Reche Caldwell
    Eric Fowler
    Derek Stanley
    Brandon Williams
    Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Matt Caddell
    Shaine Smith

What possibilities are there that we can have the equivalent of 1999?
    Are there any possible trades on the board?

Reason for my concern is because of an article on ESPN that says our offense may suffer at the WR spot because of Holts knees and the departure of Isaac Bruce.
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -06-18-2008 at 09:57 PM.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Wr???

WoW! Don't fight to post! I haven't been gone that long, just a little diverted by the Lakers, but that's all over now.

Anyways thinking about this Avery could be like when Holt came into the league in 1999. Holt can be like Bruce, maybe Dante Hall like Horne or Hakim. Dane looker or Drew Bennette can do what Ricky Proehl did. Reche Caldwell can do a lot for us. I don't really see the scepticism. We are deep at TE.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Im sure Holt has been taking care of his knee and im hoping that its near 100% for this season, and if it is, even though hes lost a half step, he'll be great and return to 1300+ yards.

Bennett will put up much better numbers with a healthy hamstring, and he should be a good red zone threat and im sure Saunders will get him the ball. He is a proven reciever as we all know. last year everyone gets a mulligan. Him and Holt will be a top 10 threat in the recieving department.

Avery is a freak of speed. Everyone says he isnt a good route runner, but, ive heard hes is, im hoping hes at least average, and if so, i hope he can become even better and all that good stuff. This first year im predicting 650+ yards, 4-5 td's. I just pray he can adjust to Saunders playbook and complexity. Coming from Houston where they didnt even have a playbook and came up with plays as they went, theres no way we can determine if hes going to become a star until a couple years from now. We all know hes fast and i really think he'll become something really special in a year or two when he takes over Bennett's spot at #2 and hopefully, eventually, will be #1 Whenever Holt retires(which im hoping he'll do as a Ram).

Burton, as ive read(keep that in mind), might get more playing time then Avery until he can adjust to the playbook. Burton put up really good numbers at the combine and was a near the top in the field. We'll have to watch him these next couple of years and see if he's a good #2 in the future or if he'll just be a slot guy. Im hoping for the #2, hell, who knows, maybe he'll be our #1 some day, or maybe he'll be used just on special teams somday.

Dante Hall is getting older and is still an above average kick returner. He will still be our 3rd as burton and avery learn. Him, Avery, Burton and Stanley i think will all share kick/punt returns and special team plays. But i think more will go with Hall and Stanley.

Stanley will recive a little but i dont think anymore then last year. special teams is where he'll be mostly.

Hagans-Same as Stanley.

Dane Looker....Special teams.

Everyone else-Bodies.

Im sure im wrong on some of this, with Saunders coming in im sure theres gonna be some diffrent schemes going on.

I dont think we have bad wr's, they need to develop, and i think our current starters will hold up good.

Notice all the "i hope" i used. well.....I hope for the best.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -06-19-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: missed some words

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    1999 WR Roster
    1999 Roster
    Isaac Bruce
    Az-zahir Hakim
    Torry Holt
    Tony Horne
    Ricky Proehl
    Chris Thomas

And what we have at WR as of 06/10/2008

Torry Holt
    Drew Bennett
    Dante Hall
    Dane Looker
    Marques Hagans
    Reche Caldwell
    Eric Fowler
    Derek Stanley
    Brandon Williams
    Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Matt Caddell
    Shaine Smith

What possibilities are there that we can have the equivalent of 1999?
    Are there any possible trades on the board?

Reason for my concern is because of an article on ESPN that says our offense may suffer at the WR spot because of Holts knees and the departure of Isaac Bruce.
    That 1999 group had it all. A great combination of experience, speed and hands. We also had a decent o-line that allowed Kurt Warner that extra split second to find these guys. I will be blown away if our 2008 group even comes close to the GSOT gang.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Im sure Holt has been taking care of his knee and im hoping that its near 100% for this season, and if it is, even though hes lost a half step, he'll be great and return to 1300+ yards.

Bennett will put up much better numbers with a healthy hamstring, and he should be a good red zone threat and im sure Saunders will get him the ball. He is a proven reciever as we all know. last year everyone gets a mulligan. Him and Holt will be a top 10 threat in the recieving department.

Avery is a freak of speed. Everyone says he isnt a good route runner, but, ive heard hes is, im hoping hes at least average, and if so, i hope he can become even better and all that good stuff. This first year im predicting 650+ yards, 4-5 td's. I just pray he can adjust to Saunders playbook and complexity. Coming from Houston where they didnt even have a playbook and came up with plays as they went, theres no way we can determine if hes going to become a star until a couple years from now. We all know hes fast and i really think he'll become something really special in a year or two when he takes over Bennett's spot at #2 and hopefully, eventually, will be #1 Whenever Holt retires(which im hoping he'll do as a Ram).

Burton, as ive read(keep that in mind), might get more playing time then Avery until he can adjust to the playbook. Burton put up really good numbers at the combine and was a near the top in the field. We'll have to watch him these next couple of years and see if he's a good #2 in the future or if he'll just be a slot guy. Im hoping for the #2, hell, who knows, maybe he'll be our #1 some day, or maybe he'll be used just on special teams somday.

Dante Hall is getting older and is still an above average kick returner. He will still be our 3rd as burton and avery learn. Him, Avery, Burton and Stanley i think will all share kick/punt returns and special team plays. But i think more will go with Hall and Stanley.

Stanley will recive a little but i dont think anymore then last year. special teams is where he'll be mostly.

Hagans-Same as Stanley.

Dane Looker....Special teams.

Everyone else-Bodies.

Im sure im wrong on some of this, with Saunders coming in im sure theres gonna be some diffrent schemes going on.

I dont think we have bad wr's, they need to develop, and i think our current starters will hold up good.

Notice all the "i hope" i used. well.....I hope for the best.
    I'm just wondering where Caldwell fits in there. It'd be surprising if he weren't at least our #3. I'm betting he'll beat out Drew for the #2.

1st & Goal Guest

Going into camp everyones eyes will be on the O-line and with just cause. If everyone comes back injury free and can maintain it, then Jackson & Bulger will be very happy. After that the Wide Receivers will draw the most attention.
    Are Holt's knees OK?
    Were the leg injuries the reason Bennett had a down year?
    Will Avery show he deserved to be the first WR taken in the draft?
    Who will step up to fill out the rest of the roster spots?

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    I'm just wondering where Caldwell fits in there. It'd be surprising if he weren't at least our #3. I'm betting he'll beat out Drew for the #2.
    i Dont know why i didnt mention him. I really had thought i had, oh well. I dont think he'll beat Bennett out. as for being our #3. its possible, but i think if he is our #3, it wont last more then a year.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Don't forget that today's list is a camp list and hasn't been knocked down to fit the 53-man roster like the '99 group you listed was.

wow, talk about a disparity. the current wr corps really needs to step up. You can call it develop all you want, but this season is a couple months away and there's a whole big playbook to get accustomed to. I notice there are a lot of guys there that have been the #3's and #4 WR's on other teams and not top dogs, not to mention the fresh faced rookies. Even Bennett's time as a #2 was limited and arguably just as much a result of lack of depth on the Titans squad than anything else. I liked Bennett on the Titans, liked the Rams going after him (price tag a bit high tho), and like his speed and size on the team, but having no other option than him as the full fledged #2? Well, let's just say I feel about that the same way as our resident cynic TX probably does.

Bennett and someone else out of that group is really going to have to shine and keep opposing secondary's honest or else big bad SJ is gonna have less space behind the d-line with the db's flying in there and the Rams will get stuck with a lot of 3rd and 5+.

