Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wrist surgery for Gilyard and other surgery updates

Wrist surgery for Gilyard
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Wide receiver Mardy Gilyard has undergone surgery to repair a nagging wrist injury that bothered him even before he was drafted by the St. Louis Rams.

"He had it when he came here," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I think he had it in Cincinnati."

Gilyard was a fourth-round draft pick last April out of the University of Cincinnati, and from the earliest days of spring minicamp and practices the wrist appeared to bother him.

"He battled the thing all season long," Spagnuolo said. "He had to put that little brace he had on it."

The surgery took place in mid January, with pins inserted in the wrist, and the wrist placed in a cast. Team medical officials hope Gilyard will be available for minicamps this spring, but want to make sure he takes the proper time to make sure the wrist fully heals.

At least four other Rams underwent surgery since the end of the season, most of which were minor procedures:

_ Cornerback Ron Bartell had a bone spur removed from his foot.

_ Linebacker Chris Chamberlain had calcium deposits cleaned out of his ankle.

_ Defensive end Chris Long had surgery to repair a late-season thumb injury.

_ Cornerback Jerome Murphy had surgery to repair a late-season finger injury. The pins that were inserted during surgery have already been removed.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Wrist surgery for Gilyard and other surgery updates

About time he revealed something about his regression. Though he could've informed us about this earlier rather than let the controversy spark. Though I still have my doubts that he hasn't been learning the playbook quite well yet.

MACD is offline Registered User

Hmmmm....explains the patience they've demonstrated with Gilyard I'd say.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

I know they say minor, but still... Ouch. 50% of the life of an NFL player is spent on the operating table, it seems.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, true. Many NFL players enter the body work shop at this time for repairs of all sorts. // I trust the wrist surgery on Gilyard will leave him ready and able to reach his potential in 2011; much reahab, training are in order, of course.

All the best for this Rams receiver.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Finally they shed some light on what has been going on with him...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, that explains it; obviously his wrist was in too much pain to turn the pages in his playbook. Poor kid never got past the table of contents.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

Gilyard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Williams was taken 2 picks later !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Gilyard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Williams was taken 2 picks later !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hindsight is 20/20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well, that explains it; obviously his wrist was in too much pain to turn the pages in his playbook. Poor kid never got past the table of contents.
    This HUb, is unbelievably hilarious....I shed a tear reading this.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I guess it shows hes a tough kid, not tweeting his struggles so every one feels sorry for him, even though he knew every fan was painted crosshairs on his back. i initially had him on the cut list ..... maybe not.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    I guess it shows hes a tough kid, not tweeting his struggles so every one feels sorry for him, even though he knew every fan was painted crosshairs on his back. i initially had him on the cut list ..... maybe not.
    I would have thought the same thing although his problem was LEARNING the playbook not not being able to perform. I am sure it had a little bit to do with catching balls and what not, but damn, at least study.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Amazing that a wrist injury could cause so many problems, especially with route running. If Gilyard does indeed get a reprieve here, he needs to take full advantage and get his act in gear.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I would have thought the same thing although his problem was LEARNING the playbook not not being able to perform. I am sure it had a little bit to do with catching balls and what not, but damn, at least study.
    An article with Devaney sheds some light .. but im in no way excusing him, but there are two sides to every story.

"Got in here late. He needed to be here. Got behind the 8-ball. Was way behind and hurts his wrist. That sets him back even more. And those (other) guys started playing. Laurent (Robinson) got healthy; (Brandon) Gibson got healthy. So it was hard for Mardy."

Gilyard reported late because Cincinnati's senior class didn't graduate until early June. And just when it looked as if Gilyard might become a contributor on offense, he suffered a hamstring injury against San Diego that kept him out of the Tampa Bay game the following Sunday.

After so many starts and stops, Gilyard finally reached a point where it was impossible to catch up. "It's really hard," Devaney said. "When you're getting ready for games, it's hard to spend that much time getting a guy caught up."
    Amazing that a wrist injury could cause so many problems, especially with route running. If Gilyard does indeed get a reprieve here, he needs to take full advantage and get his act in gear.
    Yeah i never played Football, only played Rugby & Rugby League, but wrist injuries are sh*t, i broke my wrist walking a fence when i was 11, but it would hurt all the time when playing, your cuts arent as sharp and your hands are a little too soft catching the ball. but it depends on how bad his wrist was.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Yeah i never played Football, only played Rugby & Rugby League, but wrist injuries are sh*t, i broke my wrist walking a fence when i was 11, but it would hurt all the time when playing, your cuts arent as sharp and your hands are a little too soft catching the ball. but it depends on how bad his wrist was.
    I was actually being sarcastic. A wrist injury could affect catching balls, but knowing where to be on the field?? And if the wrist injury was so bad it was affecting his entire game, why didn't he just get the surgury taken care of during the season?

I like Gilyard and loved what he did at Cincinatti, but he can only be coddled for so long. Next year he'll be healthy, with an entire year in the NFL under his belt. As long as the CBA doesn't grind everyrhing to a halt, Gilard needs to put up, or go home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast