort NFC title game against the bucs I was concerned. I was worried we would somehow blow the opportunity like we had in so many playoff years of the past. Now SB36 was a different story. I actually expected to win that one, go figure.

As far as the rest of your post I love the passion and enthusiasm. Right now I'm a bit more tentative. I'm sure as soon as the eve of the season approaches I will get the fever. It never fails!

P.S.
    Your signature graphic is quite awesome!!
    Last edited by Curly Horns; -05-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP
    Don't see the conflict, but no big deal. They did beat us in the regular season.

Love to take credit for the sig, but I got it from someone who does that kind of thing.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

I agree with this 100%!
    So did I, till he kept going. ;-)

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

I know everyone's excited this time of year, but between last year's improved play, and this year's incredible draft, I'm as pumped as I've been in 50 years, (other than '99 of course, but even that, great as it was, was somewhat of an aberration). Fisher, (and Snead and Kroenke, but Fisher's the driver), is building a team the right way, which team will be scary competitive for the next however many years he's here, which I expect to be a long time.

I ask you, how can you not be flat THRILLED about next season. Seriously, unabashedly THRILLED.

Oh...one more thing. Do you honestly believe Kroenke is going to ever let Fisher, Snead and/or Demoff ever walk? And why would they? Dynasty is way to strong a word, but they are building a Patriot-Steeler like organization that will at minimum, be competitive for the next 10-20 years. (Man, am i getting carried away, or what?)

And just to backtrack a little, in '14 and '15 when three years of great drafts are all going to Hawaii every year, SF and SEA are going to have to actually pay their QBs.
    Congratulations on finally getting and Owner/HC/GM combination that is both competent on on the same page! Seriously. We have that in Seattle after many years of not having it, and it makes all the difference in the world. The Rams are a team on the rise, and they're being built the right way IMO.

You might hear a lot of talk about the Seahawks and the Digits, but trust me, we're not looking past the Rams. The NFCW is going to be a slobberknocker fest, and I think it's quite possible that it will send three teams to the playoffs.

And yeah, I'm not looking forward to financial impact of paying Russell Wilson, Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, etc. But don't think we won't be sending players to the Pro Bowl in '14 and '15 -- the Seahawks have been drafting pretty well, too.

It looks like I might be over in the US from late August to mid September but will be on the West Coast (Seattle to Yellowstone to Yosemite to San Francisco) so I might get the opportunity to see some of our matches whilst out there. Any guidance on where to watch NFL matches on TV would be gratefully accepted.
    If you are going to be in Seattle on August 29, the Raiders will be playing the Seahawks for the final preseason game. I know you're a Rams fan and the Seahawks are your rival, but it would be a good chance for you to experience a whole game-day event. And because it's preseason, getting tickets should be easy.

The Rams game starts two hours earlier, so you could watch the first half in a nearby sports bar before entering the stadium. You could even finish watching the Rams game in the stadium if you want to -- there are TVs monitoring all the games.

If you can't make it to the game, or choose not to, but still want to see the Rams play, there are quite a large number of sports bars in the region where you can not only watch the game, but wear your Rams stuff and not feel too out of place.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

So did I, till he kept going. ;-)
    I didn't say YOU mocked SF and SEA, Vegas. My point is that OTHERS HAVE done just that in various prior threads. They've belittled their efforts in a misguided attempt to make us look good. We can't conveniently dismiss the efforts of our division rivals just because we don't like them. On paper, both improved and both are better than us- the operative phrase there is "on paper". Hopefully, that changes. While it is expected we will all support the Rams and what potentially lies ahead for us, it is a mistake for anyone to either minimize what others within the division have done or belittle their approach.

Much like in a new marriage, a new regime doesn't mean we automatically erase scars from the past. It takes time- A LOT of time. Yes, we look forward to better days and are hopeful that the decisions made by Fisher- a guy I fully supported and called for to be our next coach- will pan out and lead us to the Super Bowl. But that doesn't nullify 20 years of bad football over the past 25 years. People who expect everyone to just "turn the page" expect too much from the die hard Rams fan- at least they're asking way too much of me- a guy who has liked them since I was a kid in the 70's. Until this team has a winning record and becomes consistently good, I will not fill my posts with a lot of pie-in-the-sky proclamations. If others choose to, that's their business.

Confidence in guys we know very little about or have unproven track records is misplaced. Quick catching 1 TD pass last year with no one within 20 yards of him is not enough for me to think he's going to be a world beater this year. Pead's extremely limited productivity doesn't engender tremendous confidence in me thinking the guy is gonna' be great in 2013. This doesn't mean I'm not hopeful about them being productive players and being contributors this season and beyond, but IT DOES mean "cautious optimism" is the approach I'm going to take. Rams brass or Jeff Fisher saying "so and so is gonna be good" isn't enough. It's coachspeak- something all good coaches use when speaking publicly about a player.

And categorizing our draft as "a great one" is premature. I like what we did- especially with the Tavon Austin move, and if last year's draft is any indicator, we probably selected a few good players this past April. But as always, a wait-and-see approach must be taken.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

By the same token, I have lived through countless disappointments involving this ballclub- losing records, unfulfilled promises and untold heartaches, and cannot get sucked into the "we're gonna' be great" proclamations. I have NO IDEA if this draft will be good. I have NO IDEA if some of the young talent which is being heavily counted on will pan out favorably. I cannot get overly giddy about the Quicks and the Peads and the other young skill position guys until I see tangible results and reason to feel like they will be part of the solution. That isn't negativity, that's realism. I do not have blind faith in people.
    While I agree with much of what you said, the part quoted above is where you and I differ.

Of course there is uncertainty. Of course there are no guarantees. But, to the extent that Rams fans are "giddy" these days, where's the harm?

If the young players fail, and the Rams falter along with them, it will be painful for Rams fans. That will be the outcome regardless of whether one enters the season with "giddy" expectations or "cautious optimism."

I'm not about to make wild predictions regarding the Rams' record and playoff potential in 2013, but I am willing to consider the "what ifs" associated with the bulk of the recent moves working out as well or better than expected. That's what makes this fun for me.

Think of it like a lottery ticket. When you buy one (and, for the record, I only do so once in a blue moon), what do you do? Do you calculate the odds of winning, or do you play the "what if" game?

I've played the "what if" game at the start of every NFL season for over 30 years. I've often ended up disappointed, but I've never regretted that approach.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course there is uncertainty. Of course there are no guarantees. But, to the extent that Rams fans are "giddy" these days, where's the harm?

If the young players fail, and the Rams falter along with them, it will be painful for Rams fans. That will be the outcome regardless of whether one enters the season with "giddy" expectations or "cautious optimism."
    Bingo !!! Succinct and spot on ..

get rid of SKY and spend your money on Game Pass, then you can watch every single Rams game, live.

You guys in the US must be buzzing, I must say I am pretty excited for the forthcoming season and I will only get to see highlights and maybe three TV games during the season on SKY.

It's a shame that the Rams were here at Wembley for the International Series game last year as I reckong they could have won a lot more fans over to the cause if they had been coming this year. Never mind it was my first opportunity to see the Rams in the flesh and I'm glad I took it.

It looks like I might be over in the US from late August to mid September but will be on the West Coast (Seattle to Yellowstone to Yosemite to San Francisco) so I might get the opportunity to see some of our matches whilst out there. Any guidance on where to watch NFL matches on TV woudl be gratefully accepted.

You Rams!!!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While I agree with much of what you said, the part quoted above is where you and I differ.

I'm not about to make wild predictions regarding the Rams' record and playoff potential in 2013, but I am willing to consider the "what ifs" associated with the bulk of the recent moves working out as well or better than expected. That's what makes this fun for me.

Think of it like a lottery ticket. When you buy one (and, for the record, I only do so once in a blue moon), what do you do? Do you calculate the odds of winning, or do you play the "what if" game?

I've played the "what if" game at the start of every NFL season for over 30 years. I've often ended up disappointed, but I've never regretted that approach.
    Points well taken, AV. I guess I sometimes am slow in letting the battle scars heal from past disappointments. Believe me- I hope like crazy these guys all pan out and I can come back at a later date and say "Gee, I sold these guys short- they really ARE good players. And I'm sure you'll hold me to it....
    AvengerRam and MauiRam like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Points well taken, AV. I guess I sometimes am slow in letting the battle scars heal from past disappointments. Believe me- I hope like crazy these guys all pan out and I can come back at a later date and say "Gee, I sold these guys short- they really ARE good players. And I'm sure you'll hold me to it....
    NJ, I truly resonate with your thoughts. I too have the battle scars that keep me more cautious in my enthusiasm.......Can't wait to see how this all comes out for our Rams this year.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

WOW...just Wow.

Could you imagine (perhaps that was the original thought behind thread) if all of them did pan out? If the potential of all these young bloods was met?

Offensively-
    We have every potential player-type within the ranks. Av, I believe had started a thread classifying/nick-naming some of the WR's. It's exciting.
    Speed-A-plenty and size (shifty lil squirts to big, physical specimens) too! The RAMS may be armed with guys that could possibly win the war in the trenches! Did I really just say that? Pick your back for whatever the situation. Sam would have ridiculous (Madden-like) stats and a trip to Hawaii. Wow is right!

Defensively-
    The Rams have the whole D-line coming back w/ Brockers smothering the run allowing Quin/Long plenty of pass rushing downs. Finally, linebackers, not linebacker. The Rams can match up with powerful offenses? Have I transitioned onto another plane of existence? JJ will be sharing a cab with Sam at the airport. Finnegan, tenacious. Johnson should holdout for champagne in the locker room. Safety? I'd like a safety blanket to make feel warm and cozy.

Special teams-
    They could/will be special. Return threat? Cannon-leg won't know what to do; kicking on the other side of the 40. He could also be confused why it only counts for 1pt.

I'm having the koolaide tap installed next week! I'm a realist (see past decade), but every now and then can't we dream a lil?
    C-Mob 71 likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

It's not a dream.
    Give Martz his due, but it was Warner. (Didn't do so well with Bulger, did he?)
    Give Shanahan his due, but it was Elway.
    (Post Elwa - zippo. Pre RG - zippo)
    Belicek pre Brady - zippo.

Bradford is smart, talented, and can make the throws. He is going to get that extra 1/2 - 1 second, is going to have SPEED receivers who can SEPARATE, and ( don't hate me) RBs who can find a hole, and who don't trip when someone blows on their feet.
    Trust me. Y'all have no idea what you're going to see in September. And October. And November. And December. You won't believe it.

And you're welcome to quote this post back to me in January (NJ).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast