View Poll Results: Which WRs won't be back in 2011? (You may vote for multiple selections)

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danario Alexander

2 1.50%
  • Danny Amendola

0 0%
  • Donnie Avery

26 19.55%
  • Mark Clayton

5 3.76%
  • Brandon Gibson

41 30.83%
  • Mardy Gilyard

64 48.12%
  • Laurent Robinson

114 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which WRs will be the odd men out in 2011?

Right now, there are seven primary candidates for the (max) 6 WR spots on the Rams 2011 roster. They are, in alphabetical order:

Alexander, Danario
    Amendola, Danny
    Avery, Donnie
    Clayton, Mark
    Gibson, Brandon
    Gilyard, Mardy
    Robinson, Laurent

Additionally, the Rams are likely to be active in seeking new WR talent through FA and the draft.

Which of the current 7 players do you think will NOT be back in 2011?

(You can vote for multiple options)

Re: Which WRs will be the odd men out in 2011?

I have to say, this was tougher than I thought it would be.

Alexander - unless he has another significant knee injury, you have to bring him back.

Amendola - he stays. What he brings to the table is unique and valuable.

Avery - depends on how well his rehab goes, but if he comes back 100%, his speed would be a big asset. Tough to let him go.

Clayton - the Rams would have to sign him, so there's a financial issue here. Still, if he can be secured for a reasonable price, you have to like his chemistry with Bradford.

Gibson - here's a guy I could see go. His production has been okay, but I don't see a ton of upside here. Still, he's only a second year player, so perhaps he still has room to improve.

Gilyard - he's been a disappointment, no doubt, but how do you give up on a guy like him after one year?

Robinson - he's come on a bit in recent weeks, but I think he has to earn his way back.

In the end, I voted for Gibson and Robinson, though I won't be shocked if only 4 of the 7 return.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Here's how I see it

Alexander - been too productive to let go. Brings that threat that we have been lacking. Can he stay healthy is the question

Amendola - Wes Welker v2.0 enough said

Avery - he may be speedy, but I just don't think he has the hands go match. Has had health issues before, tough for my to give him a spot

Clayton - had a great chemistry with bradford for a guy that was brought in right before the season. very productive.

Gibson - shown flashes. When he's great he's great, but when he's bad he looks terrible. Can he find consistancy is the question? I think he plays out the rest of his contract but is going to be on the fence when it comes to making this team

Gilyard - rookie. enough said. let's give him a chance to have some significant playing time before we make a conclusion

Robinson - been productive recently, but is that because of his skill or because we are forced to play him and bradford is making him look good? Don't see much value in keeping him. His past injuries won't help his case.

I voted for Robinson and Avery to go. Although I wouldn't be shocked if gibson and clayton were behind them. I think the FA is going to be taking a serious look at the receiver situation come free agency/draft time

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think Robinson and Gibson are gone and obviously Avery and Gilyard are on the bubble. Amendola, Clayton and Alexander should be locks to return.

Obviously this all depends on if we draft a receiver and if we sign a FA receiver. I would like to see how AVery can produce with a decent QB and line.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Kind of shocked to hear how down people are on Avery, he has been hurt, can't wait to see him and Bradford play together. Avery is not going to be our number one but Avery in the slot can be a weapon for sure. Another surprise is Gibson, he has dropped some balls for sure but has played well enough to earn a spot. Gilyard just is not picking up the offense and still looks lost maybe next year he starts to understands what we are doing, he has to prove himself. Clayton is a must sign he will be are number one unless we get a huge signing next year in FA and not sure that will happen. I voted Robinson not sure what happened we had high hopes for him.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If Alexander can stay healthy and produce at the level he did against the Broncos and assuming all hurt players return to full strength I think are starting line-up will be...

Alexander
    Clayton
    Amendola
    Avery
    Gibson
    Gilyyard

Robinson is my odd man out unless he improves past Gibson. He is a free agent and it would just be to easy to let him walk right now.

Again if Alexander stays healthy and produces (Big IF) I think you will not see us go after a receiver in free agency or the 1st couple of rounds of the draft. More than likely we will focus on other needs and get another experiment in later rounds.

I actually would not be upset with this.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Gilyard could be one and done here. He doesn't offer enough on special teams, and while I like the man, if he cannot produce, he will be gone ...

Alexander
    Clayton
    Amendola
    Avery
    Gibson
    Robinson

Screw drafting a WR. Fill the other needs. With the growth occuring in our very solid TE group, I feel we need a true WCO RB more than anything ....

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Screw drafting a WR.
    Seriously? You don't think the Rams need to try to find a WR who can put fear into opposing defenses?

I caution people not to rely on Danario Alexander too much. There's no question that the guy can play, but can you really rely on his knees?

I can understand waiting until Round 2 if the top guys are gone when the Rams pick in Round 1, but I don't buy that the Rams should just "stand pat" at WR.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Gilyard, if he still is lost at this point in the season, will he ever learn?

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I say two out of these three are gone: Gibson, Robinson, Gilyard

I really want to keep giving Gibson a lot of chances though, i love this guy but way to inconsistent

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

This was definitely tough, especially since I think we go WR in the 1st round.
    I said we would keep Alexander, Amendola, Clayton, and Gibson. Amendola is really the only easy choice on the list. Alexander is a total wild card, we'll find out in the final games alot better where he stands. It's hard to say based on like 2 games, but he looks pretty darn good.

I like Gibson because he seems to run well after the catch. There's some plays I didn't think we had a first down but he made someone miss.

Starting next year with Clayton and Avery with Alexander on the bench would be too much health risk for me.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Seriously? You don't think the Rams need to try to find a WR who can put fear into opposing defenses?

I caution people not to rely on Danario Alexander too much. There's no question that the guy can play, but can you really rely on his knees?

I can understand waiting until Round 2 if the top guys are gone when the Rams pick in Round 1, but I don't buy that the Rams should just "stand pat" at WR.
    No, I don't think they NEED to. I've see steady improvement in the WR corp each week. No way in hell this team goes WR in round 1, maybe in round 2 ...

How many WR's in this league do you think truly have DC's up late up night?

WR is one of the most difficult positions to draft and this team can win without a superstar WR. There are much more important needs to fill ...

No, I don't think they NEED to. I've see steady improvement in the WR corp each week. No way in hell this team goes WR in round 1, maybe in round 2 ...

How many WR's in this league do you think truly have DC's up late up night?

WR is one of the most difficult positions to draft and this team can win without a superstar WR. There are much more important needs to fill ...
    I'm unconvinced.

If the Rams end up drafting in the 20s (which could happen), the BPA concept may push them away from WR in Round 1, but they need to improve the talent at that position.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

No way in hell this team goes WR in round 1, maybe in round 2 ...
    The only 2 things I could see us skipping WR for is a pass-rushing DE or an elite guard. A first rounder on a backup running back just seems so high when our receivers have been changing this whole year.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I agree this is the big question mark. One more missed game due to injury and I would be reluctant to count on him as a #1 next year but if he stays healthy, finishes out the season and stays productive near the 100 yards per game receiving.... I think he will have earned the spot and we can focus on other needs.

DA is the big IF that will sway our next off season moves.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast