Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    moklerman Guest

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    If only the '06 draft was an isolated incident in Rams history. Is it really that tempting to reach on a player instead of taking a guy that you know what you're getting?


  2. #32
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams basically put a ceiling on what Klop can do for them by replacing him in the starting line-up with McMichael.
    But that's just the point: Namely, if Klop actually possessed the talent that goes with being a 2nd round pick, then HE should be the starter and McMichael should be his back up or a 3rd down receiving specialist or what not. And, btw, it's not the Rams that put the "ceiling" on Klop, it is simply a reflection of his own talent level or lack thereof. Therefore any ceilings that the Klop possesses was placed there by himself.

    Also, are you going to make the same argument when A. Becht takes even more playing time away from Klop? This begs the question: why can't Klop beat out a low level street free agent that has played for a number of teams already? And did Klop end up as the 3rd string tight end because of the Rams actions or his own?

    WHAT SAY YE?

  3. #33
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,921
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    But that's just the point: Namely, if Klop actually possessed the talent that goes with being a 2nd round pick, then HE should be the starter and McMichael should be his back up or a 3rd down receiving specialist or what not. And, btw, it's not the Rams that put the "ceiling" on Klop, it is simply a reflection of his own talent level or lack thereof. Therefore any ceilings that the Klop possesses was placed there by himself.

    Also, are you going to make the same argument when A. Becht takes even more playing time away from Klop? This begs the question: why can't Klop beat out a low level street free agent that has played for a number of teams already? And did Klop end up as the 3rd string tight end because of the Rams actions or his own?

    WHAT SAY YE?
    So Klop after ONE season (the next season we got Randy) should be at the same level or better than a Randy McMichael and Randy should be the backup to Klop? That's a bit unrealistic don't you think? How about giving some time to let guys develop, no matter what round they are drafted in.

    Obviously Randy, a proven vet is better than Klop in his second year. So what's Klop supposed to do? He has to bide his time, work on his game and hope he catches a break to show he has improved.

    When the Rams see a TE as good as Randy out there and all they have is a couple of one year guys Klop and Byrd, the obvious choice is to grab Randy unless Klop showed he was an All Pro TE in his rookie year. How many players show they are that good in their first and second years? Not that many. So the Rams put the ceiling on Klop by bringing in Randy.

    Becht is here to block, he is a proven vet who is a very good blocker. So Klop probably won't beat him out, but again Klop hasn't had the playing time to try and improve because the Rams keep finding proven vets. Should Klop be as good a blocker as Becht with the amount of playing time and experience he has? I say no, not yet. Give the kid some time.

    I'm not even that big a fan of Klop, but I can't start writing him off because he just hasn't had the opportunities on the field or experience due to the vets.

  4. #34
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,800
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Right before I read this story, I read in another thread that Haslett said that Wroten needed to step it up this year, or he'd be gone. At least, I believe he said it was Wroten.

    Well, I decided to do the math on this situation:

    2006 draft - 1 year suspension + (d) X cash spent on draft pick = D3 (D cubed), or as Carlos Mencia says, the guy's a Dee Dee Dee! He knows there's a high (pun intended) chance of getting caught, yet he still does it.

  5. #35
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,859
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    ...A year?!? Are you kidding me!?!

    Get rid of him FOREVER! AAAARGH!!! JUST FIRE HIM N O W !


    BTW, that takes care of one man less to worry about, roster wise.
    It r-e-a-l-l-y irks me to see that CW might be reinstated one year from now! "°Ay, ay ay!"

  6. #36
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I simply cannot fathom the stupidity of puffing away that much talent.
    I couldn't have said it better. It is incomprehensible to me how a guy could throw away such an opportunity for fame, fortune, and glory. And for what? Weed?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    But that's just the point: Namely, if Klop actually possessed the talent that goes with being a 2nd round pick, then HE should be the starter and McMichael should be his back up or a 3rd down receiving specialist or what not.
    I disagree. McMichael is a very good tight end. He was never a Gonzalez/Gates level player, but more in the realm of Alge Crumpler while he was in Miami. The point is he might be a top ten tight end in the league. If you think that a young guy who is playing well will automatically unseat the veteran, I would present Larry Johnson of the Priest Holmes years as exhibit A in the defense.

