RamWraith is offline Registered User

Write Martz's evaluation here

Thought it would be fun for everyone to do a mid-year evaluation on Coach Martz. As he always seems to be the one who takes all the heat for this team.

You must us all aspects of his job:

-Coaching decisions on the field
    -Coaching decisions off the field
    -Personnel management (coaches)
    -Personnel management (players)
    -Recent draft picks
    -Offensive play calling
    -Staff hiring's/firings
    -Media

The last area is: Way's Martz can improve his job. How could things be handle differently the second half of the season.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Write Martz's evaluation here

-Recent draft picks
    -Offensive play calling
    -Staff hiring's/firings
    -Media

Wow, that's scary. When you break each facet down, I think he's been really below average at all of these.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

1. Coaching decisions on the field have been ok so far this year. It's all according to the circumstances. Tries to go deep against the Falcons and has Bruce open but Pace, of all people, gets beat at the wrong time. Goes for the jugular against Seattle and begins running the ball more starting with the whiners and fans in Rams Nation are estatic. Then, blows up in Miami and the nay sayer flood gates open again.

2. Off the field, don't care.

3 and 4. How can you question his personnel management? Put his foot where Steven Jackson needed it in the offseason and the results speak for themselves. Stands by his players/coaches in the media. This may be one of his finer points.

5. Recent draft picks is again just ok. Not real pleased with his selection of Thomas, the inability to get an O lineman, or late secondary choices. However, Jackson looks like a winner and Pickett and D. Lewis have stepped up this year.

6. Not sure about the staff hirings/firings. I think it's still too early on Marmie.

7. Media can kiss my backside as far as I am concerned.

Remember though.......

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sometimes he looks brilliant (game-tying drive against NO, whole SF 1st half, 4th Quarter of AZ game, last 8 minutes of Sea game), and other times he doesn't (Cleeland end-around, 3rd & 28 in Miami, Aaron Stecker sets career mark), but IMO this has been his best year for on-field decisions. He just doesn't seem as "lost in space" as he has in the past. He's even shown glimpses of learning from his mistakes, which is all that I've ever asked from the tenure of a head coach

He hasn't got himself arrested for anything, and these days that's about all you can hope for with anyone associated with the NFL

Marmie is not the answer. I think he has some quality in his position coaches (Kollar, Matsko, Ellard, Montgomery), but, on DC, Marmie has not made a good impression on me, and, on OC, does Fairchild even exist?

The players seem to like him and there haven't been any talk of a mutiny, so sounds good enough for me.

-Recent draft picks
    2004 - Jackson, Hargrove & Chillar were steals
    2003 - Kennedy IS going to be worth a 1st round pick, Pisa, Curtis & McDonald were all solid picks, and Tercero with a 6th round pick was the best value of that 2003 draft
    2002 - Thomas is the 2nd worst Martz pick (outdone only by Trung), Fisher was a good pick, Gordon could have gone either way (you can't always predict injury), and then of course there is the Eric Crouch thing (not even going there)
    2001 - Arch, Pickett & D-Lew were great picks, if they had gone in the 2nd round. They're all solid, but not 1st rounders. The rest of the draft was average.
    2000 - absolute waste

-Offensive play calling
    As he becomes more balanced, his offense becomes more dangerous. And I believe that as Jackson builds a little trust with Martz, he will see more and more time opening up the rest of the attack.

-Staff hiring's/firings
    At the end of this season, Marmie needs to go

-Media
    You don't work for them, Mike. Tell 'em to take a long walk off a short pier. They all think you're an idiot anyway. Prove 'em wrong on Sundays.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Then, blows up in Miami and the nay sayer flood gates open again.
    Hey, I didn't say a thing last week...

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Remember though.......

Remember what?
    This space for rent...

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ok, y'all....this could take awhile to read.....lol

Coaching decisions on the field: 3

Comments: Need to continue working on balanced attack during the games. This is improving, and needs to continue. Utilization of rookies in various schemes is good, developing them for their future. Clutch decisions need some fine tuning. Forcing very long-shot odds field goals instead of giving opponents extra opportunities to run extra plays will almost always bite you in the butt. Paying attention to the scoreboard won't hurt, either. I do like the catch phrase "Fast and Furious", but it would be even better to work on backing up the talk. Need to work on playing a complete 60 minute game, not 20 minutes of play after 40 minutes of roll over and play dead. Doing a better job of managing timeouts and challenges.

Ideas to think about:

I would suggest watching a high school or college Cross-Examination Debate tournament. Those folks have to think on their feet all the time in order to come up with the best arguments and be able to back it up right then and there. This will help with clutch decision making. I would also suggest bringing in a professional boxer to help with some footwork on defense. This will help with speed and agility.I have seen a lot of foot dragging on the defensive side of the ball, and this could help address that issue.

Overall: Improving, but not quite there yet.

Coaching decisions off the field: 4

Comments: No specific complaints right now.

Personnel management: 4

Comments: Very good job utilizing young players. I like the pace at which each is developing. Players believe in you, which speaks volumes. However, Marmie is the weak link. It is time to re-think his status at the end of the year. I hear Dave Wannstedt might be available soon. His team might have only won one game, but they have given up less points. Something to stew on.

Recent draft picks: 4

Comments: I love Steven Jackson. That was a great move bringing him here. Seem to have a good eye for young talent. Hargrove looks good, and Chillar is great when used right. We did need offensive lineman, though.

Offensive play calling: 4

Comments: We need to keep working on balanced attacks, and incorporate a few more trick plays to stay fresh and keep opponents from being able to predict our next move. See also "Coaching decisions on field".

Staff Hirings/Firings: 4

Comments: Marmie needs to go. Remember, you are the Head Coach. He is not. If you are or are becoming uncomfortable with his style or philosophy, take your defensive veterans and remind them of what made them so successful this time last year. Did I mention Wannstedt might be available?

Media: 4

Comments: Need to keep emotions in check a little better when play calling comes under fire. I know it is hard to do, but snapping at everyone will only make you look like "Mad Mike". Does an amazing job defending his personnel. I would hire him as a defense attorney on any given Sunday.

Overall: 4

Comments: If suggestions are taken seriously, "Fast and Furious" can become a reality.