...And now for a message from the brighter side of life: As for the Rams #1 and slot wr's, i think it looks okay to be honest. they've got dependable Looker, speedy Avery, the Human Joystick, and now Caldwell to fill the #3 and #4 spots. Its that darned #2 spot that keeps looking at me with an evil eye. Bennett is good, and he's got the talent to be good enuf, the question is, will he act like he's got a pair and do it? This offense really needs Bennett to show up... no if's and's or but's about it. If he plays respectably, then my worry moves from the wr's to the LB's and the quality of depth. But this is supposed to be the brighter side, so i digress-

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    i Dont know why i didnt mention him. I really had thought i had, oh well. I dont think he'll beat Bennett out. as for being our #3. its possible, but i think if he is our #3, it wont last more then a year.
    If Drew is our #2 we most likely will be stiffled by defenses. Without a WR who can stretch the enemy we are once again a short yardage unit. At least Caldwell brings some speed to the #2. Drew is still living off his ONE good season.

And no, I don't think Caldwell is the answer to our problems.......just a better option at the 2 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    If Drew is our #2 we most likely will be stiffled by defenses. Without a WR who can stretch the enemy we are once again a short yardage unit. At least Caldwell brings some speed to the #2. Drew is still living off his ONE good season.

And no, I don't think Caldwell is the answer to our problems.......just a better option at the 2 spot.

you may be right skelley, but i think Bennett is a better #2 option then Cladwell. but regardless of that, neither really jump the gun. i really dont want either at #2, but thats all we got, and i rather have Bennett there personally. Our #2 is not in a good place right now.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Wow, we have very different views of what a #2 WR should be. In my mind the #1 is obviously your best receiver, and should be the guy taking two guys downfield with him and still catching the ball, and then being a monster if he's singled. The #2 guy is more of a possession guy, the one you can count on to make the catch for the first down, and at 6'5" with some sneaky acceleration and tackle breaking ability(on secondaries), Bennett fits that mold perfectly, so long as he's on the outside, and not getting killed by linebackers on two yard dumps, like last year.

As for speed, that's why we have the young burners who can scorch from the slot, namely Avery.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Wow, we have very different views of what a #2 WR should be. In my mind the #1 is obviously your best receiver, and should be the guy taking two guys downfield with him and still catching the ball, and then being a monster if he's singled. The #2 guy is more of a possession guy, the one you can count on to make the catch for the first down, and at 6'5" with some sneaky acceleration and tackle breaking ability(on secondaries), Bennett fits that mold perfectly, so long as he's on the outside, and not getting killed by linebackers on two yard dumps, like last year.

As for speed, that's why we have the young burners who can scorch from the slot, namely Avery.
    Let's see........Ellard #1/Flipper #2-Who was the the deep guy?

Fears #1/Crazy Legs #2-Sure handed/Speed speed speed

Bruce/Holt-They flip flopped so that's a push

But if you look back at the better WR duo's over the history, the #2 guy is most likely to be the speedster of the pair.

DistantRam Guest

I was thinking about our WR woes this morning and can't decide who will make the final 53-man roster. Much depends on special teams: if Avery and/or Burton can show some aptitude for returning, Hall's days must surely be numbered. Looker has to stay as holder... or does he? Can't we train someone else to do the job? My six to make the cut are:

Holt
    Bennett
    Caldwell
    Avery
    Burton
    Looker/Hall
    Last edited by DistantRam; -07-09-2008 at 04:40 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    I was thinking about our WR woes this morning and can't decide who will make the final 53-man roster. Much depends on special teams: if Avery and/or Burton can show some aptitude for returning, Hall's days must surely be numbered. Looker has to stay as holder... or does he? Can't we train someone else to do the job? My six to make the cut are:

Holt
    Bennett
    Caldwell
    Avery
    Burton
    Looker/Hall
    Looker was the holder for Wilkins, so maybe he won't be needed this year.
    I think our final WR roster will be like you have said. I can't think of a difference right now.