  7. #37
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    20,399
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I'm heavily taking into account what pick we used
    I don't care if the guy was picked fifth overall, in the fifth round, or in the 50th round - if he does nothing for this team, which Hagans basically hasn't, then it was a bad pick IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    But that's just the point: Namely, if Klop actually possessed the talent that goes with being a 2nd round pick, then HE should be the starter and McMichael should be his back up or a 3rd down receiving specialist or what not.
    So you're arguing that it's Klopfenstein's fault for not being good enough after one season to beat out a proven near Pro Bowl caliber veteran? It strikes me as incredibly unrealistic to expect a one-year pro tight end to start over an experienced veteran of six years, a guy who was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2004 after gaining nearly 800 yards from scrimmage.

    The fact that Klopfenstein was one of the most productive rookie tight ends in 2006 shows he has the talent. That really shouldn't be in dispute at this point. The Rams simply did not expect a player of McMichael's caliber to become available in free agency. So they signed McMichael even though they had a young guy they liked at the position because McMichael represented an upgrade. That shouldn't be seen as a knock against Klopfenstein's talent but as a testament to the caliber of player McMichael has already established himself to be in the NFL.

    Imagine the fan response if the Rams had passed on adding a player of McMichael's caliber because they'd just devoted a second round pick to a tight end. Fans would be livid at the Rams for putting draft pride over improving the team's overall talent.

    Obviously Becht is going to see his time on the field because we need a blocking specialist at tight end, and neither McMichael nor Klopfenstein fill that role. But it should be pretty obvious that so long as the Rams have Randy McMichael, there is only so much Klopfenstein is going to be able to do on the field. His opportunities are limited because the Rams went out and signed a talented veteran during the '07 offseason.

    I really don't see how one can make the case that Klop himself limited his own opportunities. Again, he was one of the top performing rookie tight ends in 2006. He showed up as a rookie and played better than most other from that class, but the Rams simply saw an opportunity to add a great veteran.

  8. #38
    skelley Guest

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    If only he hadn't been such a Phillips fan...............

  9. #39
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Wroten Suspended For A Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So you're arguing that it's Klopfenstein's fault for not being good enough after one season to beat out a proven near Pro Bowl caliber veteran? It strikes me as incredibly unrealistic to expect a one-year pro tight end to start over an experienced veteran of six years, a guy who was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2004 after gaining nearly 800 yards from scrimmage.

    The fact that Klopfenstein was one of the most productive rookie tight ends in 2006 shows he has the talent. That really shouldn't be in dispute at this point. The Rams simply did not expect a player of McMichael's caliber to become available in free agency. So they signed McMichael even though they had a young guy they liked at the position because McMichael represented an upgrade. That shouldn't be seen as a knock against Klopfenstein's talent but as a testament to the caliber of player McMichael has already established himself to be in the NFL.

    Imagine the fan response if the Rams had passed on adding a player of McMichael's caliber because they'd just devoted a second round pick to a tight end. Fans would be livid at the Rams for putting draft pride over improving the team's overall talent.

    Obviously Becht is going to see his time on the field because we need a blocking specialist at tight end, and neither McMichael nor Klopfenstein fill that role. But it should be pretty obvious that so long as the Rams have Randy McMichael, there is only so much Klopfenstein is going to be able to do on the field. His opportunities are limited because the Rams went out and signed a talented veteran during the '07 offseason.

    I really don't see how one can make the case that Klop himself limited his own opportunities. Again, he was one of the top performing rookie tight ends in 2006. He showed up as a rookie and played better than most other from that class, but the Rams simply saw an opportunity to add a great veteran.
    ...Sigh...I guess we are going to have just disagree on this one.

    All I know is that the Klop started his first year with the Rams, was demoted to second string back up last year, and this year is primed to be possibly the 3rd string back up to the 2nd string back up who is Mr. Becht. At this rate I'm guessing next year he'll be the 4th string back up to the other 3 tight ends; that is if we even keep 4 TE's on the roster (Klop better hope Linny's TE infatuation continues). Of course, that is if he even makes the team.

    WHAT SAY YE?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Gordo Live, Monday, March 3rd
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
  3. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
  4. Thomas' chat 9-4-07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -07-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •