Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

WR Mark Clayton lost for the season

Rams WO Mark Clayton possiblly lost for season with Pattella Tendon Tear.
    21 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
    From 101 ESPN's Tony Softli's Twitter account.

UPDATE FROM POST-DISPATCH...

Clayton is out for the season
    BY JIM THOMAS Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:05 am

DETROIT Mark Clayton's breakout season had a breakdown ending. The Rams' leading receiver suffered a season-ending knee injury on the team's fifth offensive play of Sunday's 44-6 loss to Detroit.

When asked if the injury was season-ending, Clayton replied: "Yeah. I'm going to have to get surgery to get everything taken care of."

Clayton entered the game among the NFC leaders in receptions (22) and reception yards (300), and among the league leaders in catches of 25 yards or more (five). He caught a 6-yard pass from Sam Bradford on the Rams' first offensive play of the day a series that resulted in a three-and-out.

On the second play of the Rams' second series, Clayton streaked down the left sideline on a deep route. Defending for Detroit was cornerback Alphonso Smith, who was penalized for illegal contact on the play. But that contact took place earlier in the play and had no bearing on the injury. The injury occurred at the end of the play when Smith's legs got tangled up with Clayton's. Clayton tumbled to the turf and didn't get up.

His right knee was placed in an air cast right there on the spot, and Clayton was carted off the field with what coach Steve Spagnuolo said was a patellar tendon injury.

"I got kicked right in the knee," Clayton said. "And as soon as he did it, (the knee) was like so hot and I couldn't move anything so it knew it was pretty serious."

Clayton spoke while on crutches in the visitors' locker room, but if his spirits were down it was difficult to detect.

"Coming in here, my goal was to give them everything and everything that I had," Clayton said. "To me, it's God's will. And in that manner, there's peace, and joy, and comfort. So I'm all right, and I know everything will work out just fine."

In the Clayton's absence, Bradford threw 19 times to Danny Amendola, with Amendola catching 12 for 95 yards. No other Rams receiver caught more than three passes Sunday.

"I'd be lying if I said (losing Clayton) wasn't big," Bradford said. "I think everyone has seen what he's done for this offense the first four games of the season. So to lose him, it's definitely going to hurt. But him going down just gives someone an opportunity to step up."

Jackson's day

Steven Jackson posted his first 100-yard rushing day of the season, with 25 carries for 114 yards. Granted, 36 of those yards came on four carries on the Rams' final possession of the day when Detroit softened up its defense to prevent the big play.

Even so, Jackson ran hard all day and appeared to be less encumbered by his groin injury than last week, although still not 100 percent.

After the game, he took exception to a Detroit reporter's suggestion that the Lions' defensive front contained him.

"Their D-line didn't stop the run," Jackson said. "It's hard when you get behind by so many points to continue to go to the run like we would like to. But (Kyle) Vanden Bosch, and (Ndamukong) Suh, those guys, they did a great job of getting pressure on Sam, flushing him out of the pocket and things like that. But I don't want to give them credit for stopping the run."

Jackson now has 7,105 career rushing yards, leaving him 141 yards away from breaking Eric Dickerson's franchise record.

Other injuries

Backup tight end Darcy Johnson suffered a possible concussion. Right guard Jacob Bell also suffered what was termed a possible concussion, but Bell said in the locker room afterward that he was fine.

Cornerback Ron Bartell left briefly in the fourth quarter with leg cramps and a calf problem but returned for the next series and finished out the game. Running back Kenneth Darby finished the game with a sore shoulder and right tackle Jason Smith had a foot problem, but the extent of those injuries was uncertain.

Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson, whose second-quarter touchdown catch gave the Lions a 17-3 lead, left in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Re: WR Mark Clayton may be lost for the season

What do we do now? We just suck with these injuries

common is offline Registered User

Wow. Now Rams will have to use 3rd stringers for the whole season. What a difference... 43-3 loss to lions

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

bad news, i haven't seen a guy on this team ready to step up and contribute like he did in the first 4 games. i still want to see the te back from injury, i think he can help us but we need to find another receiver out there somewhere.

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................

Let's see if kronke has any balls and makes a move to keep our season alive

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is devastating news if true. Amendola had some moments today, but noboby actually stepped up at the WR position, or the TE position for that matter. Bradford lost his safety blanket today and it showed. Drops, fumbles and overal lackluster play really put Bradford behind the eight ball, and it doesn't look like there will be any relief in sight.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

wtf, this is terrible. he was off to his best season in his career, now this? why are all our receivers going down all the time

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

We will rally around Danny Amendola and we will play good football.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Stupid Rams receiver hating demon.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

They say torn patella tendon meaning 3-4 month rehab, not as bad a s ACL usually, and should see if he is healthy when he is FA, and can probably keep him cheaper now.

Still what horrific luck , now back to boring SHurmur 5 yard bubble screen passes over and over. Gilyard now gets his shot
    Barry Waller

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    We will rally around Danny Amendola and we will play good football.
    Haahaha great quote!!!!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Gilyard now gets his shot.
    ROFLMAO. Dude can't even line up properly. It appears the playbook is completely beyond him.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -10-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    They say torn patella tendon meaning 3-4 month rehab, not as bad a s ACL usually, and should see if he is healthy when he is FA, and can probably keep him cheaper now.

Still what horrific luck , now back to boring SHurmur 5 yard bubble screen passes over and over. Gilyard now gets his shot
    Has Gilyard learned the playbook? He did a lot of zigging to Bradford's zagging today.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Gilyard seems like he's more interested in putting beads in his hair than learning correct routes.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Clayton's injury looked alot like Wes Welkers last year, just a freak injury for sure. The Rams can't buy a break! Mardy Gilyard is going to get his shot huh? We may be better off to see if the "Reverend" has anything left in the tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast