Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

WOW-The Rams have made some poor decisions

Take a look at this lists of free agents since 2001 and tell me we haven't made mistakes in the free agent market. I wonder who to blame for this? I can not honestly think of one player that the Rams have picked up in the free agent market that has helped this team since 2001.

Troy Edwards
    Kyle Turley
    Jamie Duncan
    Kim Herring
    Rex Tucker
    Dexter Coakley
    Matt Willig
    Chris Johnson
    Chirs Claiborne
    Chris Chandler
    Terrence Wilkins
    Corey Ivy
    Rolland Williams
    Joey Goodsped

THIS IS AN UGLY LIST!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: WOW-The Rams have made some poor decisions

I think ivy helped the team, as did goodspeed. I also think turley helped A LOT before he got hurt. Who knows what would have happened if the injury hadnt killed both turley and the team.

That being said, i do think that your point is correct, our free agent signings havent made an impact.

One point. We havent had a lot of money to play with. We have focused on resigning our own guys, and i dont think you can eliminate that consideration.

Wasnt marc bulger a free agent signing? I think that one worked out pretty well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Take a look at this lists of free agents since 2001 and tell me we haven't made mistakes in the free agent market. I wonder who to blame for this? I can not honestly think of one player that the Rams have picked up in the free agent market that has helped this team since 2001.
    Well, normally you would blame the Director of Pro Personnel, whose job it is to cover scouting of athletes on other professional teams...Oh wait, that's right...we don't have one!

I agree that Turley was a contributor, albeit briefly. Some of the others weren't signed to be more than backups in the first place. The contracts for guys like Roland Williams and Joey Goodspeed were probably near veteran minimum, so it's not like these were all huge free agent contracts. Still, point taken.

bigtiger737 Guest

Guys this was under a diffrent coach time to look forward with our new rams and new head coach

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Turley and Chris Johnson were acquired via trade, not free agency. I agree that Ivy and Goodspeed contributed. The Rams haven't done a great job scouting and bringing in good free agents, but keep in mind that with a solid nucleus already in place with this team - a group that likely has accounted for quite a bit of the cap space - the Rams haven't always been in a position to go out and spend money on the best free agents available.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I still don't think Turdly did a damn thing for this team. It took him 8 weeks into the season to even to get on the same page as the rest of the line, and then all he did was run at the mouth. I have NEVER been a fan of his.

My point with some of these other signings (ie Ivy, Goodsped, Johnson {no matter how acquired}) is that they were tonly here long enough to fill a void, no one actually made the team as a roster starter or were ever valuable enough that they couldn't be replaced.

I agree we have focused a lot of free agent money on the core players, however even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while.

I think we have always been in a good position to spend money, however we have chosen to go after quantity instead of quality. And with our poor drafting and the lack of depth that the picks provided, we ended up having to get depth through second rate talent in free agency.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -05-21-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Bulger was free agent signing prior to the 2001 season I believe. Along with A. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel

Wasnt marc bulger a free agent signing? I think that one worked out pretty well.

general counsel

bruce4life is offline Registered User

we traded for aenaes williams for a 2nd and 4th rounder in 2001. i think it was a sign and trade deal. turley was a sign and trade deal as well( we gave him a five year, 25million dollar deal)! yes the rams have made some mistakes but at the same time how many of the veterans we've picked up and had a serious injury while playing for us???? herring was a decent pick but he hurt himself pretty bad... duncan just sucked. coakley can still contribute for this team, marmie's system killed his palying time last year. clairbone too, he didnt have a chance to contribute. so its not just the people were bringing in, its the system as well

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Throw that list aside. I don't think Witherspoon, Chavous, Brown, Glover, or Freotte will turn out to be bad decisions (possibly Smith, but I expect good things out of him).

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, to the Rams benefit, the salary cap has been very tight for the Rams since 2001. Turley was the big addition and played well the year he was healthy, helping the Rams earn a home playoff game. Since 2001 Faulk, Warner, Pace, Bruce, Holt and Little all signed big contracts with the Rams.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737
    Guys this was under a diffrent coach time to look forward with our new rams and new head coach
    Different coach, but same FO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Isn't it amazing that a team that can't draft, does a bad job in free agency, and has had a madman for a coach still managed to make the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 seasons!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That was all IN SPITE OF Martz though Av and HUb. Don't you guys know anything? Martz is responsible for global warming, high gas prices, and Reality TV shows on top of being responsible for taking the Rams to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years as HC.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

How about letting Jerome " THE BUS " Bettis get away??

Drats !!!

:clanram:

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Throw that list aside. I don't think Witherspoon, Chavous, Brown, Glover, or Freotte will turn out to be bad decisions (possibly Smith, but I expect good things out of him).
    Yep, hard to believe that two recent pro-bowlers, one of the most coveted free agent defensive players and a solid QB with tons of starting experience will not pay some dividends.

If these decisions don't pan out, we're snake bitten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast