Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wrist surgery for Gilyard and other surgery updates

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well, that explains it; obviously his wrist was in too much pain to turn the pages in his playbook. Poor kid never got past the table of contents.
    Your'e a bad, bad man.

Don't ever change.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This implication that Gilyard was just sitting around playing Halo Reach every night and not studying or trying to learn his playbook is probably jumping the gun a bit. Unless I've missed something, we really have no idea how hard he was studying.

Maybe he was slacking, or maybe he was trying his best but it just hadn't clicked. Could be either, but to those that criticize him for not knowing enough to get on the field, that didn't seem to be an issue early in the season when he made receptions four weeks in a row. But then his hamstring injury took hold, and thus he was pushed off of the gameday roster as others got healthy.

I'm not trying to make excuses for a disappointing year, but when you consider all of the factors, the picture is a bit more complicated than what many are painting. I do agree with Mike, though. He has a year under his belt and hopefully will be able to participate in all of the offseason programs, so he needs to make some progress going into 2011.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This implication that Gilyard was just sitting around playing Halo Reach every night and not studying or trying to learn his playbook is probably jumping the gun a bit. Unless I've missed something, we really have no idea how hard he was studying.

Maybe he was slacking, or maybe he was trying his best but it just hadn't clicked. Could be either, but to those that criticize him for not knowing enough to get on the field, that didn't seem to be an issue early in the season when he made receptions four weeks in a row. But then his hamstring injury took hold, and thus he was pushed off of the gameday roster as others got healthy.

I'm not trying to make excuses for a disappointing year, but when you consider all of the factors, the picture is a bit more complicated than what many are painting. I do agree with Mike, though. He has a year under his belt and hopefully will be able to participate in all of the offseason programs, so he needs to make some progress going into 2011.
    Even those few weeks were he had receptions he had trouble knowing where to line up having to get others to show him where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even those few weeks were he had receptions he had trouble knowing where to line up having to get others to show him where to go.
    Obviously he still had some issues with the complexity of formations and routes, but the point I was making is that it wasn't a big enough issue to sideline him earlier in the year. He was still able to get on the field. Therefore, it's hard to believe it was the sole cause of his inactivity later in the year as well.

That's why it's inaccurate (IMO) to just say he didn't get on the field because he couldn't learn the playbook. Yes, his inability to master the playbook probably played a role, but reducing it down to that simplistic of an answer ignores the role that his injury played, as it kept him off the field while allowing others to start to emerge.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    This implication that Gilyard was just sitting around playing Halo Reach every night and not studying or trying to learn his playbook is probably jumping the gun a bit. Unless I've missed something, we really have no idea how hard he was studying
    Nick, I was just being fasitus.....fascitios....facishus.....a smart-a, with my line about the wrist and his playbook. I'm sure the kid studied. However, there was an air of uncertainty that radiated from Gilyard through TVs to Ram fans all over the world. I'm not saying the kid wasn't working at it, but I don't think it a stretch to say his grasp of the playbook is not a top shelf skill just yet. Plus I don't think Halo Reach was even out last fall, was it? (Again with the smart-a)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nick, I was just being fasitus.....fascitios....facishus.....a smart-a, with my line about the wrist and his playbook. I'm sure the kid studied. However, there was an air of uncertainty that radiated from Gilyard through TVs to Ram fans all over the world. I'm not saying the kid wasn't working at it, but I don't think it a stretch to say his grasp of the playbook is not a top shelf skill just yet. Plus I don't think Halo Reach was even out last fall, was it? (Again with the smart-a)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I chuckled at your post. Yours wasn't really the post I was responding to. I agree that Gilyard's inability to master the playbook contributed to his disappointing season, but we have to keep in mind he came in late and didn't exactly come from a college offense that facilitated an easy transition. And again, his troubles with the playbook weren't severe enough to completely keep him off the field earlier in the year, so I think when it came to being inactive later in the season, the bigger issue was likely his hamstring injury and the other players who passed him by while he was sidelined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I chuckled at your post. Yours wasn't really the post I was responding to. I agree that Gilyard's inability to master the playbook contributed to his disappointing season, but we have to keep in mind he came in late and didn't exactly come from a college offense that facilitated an easy transition. And again, his troubles with the playbook weren't severe enough to completely keep him off the field earlier in the year, so I think when it came to being inactive later in the season, the bigger issue was likely his hamstring injury and the other players who passed him by while he was sidelined.
    Absolutely. Much like Avery (and theoretically Alexander, but he somehow did pick it up rather quickly; I digress) Gilyard's college system wouldn't have assisted his transition. Couple that with the late start and physical issues would have truly crippled his rookie campaign. And as you said with Gibson coming on, and Alexander gaining some amount of healthy knees, Gilyard was behind the 8-ball, as it were. Hopefully an off-season with two healthy wrists turning pages off the field and catching on it will help him enough to contribute.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My son plays Halo Reach and, while this is perhaps due to the fact that I grew up with a far simpler Atari 2600, I can't imagine the Rams' playbook being more complicated than that game!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Maybe they should create the playbook in Madden, i bet after 14 hours of "studying" he'll be a seasoned Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Maybe they should create the playbook in Madden, i bet after 14 hours of "studying" he'll be a seasoned Vet
    I coached a sorority team in college (yea, I know, me and 20 sorority girls....tough gig, right?), and that's exactly how I did it. Our plays looked amazingly similar to that year's Madden plays.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My son plays Halo Reach and, while this is perhaps due to the fact that I grew up with a far simpler Atari 2600, I can't imagine the Rams' playbook being more complicated than that game!
    I was thinking the same thing. I watch my neices and nephews play complicated video games, and the way they make quick decisions and go through progressions with what seems like thousands of options, I'm amazed. Like you Av, I can't imagine any playbook being more complicated.

It's not rocket science and is all about practice and repetition, always has been. Mardy just needs to go to work.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I watch my neices and nephews play complicated video games, and the way they make quick decisions and go through progressions with what seems like thousands of options, I'm amazed. Like you Av, I can't imagine any playbook being more complicated.

It's not rocket science and is all about practice and repetition, always has been. Mardy just needs to go to work.
    Unfortunately, what is not rocket science to us is brain surgery to some of these guys who play pro football. Not exactly shining examples of higher education. I agree 100% that it's about studying and repetition- two qualities essential for success.

Kind of the perfect storm for Mardy this season- late arrival to camp, multiple nagging injuries and an inability to fully grasp the complexities of the offense. In one's rookie season, some things can be forgiven, but next year the bar is raised and more is expected. With this less-than-stellar group of wideouts we have, he'll have every opportunity to step up and show something in year two or he'll be gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12