View Poll Results: Which WRs won't be back in 2011? (You may vote for multiple selections)

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danario Alexander

2 1.50%
  • Danny Amendola

0 0%
  • Donnie Avery

26 19.55%
  • Mark Clayton

5 3.76%
  • Brandon Gibson

41 30.83%
  • Mardy Gilyard

64 48.12%
  • Laurent Robinson

114 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: Which WRs will be the odd men out in 2011?

I don't know why people are so down on Avery. He's only going to make around 500,000 next year and he has so much talent. This is also the first time he's had an injury problem, and it was a fluke. He can play in the slot and as a flanker, and is a good deep threat.
    Gibson has played well and he's steadily improving. He's really young too and I'd like to have him as a depth guy (6th receiver).
    Clayton's chemistry with Bradford and his influence with the younger guys have to get him back, just at a cheaper price than this season.

For me the wide receivers next year should be:

Sidney Rice or a high round draft pick
    Avery
    Clayton
    Alexander
    Amendola
    Gibson

Laurent Robinson just doesn't offer anything better than the guys above and he almost has a worse injury record than Danario.
    Gilyard can come to camp next year and try to win out a spot. I hope he does because he has the talent, his mind just hasn't clicked in.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My locks:

Amendola
    Avery
    Clayton

My Probables:
    Gilyard (special teams player..Amendola can't do it all forever)
    Gibson

Questionable:
    Alexander (knee issues)

Out:
    Robinson

Very hard for me to put Gibson ahead of Alexander but what good is talent that can't be utilized.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The way I look at it is this: the NFL stands for Not For Long and is absolutely about what have you done lately? Therefore, if players have not synced with Bradford, they will be gone.

Under this guideline, two, probably three are locks. Amendola, Clayton and Alexander. Clayton for his great chemistry until he got hurt, and Alexander for what continues to be a growing relationship. Due to his knees, though, I'd list him as the #4 WR at best. Amendola, no questions I assume?

Avery and Gilyard are the bubble guys. Avery gets a pass due to his 2nd round draft standing, and overall good ability, leading to his presumptive hold on the #2 WR spot going into next year, with Amendola in the slot and Clayton #1. Gilyard gets a full offseason to prove himself.

Robinson and Gibson are the failed trade experiments and get the boot at some point, at best they get taken to training camp and then cut. Robinson is doubtful though, as he's a free agent.

I see us bringing in a 1st-2nd round WR in the draft, especially if he's 6'3" or taller, to go along with our rather short WR corps(Clayton 5'10'", Avery 5'11", Amendola listed at 5'11", I don't believe it. DX is 6'5".). Also, I see us being able to pick up a 2nd tier WR free agent at a reasonable cost if we so choose. We're a team on the rise with a very long potential window(given that Bradford is a rookie!), which will make us very attractive to FA's.

So, I see us having Clayton, Amendola, Avery, Alexander, highly drafted WR, role playing FA WR at the minimum going into next year.

Also, I really don't like Sydney Rice. He blew up at Favre's #1 target for one season. If he doesn't produce good numbers to finish off this year, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Too much bust potential.
    I believe!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

for what it`s worth i know a fair few Vikings fans used to call Sidney Rice, Cindy before his big year...well we`ve already had Barbie do we really want Cindy too..

who is the odd man/men out?

it`s a tough one..everyone of them offer something the optimistic of us can hold onto with hope..but with 3 of them having an extensive history of injuries it may not be wise to have so many potential IR`s going into a season.

maybe we could put Gilyard on the Practice Squad? is not like he don`t need the Practice..

as for additions...we should always be looking for potentially better players but i have more confidence in our wideouts (including Clayton and Avery in that) than i do in say..the OLB,RG,SS positions.

in the draft we gonna just have to go BPA at a position of need in the top rounds and with nobody really having much of an idea of where exactly we are gonna be picking it`s too early to make that call. if we pick in the late 20`s tho, there isn`t many positions i would role out taking there..QB.OT,C,MLB,TE,FB.P,K & LS and that`s it if the right guy for the team came along at any other position, i would take him.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -11-29-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

On Robinson, a lot of people don't realize the guy is suddenly starting to come on because about two weeks he finally started to feel close to 100 percent for the first time since his injury. As a result he's ade some big grabs in the last couple of games and shown he has value as a possession guy. He's not an automatic "gone" and the battle at receiver is more intriguing then some here suggest. Gibson has suddenly become much more reliable inthe past 3-4 weeks and is a consistent target for Bradford. Avery returning to the mix next year will make receiver a nice camp bbattle for next year. But thats next year. W're still in the playoff huny baby and i find myself looking forward to some December ball for the first time in 6 years.

itsguud is offline Registered User

The only two that are safe at this point (IMO) are Alexander and Amendola. I think everyone will have to fight for a spot. Clayton will be a lock if we get him with a good contract.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I caution people not to rely on Danario Alexander too much. There's no question that the guy can play, but can you really rely on his knees?
    Agreed.

The only guy I think for sure is gone is Robinson. Gibson's probably gone, and I think Alexander and Gilyard may be fighting it out for a roster spot of their own.

Also, this team needs to draft a high quality wideout. To reiterate, it is the height of insanity to spend the money we spent on Bradford and then surround him with a bunch of dime-a-dozen servicable, but not great wideouts.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Denario Alexander is the biggest question mark at this point, but I bet we know the answer by the end of the season. Without a doubt he could be an elite reciever, but I don't think we can rely on him. Which means that the Rams need to plan as if he will not be a contributer.

In that case I would argue that getting a FA WR is the best route to go, because we honestly don't need another roll of the dice reciever in the draft. We need a known quantity. I am not saying we pay someone 10 million a year, because I think a good but not great FA would probably help Bradford alot. I would be for keeping Avery to fight for a roster spot, but one should not be held for him. Other than Amandola, make everyone else fight for a roster spot and may the best one win and the dead weight get cut.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I don't know why people are so down on Avery. He's only going to make around 500,000 next year and he has so much talent. This is also the first time he's had an injury problem, and it was a fluke. He can play in the slot and as a flanker, and is a good deep threat.
    If you'll note, Avery missed time in '08 with injuries and was hampered by niggling injuries for the entirety of last year. It was widely cited by many in the press as the reason for his poorer performances last year. In my opinion, that's a less-than-stellar resume for injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Also, I really don't like Sydney Rice. He blew up at Favre's #1 target for one season. If he doesn't produce good numbers to finish off this year, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Too much bust potential.
    I'm with you on this one. I'm not going to slap him with a Drew Bennett sticker just yet, but I'd be very wary of signing him to a huge contract at the close of the season if he doesn't show up for the Vikes as the season winds down.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Agreed.
    Also, this team needs to draft a high quality wideout. To reiterate, it is the height of insanity to spend the money we spent on Bradford and then surround him with a bunch of dime-a-dozen servicable, but not great wideouts.
    I could not agree with you more. In an ideal world, the best player to fall into the Rams' lap next April is A.J. Green. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of the Rams moving up to select him if he slides a little. In my opinion, he's exactly what the doctor ordered, and we'd be foolish not to take a run at him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It is tough to predict, but I had to go with Robinson and Gibson as the odd men out. In this scenario, I'd assume we would add one big name receiver from the draft (or free agency) and carry a total of five receivers on the active roster including Amendola, Alexander, Clayton and Avery. Gilyard might wind up on the practice squad.

Why those two?

Gibson has been fairly reliable as a straight possession guy, but the more we've had to rely on him, the lower his yards/catch average has gotten. He's the type who strikes me as perfectly adequate as a pro but not a hair more than adequate.

Robinson just isn't showing the promise he did when we first signed him. In 2009, he only played in 3 games but averaged 12.8 yards/catch with a long of 45 yards (with another reception for 50 in the preseason). In 2010, he's averaging 28% less yards/carry with a long of 24. The stats only confirm what is readily apparent on the television screen. He's finally staying healthy enough to play but seems to have lost the big play ability.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

At the moment it is hard to tell with all the permutations, I know one thing for sure though. Only Alexander and Amedola show me enough to warrant keeping.
    Alexander looks great, IF he can stay healthy we have a keeper there.
    Amendola isnt a number 1 or 2, I love his heart,toughness, and hands. Keeper.
    The rest are replaceable, there is very little between the lot. There all below average.
    Gibson and Clayton catch my eye most out of the rest though.
    I dont want us to draft a reciever in the first round next year either, with Bradford at QB, we can get by with a good free agent, nothing too costly though, like what the Pats do a lot.
    Id love a stud TE for Bradford who doesnt get injured all the time, are 2 best recievers are accidents waiting to happen?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

When I saw this topic, that was the first thing I thought. With an Elite TE (and One deep threat WR) it doesnt matter who the players are. I love ILL Mike , but his speed and size doesnt not threaten the seam (where great TE live) A great TE would be Bradfords best friend (See Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, etc)
    But I did vote Robinson and Gibson off the "island". And Avery because of his injury concerns is right behind. just imagine...A deep threat to stretch the field, and TE to threaten the seam. a great possesion wr (Dola) and an elite RB (Jackson) with a great QB running it all.....thats the formula I would be searching for in FA and the draft for the offense.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The only receiver I see on that list who I think is a lock to make the 2011 Rams is Danny Amendola. Everyone else has question marks, IMO.

Danario Alexander has shown ability as a situational receiver, but can the Rams really afford to pass on receiver help because of a player who, while talented, has had five knee surgeries already in his career? If he stays healthy and develops, great. But I wouldn't shape my personnel strategy around him just yet.

Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton are both coming off of injuries, and you just can't guarantee how a player is going to return after something like that. We'd like to assume that they'll be exactly who they were before they were hurt, but you just never know. On top of that, Clayton is scheduled for free agency, so he may not even be back.

Gibson and Robinson have been adequate for the time being, but it's hard to imagine them as key pieces to an upper echelon receiving corps. Their inconsistency remains a factor, and should the Rams upgrade the top end of this unit, they're probably going to be pushed down towards the roster bubble.

Then there's Mardy Gilyard, who just hasn't come along. Even knowing that receivers take a while before they break out, you would have liked to see him show something more than what he has. Maybe a full offseason devoted to the playbook will help for 2011. He certainly has some skill, especially as a return man.

So if I had to make a prediction now, here's who I think is back...

-Amendola (too good of a slot man & connection w/ Sam)
    -Clayton (looked like a legit starter when healthy)
    -Avery (one of the few Rams WRs who can challenge deep)
    -Alexander (can contribute if he can stay healthy)
    -Gilyard (too soon to give up on a fourth round pick)

That leaves Gibson and Robinson on the bubble. If the Rams add a potential starting receiver in the offseason, I think both could be gone. If they don't, then I think one of them is shown the door, and that'd probably be Robinson at this rate.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

1) Alexander

2) Clayton/Avery

3) Amendola

4) Avery/Gibson

5) Gibson/Gilyard

Robinson will be the odd man out.

MizzouRams is offline Registered User

I'm a Mizzou fan... LOVED Alexander obviously. Would also obviously LOVE it if he became a great player.

But all that said, this knee of his has been hurt so many times you unfortunately expect him to get it injured again. Such a shame, and I feel terrible for him.... but I would NOT feel comfortable "counting" on him.

I'd love to be wrong. He looks like the real deal when healthy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast