View Poll Results: Which WRs won't be back in 2011? (You may vote for multiple selections)

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danario Alexander

2 1.50%
  • Danny Amendola

0 0%
  • Donnie Avery

26 19.55%
  • Mark Clayton

5 3.76%
  • Brandon Gibson

41 30.83%
  • Mardy Gilyard

64 48.12%
  • Laurent Robinson

114 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Which WRs will be the odd men out in 2011?

I have the bottom 3 being the odd ones out. The only question mark for me is Gilyard since he is young. Is the practice squad a viable option for him? Dream scenario for me is to keep the top 4, sign Sidney Rice, and draft Justin Blackmon (if he comes out).

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm unconvinced.

If the Rams end up drafting in the 20s (which could happen), the BPA concept may push them away from WR in Round 1, but they need to improve the talent at that position.
    they most definitely need to improve at wr and drafting a wr early is a must. Infiniti talks about going after a rb like you can't get a premier rb late in the draft.

The fact that people are actually suggesting we rely on Avery, Clayton, Robinson and especially Alexander is crazy. What happens if all four get hurt again(it's very possible) and we are stuck with Gibson, Amendola and Gilyard?

Dropping Robinson is a must imo. He's injured way too much and even when healthy he's just average. We can find another average receiver who can play all 16. Have Avery, Clayton, Alexander and Amendola compete for the 1-3 spots but drafting a top receiver is essential. If our receivers weren't so injury prone I'd be fine with keeping the same corps but you can't have 3 of your top 4 receivers be injury risks.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think drafting a WR in the first round is highly likely. Especially if AJ Green or Julio Jones fall in our laps. We need a playmaker. If you think that this wide receiver corp is good enough, thats ignant. The NFL has turned into a pass oriented league. It helps whenever the QB has a lot of players around him. But the QB needs that go to big play WR.

Drew Brees - Marques Colston
    Matt Ryan - Roddy White
    Michael Vick - DeSean Jackson
    Eli Manning - Hakeem Nicks
    Aaron Rodgers - Greg Jennings
    Peyton Manning - Reggie Wayne
    Tom Brady - Wes Welker/ Branch (don't kid yourself, either of these guys would be #1WR on our team)
    Matt Shaub - Andre Johnson
    Matt Cassel - Dwayne Bowe
    Philip Rivers - Antonio Gates
    Joe Flacco - Boldin/Mason
    Ben Roethelsberger - Ward/Wallace

And that is just teams that are in contention. Even teams that suck have those number 1 WRs making plays. Example: Calvin Johnson, Miles Austin/Dez Bryant, Vernon Davis, Larry Fitzerald, Ochocinco/T.O...on and on and on

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I definitely think Robinson will be 1 of the WR's we let walk. The other may be more a financial consideration. If we choose to go after Sidney Rice as a FA and perhaps Julio Jones falls into our laps (AJ Green will likely be gone by the time we select), then you're investing way too much at the WR spot. Of course getting a rookie wage scale will factor into the equation as well. Based on those facts I think Clayton may be gone. Alternatively, we could keep Clayton and lose Gilyard for reasons associated with learning the playbook.

My ideal would be to have Alexander (reliably healthy of course), Amendola, Avery, Clayton, Gibson and Julio Jones. The slot WR's will be Amendola and Avery and the others will have to be Split Ends (no not hair related) and Flankers. I'm not sure how our list breaks down in that way. Regardless, it's an enviable position to be in and I'd rather be in this spot that where we've been recently. We were spoiled for too long with "Ike" , Torry Holt and for a brief stint Az Hakim. IMO, the best WR trio in the NFL for our game plan. Thanks Martz.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -11-29-2010 at 04:24 PM.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Robinson and Gilyard. Thats who I'd drop. I think the only way we don't draft a receiver in the first 2 rounds is if we sign a premier FA. Someone like VJax or Sidney Rice. I think as far as potential AND production go, it wouldn't be that difficult to replace either of the above players. I think Amendola's production in the slot has made Gilyard less valuable, and he's doing nothing to help himself, and Robinson is a FA and there's really no need to peruse him

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Most likely we will carry 6 receivers so here is how i see it:

Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander are the 2 locks and the 2 that will defiantly stay

We must keep Gilyard there is a reason we drafted him with this regime and we must give him time to develop.

I think we target a big #1 WR in the off-season either FA, trade, or draft.

So we have 4 WR and 2 battles:

Mark Clayton vs. Donnie Avery

-If Clayton doesnt command a huge paycheck he has more experience with bradford so i think he has the upper hand.

Brandon Gibson vs. Laurant Robinson

- pre-season battle

SavageRam is offline Registered User

I chose Avery, Gilyard, and Robinson to make room for the Rams new draft picks and probable FA pickups next year.

Although, Danario's paper mache knees still give me great concern for his future... he has such huge upside if he can stay healthy... he's one of those wait-n-see's.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Danario Alexander is similar to the top 4 WR's coming out this year. The size, hands, leaping ability, speed, athleticism, big play ability, it is all there. He just needs to stay healthy.

To me, I loved what I saw in Laurent Robinson last year. He looked like a break-out star. But then he got injured, and has never looked the same. I think if he doesn't step up for the rest of the season, he's gone.

To me, cutting Mardy Gilyard depends on one thing. If we are going to draft a WR in the top 2 rounds in this year's draft, I would not mind cutting Gilyard. Yes, I know we got him for a 4th round pick, but if we are adding a top WR to the team, it makes Gilyard very expendable. Plus, he hasn't contributed at all in special teams. If we do not add a WR in the draft or FA, I say we keep him.

Adding Sidney Rice would be nice, but I'd prefer just drafting a guy like Floyd, Baldwin, or Jones. I would trade up to get Green, but that's probably not going to happen. So I see this as our depth chart next year:

Split-End (#1): Jones / Baldwin / Floyd / (Free Agent Pick-up)
    Flanker (#2): Alexander / Clayton
    Slot (#3): Amendola / Avery
    #4: Gibson

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Gilyard has to go. He may have been highly thought of by our scouts but if he can't catch on to the playbook by now, there's a problem. By contrast, Clayton produced immediately and so has Alexander. The WR position is not that complex.

I'd also let Robinson go. We need play makers at the WR position. Staying healthy is part of the equation.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For my money, we'll lose at least two, potentially three of the current rostered WR's. Right off the bat, I think you have to keep Mardy Gilyard. If we're in the routine of giving our rostered WR's the chance to shine, as we appear to be, then I think it makes sense to cut some of the other players who have more or less had (and surrendered) their chances.

For me, that's Donnie Avery, Laurent Robinson and probably Brandon Gibson as well. All three have shown flashes, but I think it's safe to say that none of them have really truly taken their game to the next level.

That's not to say that they can't be contributors. All of them, given ample opportunity, have shown the ability to come in and contribute. The problem that I have with our current WR core is that everybody is a contributor. That probably seems like a funny thing to say, but what I mean is that we have seven guys who can all be successful in a supporting role, but there's not one guy who has proven to be a difference maker in the way that Steven Jackson is or Chris Long has become on defense.

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is picking the best four contributors and doing your best to add that one difference maker in the offseason. For all intents and purposes, you have to think that Amendola and Clayton (if he's re-signed) are safe. Amendola has shown something in the slot that we haven't had since Ricky Prohel and Clayton was a bona fide possession receiver before he was hurt.

Barring further injury, the next slot goes to Alexander. At the moment, he's the closest thing this team has had to a deep threat in a number of years. I'd like to think he'll develop into a guy who is good for at least one big play for us every game in forthcoming seasons.

Like I said earlier, if we're going with four WRs and adding a fifth in the offseason, I think the final spot is Gilyard's to lose. I don't really see much in the argument of which WR5 will better serve our team - that's more or less what we're debating here. All four (Gilyard and the cuts) purport to be able to come in and contribute, so I don't really mind which one survives. I just think that if we're going to continue giving out chances to our WR's ... Gilyard hasn't really had his yet.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

I think that Gibson and Robinson are done. Amendola, Avery, and Clayton get automatic passes for next season because they are the most productive receivers here. No matter what happens with Alexander concerning his knee, there is no way we give up on him after half a season. Gilyard has been disappointing, but I think he has at least one more year to prove himself. I still feel like he has some potential. Gibson and Robinson have trouble getting separation, and they really aren't super at anything. Good role players on an injury-riddled team like we have now, but they are gone next year.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I think it is important to remember though...

How much better will a WR be in the 3rd round over Brandon Gibson, Donnie Avery, Mardy Gilyard etc.

And yes they may offer more upside in the future, but by how much as beside robinson all of the WR's are 26 years old or younger that are on the bubble imo)....

Then take that difference and is it worth NOT drafting a DL, OL, LB, or Defensive Back in the 2nd to 3rd round, where we have recently drafted players like JLau, Saffold, Jerome Murphy - although granted those were higher picks in the round, but point being we all know the talent to be had at those positions in the early rounds.

IMO if we cannot grab one of the top 4 wr's in the draft I believe it is worth it to simply resign clayton, and have a WR core of next year of...

Clayton, Amendola, Avery, DX, Gibson, Mardy.....with maybe a FA signing over Gibson.

I would rather see us draft one of the top 2-3 guards in the draft in the mid 2nd round. Or DL to opposite CL or a LB to play with JLau

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Drew Brees - Marques Colston
    Matt Ryan - Roddy White
    Michael Vick - DeSean Jackson
    Eli Manning - Hakeem Nicks
    Aaron Rodgers - Greg Jennings
    Peyton Manning - Reggie Wayne
    Tom Brady - Wes Welker/ Branch
    Matt Shaub - Andre Johnson
    Matt Cassel - Dwayne Bowe
    Philip Rivers - Antonio Gates
    Joe Flacco - Boldin/Mason
    Ben Roethelsberger - Ward/Wallace

And that is just teams that are in contention. Even teams that suck have those number 1 WRs making plays. Example: Calvin Johnson, Miles Austin/Dez Bryant, Vernon Davis, Larry Fitzerald, Ochocinco/T.O...on and on and on
    Attn: Sidney Rice Fans.

Let's have a proper look at this list.

With the exception of the Baltimore tandem, Wes Welker and Terrell Owens, Every Single Player on the list above is playing for the team that drafted them. If we're adding a #1 WR next year, I'm hoping that we don't go to the Free Agent pool.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm unconvinced.

If the Rams end up drafting in the 20s (which could happen), the BPA concept may push them away from WR in Round 1, but they need to improve the talent at that position.
    I think we could probably get a fairly good receiver in rd 2. I'm partial to Floyd myself but he also may be an injury risk.

It's true that you can win without a top wr but you can also win without a top de, top rb, top lt and on and on. That doesn't mean the ideal situation is not having one.

Having a big deep threat, like Alexander, who can stay healthy would be a huge acquisition for our offense. It makes it easier to run the ball, makes it easier for the slot receivers and te's to get open and makes it easier to catch up when down.

We have our foundation and now it's time to add some playmakers. Although it there was a great dt or cb available where we pick I wouldn't mind taking one of those either. Either way I think we go wr by round 2, at the latest.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Attn: Sidney Rice Fans.

Let's have a proper look at this list.

With the exception of the Baltimore tandem, Wes Welker and Terrell Owens, Every Single Player on the list above is playing for the team that drafted them. If we're adding a #1 WR next year, I'm hoping that we don't go to the Free Agent pool.
    Your point is very true, but I must burst your bubble with Anquan Boldin. No doubt you make a valid point that receivers and QB's are raised together not put together like individual components.

Go Rams!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast